SE and Injector blade accumulated wisdom

veteran

I am just now having a dabble on the dark side of wet shaving, SE and Injectors. The amount of debate/knowledge/information and conjecture regarding blades on the overseas shave forums is mind blowing. Can a few members here cut through the palaver and enlighten me on the who, what,where and how of SE and injector blade choice and acquiring same? I`ll start by telling you what I know for a fact (WIKFAF), what I suspect is (WISI), and what I`d like to find out (WILTFO).
WISI is that blades designed and made for specimen preparation, dissection and skin graft harvesting are not as sharp as typical DE blades but due to the nature of SE shaving work acceptably. As a side note, WIKFAF surgical scalpels are lousy shaving edges.
WISI that there are 2 manufacturers of SE and possibly injector blades, someone in Asia (with possible outsourcing) and ASR in the USA.
WILTFO is does ASR import some or all of their product lines from Asia? This could account for the inconsistency reported in both styles of SE blades as QC is not great in some Asian plants.
WILTFO is have I got a handle on the chain of supply in the USA? ASR>Ted Pella> (EMS, pharmacies, chain stores and others)?
WILTFO is are PTFE coated SE and injector blades any different to plain stainless blades in terms of sharpness or grind angle?

Please feel free to correct and add as you see fit.

I think you may already be the current SE expert here, mate.

PJ does use them quite a lot, perhaps you could pool your experience.

I think it might be a good idea to post that at B&B too. There are loads of SE historians there that might be able to answer some of your questions.

Particularly given the fact that there are only two blade types suitable for shaving and possibly three, but more likely only two manufacturers, the confusion regarding SE blades I agree is mind blowing. I believe ASR produces all the shave worthy GEM SS blades (PTFE coated, by the way I must find out what PTFE stands for) which are then distributed and/or repackaged by several firms, including Ted Pella and Walgreens. There are then also carbon steel SE blades which I've read are also produced by ASR and possibly CVS (I think). Again these blades are distributed by different firma and like their SS cousins take on the name of these firms. The result is mass confusion particularly if you've just started using SE. You get people talking about shaving with Walgreen, Ted Pella or CVS blades which possibly are all the same blade produced by the same manufacturer (ASR). I'm not aware of any Asian manufacturers. Personally I just stick to the GEM SS PTFE coated ones and have no desire to try anything else. By the way don't be tempted to use the Red Star SE blades that some Australian chemists actually stock in their shaving sections. Inspite of the fact that they've got the same markings on the spine (009 RD) they're not the same blades people refer to as 009 RD CVS blades or whatever they call the bloody things. I'm still confused.

By the way I know absolutely ziltch about injector blades. I get the feeling it's just as confusing.

PTFE is the generic name for Teflon coatings I`m pretty sure. I just checked, CVS and Walgreens are both pharmaceutical chains, online, Walgreens has a 10 blade, SS dispenser w/out PTFE (marked Personna) and CVS doesn`t say what metal but it also comes in a 10 blade dispenser, both with used blade caddy. I think I have read somewhere that CVS blades are carbon steel. The Gems from Connaught are SS with PTFE as are their Injectors but they are marked Personna. The plot thickens. I hope that I will find that the SS Gems that Pjotr has given me prove to be good for me and that I dont have look further to find a blade that shaves well but also has more than a couple of shaves in it. Pjotr, what pedigree are the blades you sent me? I have given one to my mate the old barber who is going to try one in his Clogpruf tomorrow. Fortunately I was warned early on about "Red Star" Gem Blades.

They're the GEM SS PTFE coated jobbies. I get multiple shaves out of them.

Last edited:
Blue star. they are a sharp blade, but rust when you look at them. But the first shave is great :)

Dorco I believe make SE blades

Edit: Of course feather do as well, but they don't have the proper spine on the back to suit a SE GEM.

Some chemists actually stock Red Star SE blades. They're look identical with the same markings on the spine (009 RD) but shave like you're attempting to assist with skin grafting surgical procedures.

Yes, I've heard about DORCO SE blades. Apparently they're actually worse than Red Stars.

So this appears the closest thing to the right thread to shepherd together information on appropriate SE blades for shaving. I went browsing at Connaughts and found that the right blade seems to be GEMs - and that these seem the right GEM.
wp36ea9286_05_06.jpg

But looking locally I have found other GEMs and Personnas. So are any of the first dozen from Diplomat viable face blades or are they only for peeling off rego stickers?

Damn, I thought Pablo had made a comeback as PJs post showed up first

yeah I know this is a seriously decomposed Lazarus, but I thought it better than opening a new thread....

So this appears the closest thing to the right thread to shepherd together information on appropriate SE blades for shaving. I went browsing at Connaughts and found that the right blade seems to be GEMs - and that these seem the right GEM.
wp36ea9286_05_06.jpg

But looking locally I have found other GEMs and Personnas. So are any of the first dozen from Diplomat viable face blades or are they only for peeling off rego stickers?

The GEM's from Connaught are made by Personna. They are your only viable choice but I stand to be corrected.

When I was researching blades the common advice was to purchase PTFE coated blades. The GEMS (Personna's) in your photo are such blades

The GEM's from Connaught are made by Personna. They are your only viable choice but I stand to be corrected.

When I was researching blades the common advice was to purchase PTFE coated blades. The GEMS (Personna's) in your photo are such blades
Thanks LaP. I thought so too, but researching elsewhere the list of other eligibles is pretty long - Treets, Gem Blue Star, American Safety Razor, Personna/GEM, Dorco, CVS, Walgreens, etc., so just being sure. Also it's a little concerning that there's at east three other "GEM by Personna" blades with the exact same packaging - but differing item numbers - that I was hoping to have a clear glide path.

Thanks LaP. I thought so too, but researching elsewhere the list of other eligibles is pretty long - Treets, Gem Blue Star, American Safety Razor, Personna/GEM, Dorco, CVS, Walgreens, etc., so just being sure. Also it's a little concerning that there's at east three other "GEM by Personna" blades with the exact same packaging - but differing item numbers - that I was hoping to have a clear glide path.

GEM Blue Star and Treet blades are carbon coated and will rust if left wet in the razor. From all reports the carbon blades don't last as long as PTFE coated SS. Dorco are best left for scraping off car rego stickers (but we don't have to do that in Victoria anymore).

The PTFE coated GEM's are your best bet. @bald as is the expert here so he might have better advice.

Thanks again LaP. Be great to have @bald as chime in.

Meanwhile, a little more research indicates that Diplomat - here in Australia - might actually stock the right GEM blades. