Anybody into BBQ ?

giphy.gif

Hey Fred!!!! (@Nico) COME AND GET IT, @Jimmy giving away FREE BBQ RIBS!!!

I used to have a Webber but in my zeal to move I left the battered old girl behind....
My new house has mains gas to the BBQ however :)
I should really fix it all up for spring time, but I spend the winter making jerky

Yeah I saw that in Melbourne, isolation must have driven them crazy. Off of the back of 3 yes thats right 3 complaints. Wow just wow.

@nsavage nothing wrong with a Weber q. The other two the kettle and fornetto they are great BBQs.

I am no expert but I try and I succeed most times though there have been failures.

No free ribs here @SpeedyPC happy to give free advice though. Not that I am a rib expert. What I will say is that start with baby back Pork ribs as they have more meat on them. Spare ribs here in Aus don't have enough meat on them IMO. Beef ribs are sensational cooked for 6-8 hours.

Used to have an insulated steel kamado, Weber performer, some other weber kettles, offset smoker, wood / charcoal spit, cold smoker and a gas BBQ. Used all sorts of wood and charcoal. Best results were with thick King Island "ox" beef ribs with 3/2/1 and 18 hours low and slow for a whole (circa 4-5kg) piece of chuck, both in the kamado. Or low n slow lamb shoulder with rosemary smoke. Or smoked cheddar. Or cedar plank salmon. I could go on...

Was fairly active on Smoke, Fire and Food and ABBQ forum back in the day, with regular catch ups here in Perth.

Then we had some health issues in the family come to a head a bit over 3 years ago - a combination of heart disease, stroke, cancer and alzheimers among various family members. Also lost my Dad at the same time as part of that, so it really hit home. In the aftermath, started doing some serious research into the link between meat / dairy consumption and all those issues, as well as the similarity in the carcinogens in tobacco smoke with those in wood smoke, as I often wondered about that.

The result was that we sold everything except for the kamado 3 years ago and the kamado only gets used now to cook other people's stuff when they come over for a social occassion. Funny thing is that after going "cold turkey", without the turkey, I haven't missed it at all... and there was no way I would have believed anyone at the time who said that would happen.

Really not trying to convert anyone with this story but it's my story - in case someone wants to do similar research on all this, this is a good place to start: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-liquid-smoke-flavoring-carcinogenic/

And please don't let this post derail this thread as we would quickly get into banned territory on this forum and it's not something I want to debate here anyway. As you were...

I have an 18-year-old 4-burner with hood and super-hot 18MJ wok burner on my verandah, where it gets used summer and winter. It got some rough treatment from removalists in the move from Perth to Adelaide Hills, and from there to TAS, so eventually I might end up pulling the functional parts out of it and making a new base...

I have a Fornetto bullet smoker. First thing I ever cooked on there was the classic beer can chicken. Since then I've smoked all kinds of meat - wings, pork + beef ribs, pork butt, even got a brisket on there once. My fave rub is Rub Some Butt - it's an absolute killer on chicken. It's a shame the Fornetto doesn't hold temp as well as I'd like, but that might also be my newbish smoking skill. It's definitely a cheaper version of the Weber. I'd love to get an offset smoker... maybe one day