DE blades found at local store

Ybbor

Just wondering what blades can be found out there at your local supermarket or chemist etc

I have found white wilkinson sword 10 packs at some Woolworth's.

Those Wilks are Brazilian made, not very good and the last time I checked were $13+ dollars a pack. I can buy Spoilers from eBay for less!

ShaverShop usually have some DE blades in, I think Astras + Derby usually. Prices are similar to the supermarkets. I would only buy them in an emergency.

Some chemists also stock them, although not the bigger chains. Usually you need to head to the smaller ones, and it is mostly the Brazilian Wilkinsons. Some also stock the very decent 'Windsor' soap pucks in a metal container with a brush for ~$10. Not the greatest combo but miles ahead of any canned goop. There's a bit of a following over YKW with the Windsor soap - the few yanks who have gotten their grubby mitts on a puck usually are very impressed.

Your best bet for DE blades is Indian and Middle Eastern supermarkets/stores.

I was looking in the shave section of my local chemist a couple of months ago and noticed a nice looking package of windsor soap next to the Mennen sticks and "shave" tube, I thought for $7 it's worth a try. Didn't realise it was the most expensive cake of bath soap I've ever bought till I got home. The DE blades they had were the same overpriced wilks in coles/woolies.

Just wondering what blades can be found out there at your local supermarket or chemist etc

I have found white wilkinson sword 10 packs at some Woolworth's.

That's all I've seen around here also.

I have seen some GEM SE blades at one pharmacy... Dont remember the price though :/

I have seen the blue astras at a barber once, it is much easier and cheaper to get blades from vendors.

I have seen some GEM SE blades at one pharmacy... Dont remember the price though :/

I saw these at a chemist also but they are not suitable for shaving.

GemBlades.jpg

Lol.... Well that clears that up!

Why do they put them with shaving stuff then?????

What are they for?

No idea why they sell them with the shaving gear, mind you my GEM PTFE blades for connaught say industrial use only. You are welcome to try those blades and report back to us on the results :D

No idea why they sell them with the shaving gear, mind you my GEM PTFE blades for connaught say industrial use only. You are welcome to try those blades and report back to us on the results :D

Lol .... Well my beard is think but I don't know if it's industrially thick :p

Would give them a go but don't own a SE ...yet:confused:

Lynchy I was lucky enough to be PIF'd an SE by Mark, I have discovered its not for me so if you are interested in trying it I will happily send it to you with a couple blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynchy I was lucky enough to be PIF'd an SE by Mark, I have discovered its not for me so if you are interested in trying it I will happily send it to you with a couple blades.

Wow that's super kind.....

I would live to try one out and will pass it on if I'm no fan either!

Just shoot me a PM whenever your keen! Thanks heaps!

Hmmm now do I still have to stand by my word and try those paint scraper blades? :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
No problems, PM incoming.

It will have a couple new blades with it so don't worry about buying any just yet.