Beat the heat Soaps

Also a blast from the past - Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango.
Did you like that? I've still got a barely used extreme Arctic mango that I can't decide if I like. The cooling side of it works, but I always found Anthony's soaps to be a bit too sweet.

Did you like that? I've still got a barely used extreme Arctic mango that I can't decide if I like. The cooling side of it works, but I always found Anthony's soaps to be a bit too sweet.
Mango hey ... That's very tropical. How sweet is it though? Strong mango smell?

Mango hey ... That's very tropical. How sweet is it though? Strong mango smell?
It's more like a mango sweet than real mango from memory. But it is icy cold. I'll check to make sure I haven't already given it away and will bring it along to the next meet if you are interested?

It's more like a mango sweet than real mango from memory. But it is icy cold. I'll check to make sure I haven't already given it away and will bring it along to the next meet if you are interested?
Sure, or a sample at least. I'll have some to share too.

Someone mention extreme arctic mango ?

G'day Eggs - yep, love the mango peach musk citrus vibe of arctic mango. One of my summer favourites.
Decent menthol but not glacial.

I hope it's OK to revive an "old" thread.

I'm on the hunt for a really nice menthol shaving soap. I do have Prorazor green and absolutely love it. But for me it doesnt have the "real" mentol blast that i am looking for. I want something with so much chill that it reminds me of stepping out of a warm car on a cold winters day in Totonto (had to touch my face as i thought something had flown by in the wind and cut me!)

I have looked thru all of this thread. Many of the soaps mentioned are no longer available at retail. There are a few that i could find at Stirling Soaps - and i will try those once i figure out how their samples work.

But are there others that are currently available retail and come highly recommended for a huge menthol blast?

I hope it's OK to revive an "old" thread.

I'm on the hunt for a really nice menthol shaving soap. I do have Prorazor green and absolutely love it. But for me it doesnt have the "real" mentol blast that i am looking for. I want something with so much chill that it reminds me of stepping out of a warm car on a cold winters day in Totonto (had to touch my face as i thought something had flown by in the wind and cut me!)

I have looked thru all of this thread. Many of the soaps mentioned are no longer available at retail. There are a few that i could find at Stirling Soaps - and i will try those once i figure out how their samples work.

But are there others that are currently available retail and come highly recommended for a huge menthol blast?
I like menthol and have many menthol options that I use.
PAA Frostbyte - quite strong and unscented, I sometimes use it by itself but you can also combine it with scented non menthol soaps.
PAA Ice Cube Preshave - great way to add menthol to any soap.
Home made menthol drops - equal parts menthol crystals, isocol, and witch hazel. A few drops added to lather gives a good menthol kick.
Aside from those I have a few mentholated soaps but I mainly go for non mentholated now so I have the choice to use the Ice Cube or drops when I want.

Home made menthol drops - equal parts menthol crystals, isocol, and witch hazel. A few drops added to lather gives a good menthol kick.

Thanks for the reply! I have been searching for PAA Frostbyte but for some reason couldn't find it. But managed to track it down after your post. I think adding the PAA to the search made the difference. It came up on my first search but was out of stock everywhere - so thank you for that :)

The "home made" menthol drops sound really interesting. You mix all 3 ingredients equally? And i presume that you get menthol crystals from the local chemist or eBay?

Thanks for the reply! I have been searching for PAA Frostbyte but for some reason couldn't find it. But managed to track it down after your post. I think adding the PAA to the search made the difference. It came up on my first search but was out of stock everywhere - so thank you for that :)

The "home made" menthol drops sound really interesting. You mix all 3 ingredients equally? And i presume that you get menthol crystals from the local chemist or eBay?
The Stray Whisker are the only PAA stockist in Australia, they're out of Frostbyte currently unfortunately. You can try direct of through Top of The Chain but shipping at the moment is slow.
The drops mix was equal parts, it's a bit strong for a splash but works for adding to soap. For splash I have 100ml witch hazel with a heaped teaspoon of crystals and just a small squirt of isocol to help keep the crystals dissolved. I was given menthol crystals to try but will be getting more, the best price seems to be from PipingRock but they're US based so at the moment it might be worth buying from local sellers on eBay if you're happy to pay more to get them sooner.

