SS vs Carbon Steel blade and honing?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
Up until a week ago I thought anyone putting an un guarded blade to their face was - let's just say unusual. Seems I have joined the unusual crowd and now have questions. @Mark or anyone else that does their own honing - Is there any different techniques needed to hone a vintage carbon steel, a Stainless Steel or a Damascus steel blade.

I ask because I'm already looking to eventually get some stones a vintage blade or whatever other blade to try honing for myself.

Help appreciated

Steve

I ask because I'm already looking to eventually get some stones a vintage blade or whatever other blade to try honing for myself.

Help appreciated

Steve
Now that didn't take long!!!

(Psst! Don't catch HAD as its really bad for you!!! Just ask @Mark)

Now that didn't take long!!!

(Psst! Don't catch HAD as its really bad for you!!! Just ask @Mark)
I think it's SAD actually, in reflection to the prices a piece of stone can go for.

Carbon's the easiest to hone from what I've heard. I'm going to start with a carbon steel straight razor for that reason.

But can anyone answer my question?
@Mark (or @HereForTheEdge and others) are best placed to answer this question.

My thoughts are that there isn't much difference in technique, more so in the time/strokes at each level as you hone.

I do want to comment that there is now an alternative to acquiring multiple stones/hones. @Mark has some Diamond Film sets that cost less than $50 and are equivalent to a full set of honing stones. They are very efficient at taking off the steel so they need to be treated differently to stones. But if you're just starting out, I would recommend them over acquiring stones (which set you back $80-200 per stone).

This is a broad topic but I'll try to not get too technical.

Is there any different techniques needed to hone a vintage carbon steel, a Stainless Steel or a Damascus steel blade.
All blades have their differences, you often won't run into 2 blades that will behave in exactly the same manner, due to different steels, different methods of forging, variable hardness of different steels and different feedback that they provide you with when honing them. In saying that, the differences are very minuscule and once you get some practice and a feel for a few different blades on the stones you'll be able to pick it up. There is no general rule when it comes to carbon vs stainless vs Damascus vs Tool Steel vs Chemical Steel vs Magnetic Steel vs Swedish Steel vs Tamahagane Steel vs white steel vs Carboinox etc...

I've had carbon steel that was harder than stainless depending on how they were heat treated on the Hardness Rockwell Scale (HRC). So don't over think it, you will only confuse yourself if you do, this applies more to natural stones as they all behave differently too and each have their individual character.

Technique is something you will pick up eventually, I'm working on starting a honing thread. You will have to learn a few different types of strokes which I am in the progress of finding demos to show everyone and figure out what works better for you. I've asked this many times and I'll keep asking...
What is your purpose of getting into honing.
- Do you want to keep your own razor maintained and shaving sharp at all times, if so, like @filobiblic mentioned, you wont need to go any further than a $50 set of diamond films, if you want to be more creative, grab a cheap natural stone to get a little creative to use with the films but try to limit the variables to eliminate confusion.
- Do you want to get into the hobby of honing and collecting vintage razors and doing some bevel setting and repair work? If so, grab yourself a good set of synthetic hones and a few GDs and cheap vintages so you could bash and get some good stone time, add some variables as you go but not too much of it.
- Do want to hone razors for other people? If so, you're better off investing in a set of high end hones like Choseras/Shaptons and and a series of different natural stones, build your own methods, progressions and start getting creative and very consistent results and add as many variables as you could think of in your spare time to boost your XP.

Remember, honing is an art form that you can never stop learning and improving. But you don't really have to know that much, all you need to know is a few basics to get you going to put a nice edge on a blade. Not hard at all as long as you dedicate some time and practice.

Last edited:
This is a broad topic but I'll try to not get too technical.

All blades have their differences, you'll never run into 2 blades that are behave in exactly the same manner, due to different steels, different methods of forging, variable hardness of different steels and different feedback that they provide you with when honing them. In saying that, the differences are very minuscule and once you get some practice and a feel for a few different blades on the stones you'll be able to pick it up. There is no general rule when it comes to carbon vs stainless vs Damascus vs Tool Steel vs Chemical Steel vs Magnetic Steel vs Swedish Steel vs Tamahagane Steel vs white steel vs Carboinox etc...

I've had carbon steel that was harder than stainless depending on how they were heat treated on the Hardness Rockwell Scale (HRC). So don't over think it, you will only confuse yourself if you do, this applies more to natural stones as they all behave differently too and each have their individual character.

Technique is something you will pick up eventually, I'm working on starting a honing thread. You will have to learn a few different types of strokes which I am in the progress of finding demos to show everyone and figure out what works better for you. I've asked this many times and I'll keep asking...
What is your purpose of getting into honing.
- Do you want to keep your own razor maintained and shaving sharp at all times, if so, like @filobiblic mentioned, you wont need to go any further than a $50 set of diamond films, if you want to be more creative, grab a cheap natural stone to get a little creative to use with the films but try to limit the variables to eliminate confusion.
- Do you want to get into the hobby of honing and collecting vintage razors and doing some bevel setting and repair work? If so, grab yourself a good set of synthetic hones and a few GDs and cheap vintages so you could bash and get some good stone time, add some variables as you go but not too much of it.
- Do want to hone razors for other people? If so, you're better off investing in a set of high end hones like Choseras/Shaptons and and a series of different natural stones, build your own methods, progressions and start getting creative and very consistent results and add as many variables as you could think of in your spare time to boost your XP.
Bloody glad we have you 'round here mate.
...and that we know you at a time when your advisory service remains free of charge ;)

@Mark quite probably all of the above. I may need to chat to you on the phone again as I want to get to my destination with a minimum of distractions.

@Mark quite probably all of the above. I may need to chat to you on the phone again as I want to get to my destination with a minimum of distractions.
In that case, master your shaving and stropping technique, once you do so and get a bit of a small collection going with straights to experience the small differences between blades then we'll talk about getting you set up with a 1k Chosera to start setting bevels and your choice of progression whether you go for shaptons like I did, or more choseras, or a Norton 4/8. etc.. Don't rush into it as adding too many variables in one time can get confusing.