Shave of the Day Thread - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I6EpKlu.jpg

First use of Family
Second use of the Outlaw

-Family-
Anybody who knows me knows how much of a Soap Commander fanboy I am so I won't waffle on about the fact it was a brilliant lather as always. Scent out of the tub is excellent, I'm not picking up much of the cedar but the citrus and coconut are clear while neither are taking over, another good mix. Like many of their scents it's a low to mid scent strength which suits the bright and sweeter scents well, although with this one I found it a little weaker when lathered instead of staying at the same level or even opening up more as I would've preferred. A minor complaint really, if you can even call wanting more of the scent because I really like it a complaint at all.

-Outlaw-
The first use was with only 1 days growth so I patiently went 5 days this time to see what it could do with more to remove. It's a very efficient razor and did a great job with no nicks or irritation. It's likely going to settle into a high ranking in the collection, definitely top 5, maybe even top 3.

The only reasons this wasn't a 5 star shave are very small ones, the fact I'd like the scent of Family to be a bit stronger when lathered and even though the Outlaw did a great job I'll be using it usually with only a couple of days growth at most and it will be perfect for that. With 5 days worth to tackle there are others like the R41 or Futur that I'd reach for because that's when they really shine.

HZpOpjj.jpg

Pre: water
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Timberwolf
Soap/Splash: Southern Witchcrafts and APR - Gravefruit

Normally I shave with a Rockwell 6S (R6 plate), but I nicked myself with my newly acquired Yaqi shavette yesterday, so I wanted a more mild shave, not to irritate the skin (yes, I could have swapped to a R3 plate, but I was lazy).

Anyway, what I can I say about Gravefruit that hasn't been said by everyone who's owned it (except for that one guy on the sub-reddit who didn't like it and sold it on - got snapped up in seconds). Scent is amazing! My first exposure to APR, it's a really interesting interpretation of a grapefruit forward scent. Has a mix of fresh cut grapefruit and peel, and then a rich earthy base of incense and cedar. It has a long list of scent notes, but those were the only ones that I could identify. As for SW's base, it is phenomenal. And I don't use that term lightly. Forget that it's, by far, the best vegan base I've ever used, it's better than most of my other tallow bases too. Better than NO or A&E Kaizen. I think it's even better than DG Milksteak (top of my list). I'm going to shave with DG-YRP tomorrow to do a direct comparison. 30 second load on the brush, straight to the face. Dip the brush tips in water a couple of times, the lather builds from dry and pasty to luxuriously slick and cushiony. And different from tallow based soap. The lather is like runny marshmallow smores. The staying power of this lather is ludicrous. The proto-lather left behind in the tub was still there after 8 hours drying. Any other soap, the foam would have dissipated hours ago. I had to wipe the excess with a tissue. No problems with the shave at all. A good soap means an easy shave. Simple as that.

Balm on, let it dry, then the splash. No sting, as it's a aqueous based aftershave. More gravefruit goodness in the scent.

However, it did have a downside. The girlfriend didn't like it. :eek::eek::eek:

wwrKTZ8.jpg

Prep: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Emulsion
Brush: Paladin Lotus Select Badger
Soap: Declaration Grooming Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli
Razor: Wolfman WR1
Blade: Polsilver Wizamet Brown (2)
Scent: Acca Kappa 1869

Lovely shave.

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps Empire shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca Birch Bark Handle
Blade: Polsiver 'Brown' (4)
Post-shave: Squadron Soaps Empire splash
Fragrance: N/A

The wife approves of the scent @SchoolForAnts - so thanks!

2tbZfLKl.jpg

IMG-20201028-202235.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Blue & Gold 30mm tuxedo
Razor: Smart Helix Apollo 0.50mm mid plate
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (12)
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. Black Cherry
Pre: Shower
Post: Nivea 2 Phase A/S Lotion & Sensitive Post Shave Balm
WTG, XTG, ATG = DFS+

A truly delightful shave! :love:
Wishing you all Good Health & Happy Shaves...

Pre: WarmShower
Razor: Rocca R96
Blade: German Wilkies
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: Two Kings

Did I need a shave this morning after last nights WR2? Not really but had to have one..

Intention was just for a one pass ATG, but that turned into three and my goodness nothing but dolphin smooth goodness

This is the third or fourth shave with the blade and would usually swap it around now, but the shave felt ultra-smooth, so lets see how long this one lasts.

50542059252_4668de5823_b.jpg

b6RoVek.jpg

Razor: Rockwell 6S (R6 plate)
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Yaqi 'Aqua' 24mm High Mountain Badger
Soap: Declaration Grooming - Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli (YRP)

@TomG SOTD post showed me that this isn't the first iteration of DG's YRP, so hopefully, there'll be future releases to come, and I don't have to worry about running out. Smells like orange sherbet off the puck. When lathered up,, smells like Tang (if you're of an age) with the rose adding a floral freshness. I couldn't smell the patchouli, but I guess it's there in the background. I love it.

I wax lyrical about DG's Milksteak all the time. I think it's the best soap base out there (I haven't tried WK Siero yet, but it's on the list). But you're really splitting hairs at this point, all the elite tier soaps are excellent. Quick 20 second load on the badger and onto face lathering. It's not as thirsty as SW's base. A few touches of water on the tips awards you with slick gossamer lather. I think SW gives you more cushion, but I guess I'm used to Milksteak because I've used it more often.

I'm not loving the high mountain badger, though. It's only my second use, so I guess there's still a break in period. Feels better than the first use, anyway and more softer than the first time around. Yaqi's 2 band 'best' badger took a bit of breaking in too, before I really started to enjoy using it.