Stirling make soaps with menthol or extra menthol (the glacial range). Alternatively, you can make any soap, balm or aftershave as cold as you like with Stirling's Frost Drops. Simply shake the bottle and place drops to suit to your desired level of menthol to a loaded brush, bowl lather, balm or aftershave. Using the search bar on artisanarcade.com (after dismissing the temporary auspost warning) you can find all soaps with menthol or extra menthol (glacial).

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Give Fine snake bite a go
Thanks Nico. Unfortunately it's out of stock at the moment but I have put my email address down so that i get notified as soon as it's available (and so that i don't forget about it!)

The Stray Whisker are the only PAA stockist in Australia

Thanks. That's why i couldn't find anyone with it in stock here in Australia. After your post i googled it again and saw that the USA supplier has it in stock so I bought it from the USA and am getting it shipped to my freight forwarder in Portland - along with a bunch of other stuff! Only problem is that it will take some time to get here.

The drops mix was equal parts, it's a bit strong for a splash but works for adding to soap. For splash I have 100ml witch hazel with a heaped teaspoon of crystals and just a small squirt of isocol to help keep the crystals dissolved.

That's awesome. Thanks for the instructions and for the info re sourcing the menthol crystals. I have never used witch hazel. In fact, i had never heard of it until i started this wet shaving journey. I have added it to the list! I am keen to try to make my own - just for the fun of it really! I presume that i could use pure Isopropyl alcohol (which i have heaps of for my work) instead of isocol?

Stirling make soaps with menthol or extra menthol (the glacial range). Alternatively, you can make any soap, balm or aftershave as cold as you like with Stirling's Frost Drops.

Thanks for the heads up. The order is already in :) Can you tell me how the Stirling samples work? Are they "grated flakes" and do i need to melt them down into a little jar or similar to be able to use them? I bought samples of all the "chill" varieties that i couls see. Once i have tried the samples i will order a few of the full sized tubs. I also ordered some "Bay Rum" and "Barbershop" varieties because i see them mentioned so any times - and again, have no idea what Bay Rum or a Barbershop smells like - so it will be nice to try them.

+1 You really notice the menthol when opening the tub

Hahaha ... I'm really looking forward to that :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and advice.

Thanks Nico. Unfortunately it's out of stock at the moment but I have put my email address down so that i get notified as soon as it's available (and so that i don't forget about it!)

Thanks. That's why i couldn't find anyone with it in stock here in Australia. After your post i googled it again and saw that the USA supplier has it in stock so I bought it from the USA and am getting it shipped to my freight forwarder in Portland - along with a bunch of other stuff! Only problem is that it will take some time to get here.

That's awesome. Thanks for the instructions and for the info re sourcing the menthol crystals. I have never used witch hazel. In fact, i had never heard of it until i started this wet shaving journey. I have added it to the list! I am keen to try to make my own - just for the fun of it really! I presume that i could use pure Isopropyl alcohol (which i have heaps of for my work) instead of isocol?

Thanks for the heads up. The order is already in :) Can you tell me how the Stirling samples work? Are they "grated flakes" and do i need to melt them down into a little jar or similar to be able to use them? I bought samples of all the "chill" varieties that i couls see. Once i have tried the samples i will order a few of the full sized tubs. I also ordered some "Bay Rum" and "Barbershop" varieties because i see them mentioned so any times - and again, have no idea what Bay Rum or a Barbershop smells like - so it will be nice to try them.

Hahaha ... I'm really looking forward to that :)
If you're going to use pure isopropyl I'd say use a lot less because isocol is diluted to 64%.

If you're going to use pure isopropyl I'd say use a lot less because isocol

Ok. Thanks. First time round I might stick to using the isocol. It looks like chemist's warehouse and priceline both sell it so it should be easy enough to find. I will order some menthol flakes off ebay as well. Once I get organized I will provide an update as to how it worked out :)

Stirling chill soaps are nice enough, but only at around the proraso level of cooling. Their glacial line is where the really cold stuff is at

Stirling chill soaps are nice enough, but only at around the proraso level of cooling. Their glacial line is where the really cold stuff is at

Thanks for the heads up. I have the prorazo green. I don't really find it very chilling at all TBH. I think that I ordered samples of both the chill and glacial ones. I will let everyone know how I go when they arrive and I get to try them.