End of an era for Charcoal Goods

Errol

Razor Review Guru
This morning I received an email from Brian at Charcoal Goods to advise that he had retired at the end of 2022. All remaining stock, not that there was much left, was to sold off at discounted prices. I thought I’d like to get one of his last razors but all that was available was level #1’s so I did not buy any. I have a few Charcoal Goods razors so these will become cherished possessions, they are all nice to shave with.

No more Charcoal Goods. Good luck Brian with your retirement.

Yes, I got the same email.
I always wanted a Charcoal Goods razor and may have emailed him a few times over the years but was never able to get one. I had my heart set on one but with Covid times and such it made it that much more difficult as shipping was near impossible (plus I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to parcel forwarding and have no idea what to do) and I was put off trying to sort out an issue with another razor manufacturer. It was just the perfect storm of failure on my end with many other variables. Charcoal Goods razors are truly wonderful from what I have read around the internet.
I did look this morning too for one last crack at it but there was near to nothing by the time I got there.

It's pretty sad to be honest and packing up shop or leaving a job after so many years is pretty stressful and depressing so I wish him nothing but the best in retirement.
What I would really like to see is perhaps the website to remain in some form as a career retrospective. I know whenever I would see his razors on "Shave of the Days" around the internet I would save the pics of the ones that I liked which happened to be more times than not.

All the best Brian!
Thanks for your contribution to the wet shaving community.

A shame for the wetshaving community, but at least it is a retirement and hopefully Brian can enjoy that time.

He very generously donated a one of a kind Charcoal Goods Generation 1 Level 2 razor with a unique Paste & Cut engraving on the backplate for our 2019 Paste & Cut Charity Auction.

Gj89Wil.jpg

This will be even more special now.

A shame for the wetshaving community, but at least it is a retirement and hopefully Brian can enjoy that time.

He very generously donated a one of a kind Charcoal Goods Generation 1 Level 2 razor with a unique Paste & Cut engraving on the backplate for our 2019 Paste & Cut Charity Auction.

Gj89Wil.jpg

WOW! The stinger handle too!
What a generous offering. I hope he stopped by and noticed how much his contributions meant at the time.

This and Maze are the handles that I remember most but there are others that are so nice too.

EDIT: Adding the link to that Auction because it's such a great one for this community for many reasons.

Last edited:
WOW! The stinger handle too!
What a generous offering. I hope he stopped by and noticed how much his contributions meant at the time.

This and Maze are the handles that I remember most but there are others that are so nice too.

EDIT: Adding the link to that Auction because it's such a great one for this community for many reasons.

... with the ever generous @todras ensuring that it went around another time - https://paste-and-cut.com.au/commun...n-1-level-2-solid-brass-paste-cut-razor.6373/

It has been very well loved!

Gj89Wil.jpg

I'm sad to see Charcoal Goods shut up shop as Brian had a talent for designing iconic razors and handles. If my memory serves me Dan had a part to play in arranging the donation so extra sentimentality and only fitting that the P&C 2019 LE razor ended up in your collection... (y)