Blade Review: Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow SharpEdge

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Folks,

Well I know its a very common blade but I'd never actually used one of these until last evening (thanks to RM for the opportunity to try :)

As everyone knows this sits in Gillette's 7 O'Clock family of blades (yellow, black, dark blue & green) which seem to generally hail from Russia but some also come by way of India (some mixed reports regarding this).

soc yellow.jpg

All these blades tend to be reasonably well regarded and sit towards the mid-top of current production blades in terms of cost per blade, so how did they perform for me:

Sharpness of Blade/Closeness of shave: 9/10, ok the sharpness of this blade was immediately noticeable. Clearly a step up in this regard than anything I'd used recently. I did this review in a Merkur 37c (slant) and it just ate the hairs up like they weren't there. Sharpness is clearly the blades forte.

Smoothness of Shave/Comfort of Shave: 7.5/10, when you're very sharp its always going to be a lil tricky to come across as super smooth and easy on the skin. Alas I had a bit of a poor lather going on this shave & my missus jostling to use the bathroom as well to do her legs (it's like she KNOWS when I am planning a big in depth shave!). So I'd think there's upside for the blade in this regard.

Post-shave irritation/cuts: Absolutely nothing except a lil prickliness around my lips and mouth where perhaps my ATG pass with the slant was optomisitic in light of the sub-par lather (MNS Bayrum - I'm sure it was a bad batch! As the others are fine).

Overall score for blade 8+/10, again a plus score as I think this blade has upside in the smooth side of things, plus I don't know at this point what it's longevity is going to be like. IME some of these really sharp blades can really drop off badly in performance suddenly after 2 shaves, so further use alone will establish this. BUT I was genuinely impressed by this blade and feel that its a very good piece of kit.

Comments: This blade definitely strikes me as a great buy, I think this review by the well regarded user, Squire over on SMF sums it up quite well. He scored it as the 2nd best blade overall (onpar with the original Super Iridium).

It definitely bring great results out in an aggressive razor, I don't think I've had a better single pass result from my slant ever (have not used a Feather in it yet). Will try it in my Slim next to see if something a tad more demure extracts the same excellent results.

Wow, Squire is one serious blade dude. What a list. If you consider that he's taken images of the edge of each blade, in many cases has used them in 4 or 5 different razors, you can't help but be impressed.

Looking at the numbers, aside from the few performers (sharpness being the defining characteristic of these) and a few floozies I've never heard of, it's......yes, you guessed it......pretty much of a muchness. Comforting really. It confirms that I can continue my blade selection criteria (not that I'm actively hunting anything but still..) only using the colour and pictures of the packaging and basically not go wrong. Or, just confidently grab whatever blade comes my way.

Sharks, my staple diet, he recommends with a relatively high score of 6.85 and mentions that the logo alone is worth the price of the blade. I like Mr Squire. He's obviously got style and class .

7am - 6.5
7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless, green box, India - 7.25
7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (stainless), yellow box, Russia - 7.5
7 O'Clock Super Platinum, black box, India - 6.75
7 O'Clock Super Stainless, green box, Russia - 6.75
Asco Red Box - 6.25
Astra Blue/White - 6.5
Astra Keramic - 6.75
Astra Superior Platinum - 6.25
Bic from Greece - 6.75
Croma - 6.65
Crystal - 6.75
Derby - 7.0
Dorco 300 - 6.0
Dorco 301 - 6.5-6.75
Feather - 8.0
Gillette Bleue Extra - 6.75
Gillette Face-Guard - 1.0?
Kai - 7.0
Ladas - 6.35
Lord - 6.35
Lord Big Ben Purple Box - 6.25
Lord Racer Blue Box - 6.35
Minora - 6.25
Polsilver - 7.25
Red Personna - 6.25
Shark - 6.85
Sharp Stainless - 6.0
Shogun - <6
Sputnik - 6.0
Super Iridium - 7.5
Super-Max Platinum - 6.75
Super-Max Super Stainless - 6.25
Swedish Gillettes - 6.75
Tesco - 6.35
Tiger - 6.0
Treet Black Beauties - 6.5
Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated - 7.0
Treet Dura Sharp Hi-Tech Steel - 6.0
Treet Dura Sharp Stainless - 6.25
Treet Platinum Stainless - 6.75
Trig - 6.25
Viking - 6.65
Voskhod - 6.35
Wilkinson Economie - 6.25 -
Wilkinson Sword, India - 6.85
Wilkinson, The Blade, England - 7.35
Zorrick - 6.5

Last edited:
I think many would go the other way round on those but there you go. What about Dorco 301? Wouldn't buy them because the name is just a mistake and the packaging is boring but otherwise....

Yes, I don't know how much of an exact science Squire's blade reviews are but they're an interesting read nonetheless. I think that the focus of his review is examining the edge bevelling/sharpening itself - hence there's a lot of other stuff that goes towards making a great blade which may not be captured in his reviews.

So they're definitely not in any way definitive IMHO as I'd imagine a LOT more testing is needed to establish the sharpness alone let alone the other areas that make a good blade, I only included it as I remembered this was where I first got the thought that I should try these blades.

Gillette Bleue Extra - 6.75

The man is a genius :)

Not at all. Should really be a 7-7.25 on that scale in my opinion.

I also believe that the SI score is overblown by 0.5-0.85 points, the Light Brigades are underscored by about 1 whole point, Vokshods by 0.5 point. And how the Blacks are outscored by the Yellows is beyond me.

That list and those scores are irrelevant.

PJ does have a point about how blades are subjective to each person. I positively hate Derbys and don't like to shave with them, and find Voskhods awesome yet the scoring on that list show those tow the other way around.

So to me, that's just a list of blades.

I pay no attention to the scores other than a number someone else made up.

The only way you can pay attention to it is to find someone who broadly have similar blade tastes to your own, and see what they like that you are yet to try.

In my case, there are a few over YKW that have the same blade taste as myself. In fact, we recommend and try blades that the other likes.

Then on the flip side, Drubs hates just about every blade I like and vice versa.

Theese are my go to at the moment! Seeing as I just bought 100.

Blades are very subjective IMHO, and this is one that works very well for me.

I hate the greens and am not fussed on the blues?

Don't know if I agree with the Squire though lol..... Some off those scores seem waaaaay off :cheesy: