Blade review: Lord Platinum Class

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Gents,

I'm going to be trying out a bunch of blades soon and I thought I'd try and partially payback the kindness of others who shared them with me by popping up a few thoughts on them.....love to hear what others think as well.

The reviews will be:
  • Blades will be done in no particular order - randomly chosen
  • I'll use the same soap (P160/Arko blend) for all shaves
  • Same basic 2-pass shave will be done with shower beforehand - generally shaving each day.
  • A Gillette Redtip will be the razor used for all blades (selected as it's kind of middle of the road for aggression) - if a blade performs well I might put it in my Slant as well.
  • Good blades might be used for a few shaves but rubbish blades will be tossed as early as the first pass!!!

Anyway....first can off the rank is the Lord Platinum Class blade. I believe I was sent a pack of these several yrs ago by our own very generous oligarch, RM. I think they're meant to be the top of the line blade for Egyptian mega-shaving company, Lord - how did they go?

lord plat.jpg

Sharpness of Blade/Closeness of shave: 5/10, from the very first stroke it felt like a blade that needed to be changed out (4-5 shaves on the blade!). Was not enjoyable at all. The sharpness was lucky to be average. I found that I ended up struggling to get a close shave as it wasn't a smooth or comfortable blade to use either. Not impressed at all so far.

Smoothness of Shave/Comfort of Shave: 6/10, again really mediocre. I was needing to do some extra work but my skin was warning me NOT to do anymore as it'd had enough after 2 passes. Ended up with a average shave but with some rough areas on the jawline/neck where it would have caused too much irritation to do anymore.

Post-shave irritation/cuts: One tiny mark on neck, no rash etc but felt a bit scratchy after use.

Overall score for blade 6/10

Comments: This was a very forgettable blade. Hard to believe it's Lord's top offering as I'm sure I've felt Shark SS's are superior to these when I've used in the past. I binned it after the one shave as it was just not nice to use at all. I won't be using them again, not recommended.