Disappointed buys

Yeah I had a bit of a laugh at myself about it later... me being a cheapskate has prevented me from having a lather bowl for nearly 4 months, to save an amount that I regularly waste on other non-essentials! And now I'm back at square one. Won't happen again; no more Ali-non-Express for me. I like the look of the Fine lather bowls from Vshod.
That's a bit rough with the bowl sorry mate, was it a DS-cosmetics one? I had a glass beaker sent in foam wrap in a padded bag arrive in shards and powder a year ago from ebay. Disputed it with them, got them to post me another in proper packaging or money back, and poor review. got a new one super quick and well packaged.

As for bowls, I just ordered a timeless bowl from Maggards and spoke to Yaqi HQ about making something like these. I don't know if they will end up making them but fingers crossed as they seemed very interested.

That's a bit rough with the bowl sorry mate, was it a DS-cosmetics one? I had a glass beaker sent in foam wrap in a padded bag arrive in shards and powder a year ago from ebay. Disputed it with them, got them to post me another in proper packaging or money back, and poor review. got a new one super quick and well packaged.
As for bowls, I just ordered a timeless bowl from Maggards and spoke to Yaqi HQ about making something like these. I don't know if they will end up making them but fingers crossed as they seemed very interested.
Not sure of the brand, just a generic ceramic bowl. Funny thing was the box was not damaged, and it was well wrapped in bubble wrap. Pursuing AliExpress now to see if I can get any refund, but won't waste too much energy there... I just ordered a 'Fine Accoutrements' bowl but hey that 3D printed one looks great! Might see if a mate can print one up.

<edit> Interesting, I just got some quick online quotes for that 3D bowl. One place $35, another $85... Searching on '3D printing lather bowl' brings up a number of other designs. I hope Yaqi get serious! </edit>

Last edited:
Not sure of the brand, just a generic ceramic bowl. Funny thing was the box was not damaged, and it was well wrapped in bubble wrap. Pursuing AliExpress now to see if I can get any refund, but won't waste too much energy there... I just ordered a 'Fine Accoutrements' bowl but hey that 3D printed one looks great! Might see if a mate can print one up.

<edit> Interesting, I just got some quick online quotes for that 3D bowl. One place $35, another $85... Searching on '3D printing lather bowl' brings up a number of other designs. I hope Yaqi get serious! </edit>
One of these bad boys?

I got some quotes, about 15 of them actually. one guy quoted $20 but his quality was absolute garbage. other quotes ranged from $35 up to $120, all excluding $9-15 postage. I know David at Yaqi Aus is keen to get some different bowls but I hope Yaqi Factory comes to the table.

One of these bad boys?

I got some quotes, about 15 of them actually. one guy quoted $20 but his quality was absolute garbage. other quotes ranged from $35 up to $120, all excluding $9-15 postage. I know David at Yaqi Aus is keen to get some different bowls but I hope Yaqi Factory comes to the table.

Chinese has stolen the original style of Captain's Choice lather bowl below, I prefer to buy the original bowl instead of the clone below.

Captains_Choice_Cobalt_Large_Lather_Bowl__37238.1511514732.1280.1280.jpg

Chinese clone stolen copy below

Hcebfaf4867c14c0eb759c5de24997c06R.jpg

Palmolive shave stick, it dehydrates on the skin so quickly after apply on the skin, and I think it has too many hypes form the internet.

Palmolive shave stick, it dehydrates on the skin so quickly after apply on the skin, and I think it has too many hypes form the internet.
The European Palmolive shave stick version doesn’t dehydrate quickly, if, you add the right amount of water while building your lather correctly.

I got one of these bowls and its by far my go to shave bowl as its deep, has great grooves and is practically indestructible!!!
https://www.westcoastshaving.com/collections/pereira-shavery

The European Palmolive shave stick version doesn’t dehydrate quickly, if, you add the right amount of water while building your lather correctly.
Thanks for the tip, I will try it tomorrow.
Also forgot, don’t use too much soap from the stick, otherwise, you’ll have a very thirsty lather and you’ll need more water.

There’s a learning curve you need to learn and understand from the shave stick when using the right amount of soap and water.

Last edited:
Hmmm, does it really need to be said...

Rockwell Model T adjustable razor. A 3 year wait, in which time the design/material changed from what was initially suggested (and therefore the premise on which many placed their pre-order) with PLENTY of delays along the way.
Then when the finished product finally shipped, there were numerous quality issues that, at least for me, were never fixed.

Also, Proraso green. I've tried three tubs over the past 10+ years and have never, not once, been happy with it. I always PIF the tub after a few shaves each time.

Also, Proraso green. I've tried three tubs over the past 10+ years and have never, not once, been happy with it. I always PIF the tub after a few shaves each time.
I felt the same about Proraso white. The description sort of implies something not too overly scented, so when I opened it to find it stank of "something" artificial, I was happy to give it away.