Thoughts on face masks

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
Carried on from here.

...The best part of the day i getting home and being able to breathe without my specs steaming up!!

[I think you might have started a new thread there, so if it gets out of control I expect this one might deserve to get split.]

Since Tasmania has fallen into the same masks-on-indoors regimen as the rest of Australia, I've tried a few masks (and of course found none to actually be comfortable), but I've found the Klaring KF94 masks to be more or less bearable, particularly from a glasses-fogging point of view. KF94 is a South Korean standard, thus inspiring confidence here (South Korea is usually technologically far more advanced than Australia). I also ended up with a metric crapload of KF94 masks that turned out to be Chinese-made, but find they irritate my face whenever I have to wear them for more than a couple of hours. I have no idea if they perform to the same standard. They are, however, pretty good at letting you see out of your glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Effective? Not sure (not that I don't care, but there are so many alternative views floating around and these meet the health order requirements)

Comfortable? Yep

Creating more single use waste? Nope (BTW, I understand and appreciate that in medical circles this is necessary)

https://www.uniqlo.com/au/en/search/?q=mask

goods_68_437779.jpg

Last edited:
we got ours made by wintersbits on etsy, and got some filters off amazon, theyve been magic since i dont fit most normal masks with this big peanut of mine but she makes them in sizes and the extra large has been gold.
not irritating to wear, wouldnt know about glases though, its been ok with sunnies for a 10min stint at a time.
Site for anyone wanting a look see, i think she lives in adelaide.
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Wintersbits

Carried on from here.

[I think you might have started a new thread there, so if it gets out of control I expect this one might deserve to get split.]

Since Tasmania has fallen into the same masks-on-indoors regimen as the rest of Australia, I've tried a few masks (and of course found none to actually be comfortable), but I've found the Klaring KF94 masks to be more or less bearable, particularly from a glasses-fogging point of view. KF94 is a South Korean standard, thus inspiring confidence here (South Korea is usually technologically far more advanced than Australia). I also ended up with a metric crapload of KF94 masks that turned out to be Chinese-made, but find they irritate my face whenever I have to wear them for more than a couple of hours. I have no idea if they perform to the same standard. They are, however, pretty good at letting you see out of your glasses.
Cheers @Gargravarr. I'll try some of those. since I have been wearing face masks all day my skin is terrible with rashes, pimples and cold sores

Normally 8 hours a day currently upto 10+ hours thanks to a guy who cannot drive a boat. I f'n hate wearing a face mask.

I have three fabric ones I wash then wear been trying disposables last couple if days. They all suck.

Cheers @Gargravarr. I'll try some of those. since I have been wearing face masks all day my skin is terrible with rashes, pimples and cold sores
Good luck. The OKish ones I found are here. Don't get your hopes up too much. :unsure: YMMV and all that. (Tropics, OMG :eek:) The Amazon listing for the terrible Chinese knock-offs seems to have disappeared, maybe they got too many complaints.

Last edited:
A long overdue Thread. (y)(y)(y)

I've been tackling this issue of late as noticing the disposal medical style masks struggle to fit properly with stubble on my face as I constantly fiddle with it. :(

Due to to a broken nose in my youth I am unable to properly wear those 3 ply cotton masks as no matter the effort/technique they fog up my reading glasses making them a pain for working at the PC, not to mention P95-100 masks that don't sit right on my crocked nose. :rage:

I envy those poor souls who need to wear a mask all day as at least here in CBR we're allowed to remove them inside within our personal space which helps alleviate any skin irritations.

I can't stand wearing the things. Thankfully my work has now a bit more of a relaxed attitude to us wearing masks indoors so as I write this, my mask is around my neck but I won't fully don it until I need to go into another building.

My wife used to make our masks but having to wear glasses all the time was a pain because they kept fogging up. I ended up buying a couple these as they are locally made and don't fog up the glasses.

https://envirus.com.au/

apparently the cloth masks are totally useless against the omicron variant, the surgical masks are pretty close to useless when trying to prevent catching the virus but they are still effective in slowing the spread of the infected user. The N95 masks offer the best protection (apparently eliminate 95% of the chance of contracting the virus, hence the 95 in the name) BUT these need to be fitted correctly.

I work in a hospital and had a proper mask fitting session, where they punch a hole to attach a tube to the test mask, then its fitted to your face and your made to breath in different positions while the tube is attached to a computer that measures the vacuum seal of the mask. I went through a few masks before I found one that had the appropriate seal, then they are 95% effective in contracting the virus.

but the proper mask alone doesn't offer protection either as the virus can also enter via the eyes, so even the correct type of fitted mask is useless without appropriate eye protection

A correctly fitted N95 isnt very comfortable to wear for extended periods because its quite tight on your face so wearing for long times is hard. Its also quite tough to walk around and talk with one, as you lose your breathe quite quickly. When sitting at my desk, I just wear the surgical mask but when walking around the hospital I def put on the N95 + glasses

5f3ecd0e42f43f001ddfe204

$120US Burberry or bust.
Get your garbage prewarn Gucci dress material outta ere!!!