Thusday‌ ‌10.29.20 ‌SOTD‌
vDwvYiZ.jpg

I‌ ‌Provenzali‌ ‌Olive‌ ‌Oil‌ ‌Artisan‌ ‌Bar‌ ‌Soap‌
Gillette ‘32 New SC Gold Common Bar
Gillette‌ 7 O'clock SharpEdge Yellow
Yaqi R1605-S Resin Tuxedo
Williams‌ ‌Shaving‌ ‌Soap‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌vintage‌ ‌mug‌ ‌
Aqua‌ ‌Velva‌ ‌sftershave‌ ‌(Spanish‌ ‌version)‌

Pre-shave: Hot Shower
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson shaving brush
Soap/Cream: Squadron Soaps Empire shaving soap
Razor: Muhle Rocca Birch Bark Handle
Blade: Polsiver 'Brown' (5)
Post-shave: Squadron Soaps Empire splash
Fragrance: N/A

Really enjoying the EmPIRE! Like the label art too

2tbZfLKl.jpg

IMG-20201029-183251.jpg

Brush: TF Customs Chameleon Malle Burl & Holographic 30mm Rhodium Silvertip
Razor: Yaqi DOC + RR halo handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridiums (13)
Soap: Mikes Natural Soaps Lemongrass & Eucalyptus
Pre: Shower
WTG, XTG, ATG = DFS

A nice comfortable shave to end the working week...
Wishing you Good Health & A Happy Weekend full of good shaves!!!

5n0C5GYh.jpg

Soap: NO RAWR
Brush: Matilda
Razor: GC 0.84P
Blade: Feather (2)
Rawr is very nice to use but isn't anybody getting ARKO reminders from it? This just prevents me from becoming totally invested.:LOL:
Very glad to have the Game Changer back in rotation (GC No:2, a mate is looking after my other one). Worked well with the Feather, nice balance of smoothness and efficiency, though I did get one micro cut on the jaw line. Barbers Pole handle is very nice.

Last edited:
Pre: WarmShower
Razor: Rocca R94
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Pony
Soap: A&E Kaizen

Loaded with a wizamet.. and a more than healthy dose (or few) of ouzu 12 I embarked on a scientific experiment to test the Rocca against the effects of alcohol. Happy to report I finished a traditional 3 pass shave against the backdrop of some awesome chicago blues tunes, with no negative consequences.. no nicks, no burn nothing but a very enjoyable shave (bit more enjoyable than usual :p )

50545813438_43e3f73c87_b.jpg

Fsog0Am.jpg

Razor: Jack the Barber DE Safety Razor
Blade: Rockwell Swedish Steel Blade
Brush: Yaqi 'Moka' 26mm Badger
Soap: Spearhead soaps - Seaforth! Heather

Having shaved with the R6 plate on the Rockwell 6S all the time and then switching on occasion to the JTB razor, maybe time for me to buy a more efficient/aggressive razor.

I have to admit, I bought into the hype of Seaforth a little. It sold out like hot cakes, so when it dropped, I kind of FOMO'd myself into purchasing the pair (I have Spiced as well). While Spearhead's 20.1 is a good soap base, I don't find it as easy to lather as a DG Milksteak or SW vegan base. Scent profile is about 3/10 and smells like clean soap with a slight herbal fragrance. The superlatives used by everyone else, "clean, masculine, amazing" I just don't see it tbh. It';s a nice soap, but I don't think I'll be itching to use it all the time.

2ucc8R3.jpg

Friday‌ ‌10.30.20 ‌SOTD‌
RazoRock‌ ‌Pre‌ ‌Barba‌
RazoRock Silver Hawk V2
Schick P-30 Proline
Maggard‌ ‌Aluminum‌ ‌22mm‌ ‌2-Band‌ ‌Badger‌
Fine Platinum Shave Soap
Fine Platinum Classic Aftershave
This is an amazing razor/blade combination: smooth efficient BBS in two passes (wtg and atg). IMHO the Hawk V2 w/Schick P30 is hands down the best shave for the money.

Pre-shave: Warm water
Brush: Yaqi - Moka 24mm synthetic
Soap/Cream: Phoenix & Beau - Paul Mall
Razor: Muhle - Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette - Stainless (3)
Post-shave: Razorock - XXX AS splash / Natio - Calming AS balm

2 pass + touchups = dfs+. Another nice shave. Paul Mall still impresses me, and one of the few old stock soaps I have kept.

Short version, what an amazing shave to relax after a run and a long shower.

First use of Relaxation.
Beautiful light scent, like Family though I'd prefer it a little stronger. That may be because I love ginger so I was looking forward to that and hoping it was more prominent but I still enjoyed it a lot, then mid shave realised I could follow it with PAA The Kiss splash which is very heavy on the ginger. What a perfect decision that was!

I've used the outlaw a few times now and have come to the conclusion it is BRILLIANT 😁
My favourites for quite some time have been the Karve brass closely followed by the Rockwell 6S, but now the Outlaw even without having the same options of adjustability with different plates is snapping at the heels of the 6S. It has definitely overtaken a few others that were fighting for third place (Slim, R41, Futur)

The combination or razor, soap, scent was blissful.
ByobBqC.jpg

ID1DZxQl.jpg

Soap: Squadron Empire
Brush: Bernard
Razor: Jowika 8254
Squadron Empire - Very nice. I pulled this razor out for my Thursday morning travel shave and it was so blunt it got sidelined and I shaved with a cart that's been fanging around in my suitcase for the last decade. I actually got a pretty decent shave, and it's OK isn't it, @Mark1966 says it's OK to travel with carts??!! So no SOTD for Thursday.
The Jowika got a damn good talking to on the stones last night to ensure it was in suitable state to meet Empire today.
Lovely shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.