Artisan Soaps, you blokes weren't kidding!

thisISjoel

So I've only been a member here for a short time, but in my introductory thread I asked some questions about artisan soaps and a very kind and generous user @SydBJW offered to sell me some soaps he wasn't using for a KILLER deal. So obviously I did it and today my package arrived with a Shaver Heaven Barbershop, Barrister and Mann Rhapsody and a handful of samples (generous or what?). Sadly, I had already shaved today :( however, I couldn't help myself whipping up a test lather for both the SH and B&M and holy moly I've never felt lather like this before! The thickness, the creaminess! I can't wait to have a shave with these soaps!

Thanks again to @SydBJW and thanks to you blokes for pointing me on the right path of the artisan soap!

Glad you liked the soaps @thisISjoel :)

Hope you have a great time using them. When I first started here there was many generous advice/help and product sharing from many on this board to me, I was just trying to help out.

I hope I haven't started a soap buying frenzy :)

Glad you liked the soaps @thisISjoel :)

Hope you have a great time using them. When I first started here there was many generous advice/help and product sharing from many on this board to me, I was just trying to help out.

I hope I haven't started a soap buying frenzy :)

Well I haven't logged onto shaver heaven yet but who knows what will happen once I actually shave with it :p

The @Barrister & Mann 'Rhapsody' is a strange scent, very cologne-like but really well executed homage to the Nicolai fragrance 'New York'. It's coming into it's prime use time being Spring to early Summer so you are a lucky guy. I am about to rotate it into my regular use soaps once we hit constant 22-23 degree days in Sydney.

It's no longer listed on the B&M site as it is out of stock... but I have the data for you:

In the mid-1980s, the House of Nicolaï released a beautiful, stately fragrance for men under the name “New York.” Bright and citrusy, but with distinct floral and spicy elements, it soon became a favorite among men of wealth, power, and prestige. Patricia de Nicolaï herself, catapulted by the success of this and many other masterpieces bearing her signature, eventually became director of the Osmotheque, the world’s scent archive. In the wake of her meteoric rise and continually prolific work for her House, many of her earlier creations, including New York, have been largely forgotten in favor of newer, shinier aquatics and dry, earthy vetiver/citrus creations.

But not everyone has forgotten them.

In the spirit of the title “New York,” we decided to incorporate the scent of pear blossoms, which bloom in Central Park in the springtime and have a famously pungent odor, into a citrus/floral/spice structure to symbolize the beauty of Spring (when the snow finally melts). Because using only our pear blossom accord made the fragrance rather heavy, we decided to lighten it with the scents of apple and cherry blossoms, incorporating all three accords into a base of lemon, orange, orange flower, rose, bay, thyme, sandalwood, patchouli, musk, lavender, and vanilla. The result was a bright, sweet, citrusy scent with a distinctly floral cast and a richly smooth base, perfect for still-chilly Spring mornings where it’s hard to justify getting out of bed. Bright and uplifting, Rhapsody is sure to leave you feeling refreshed and ready to face the day.

We blend all of our fragrances in house and by hand; we do not and never will use pre-blended fragrances for our soaps. Each batch of fragrance is individually blended for a specific batch of soap; we blend our fragrances each and every time to ensure the absolute highest quality.

Please note that our formula produces a very thirsty soap. More water than you are otherwise accustomed to may be required to provide sufficient glide and keep the lather from drying out, but trust us: it’s worth it.

Ingredients: Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Ricinoleate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Fragrance, Coconut Milk, Potassium Kokum Butterate, Sodium Kokum Butterate, Unrefined Shea Butter, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Lanolin, Allantoin, Silk Protein, Tocopherol Acetate.

Honestly, I am still yet to find a soap that gives the mix of cushion and glide that B&M does while being as user-friendly that shaving noobs can get what is a bloody amazing result. It is just seriously good stuff - just ask any of the guys purchasing the excess Latha soaps I brought in during the last group buy.

Shaver Heaven being local is bloody dangerous if you ask me. Well regarded the world over, and @Anthony is not only an awesome bloke but here to answer your questions. He almost has too many scents in the range as it gets too expensive to try them all.

Mated to a quality synthetic brush like the Plissitane, or even the Fine Angelhair & similar brushes, most of these artisan products you you this thick, yoghurty lather which you add a bit more water too and its slicker than an oiled ice rink. The scents are amazing too.

Ok, so I have now shaved with both the Shaver Heaven and the Barrister and Mann, thoughts below:

Shaver Heaven - Barbershop
I didn't really know what to expect from a Barbershop scent, I've never had one before. I found the scent very mild, but pleasant enough. The soap lathered really, really nicely and provided cushion and slickness. Face feel was really nice too.

Barrister and Mann - Rhapsody
Man, when I took the lid off this one I wasn't sure about the scent at all. It's a really strong scent and not what I expected. Once lathered though it settled into a really, really great scent. Performance on this soap was phenomenal! Slickness and protection in spades! Face feel was incredible and not a nick or weeper to be found!

Artisan soaps are the real deal!

Ok, so I have now shaved with both the Shaver Heaven and the Barrister and Mann, thoughts below:

I didn't really know what to expect from a Barbershop scent, I've never had one before. I found the scent very mild, but pleasant enough. The soap lathered really, really nicely and provided cushion and slickness. Face feel was really nice too.

Man, when I took the lid off this one I wasn't sure about the scent at all. It's a really strong scent and not what I expected. Once lathered though it settled into a really, really great scent. Performance on this soap was phenomenal! Slickness and protection in spades! Face feel was incredible and not a nick or weeper to be found!

Absolutely!!! A BBS shave cannot be obtained without the perfect lather IMO - even if everything else is perfect.

Don't get to hung up on scents at the moment - although that's all people write about, it's the performance that is important. Once you know which soaps you like best performance wise, you can hunt down the scents you are after...

Wait until you try vintage soaps and blades :)

I am glad you liked them. Your wallet won't like me in the future as you want to try more and more different ones :)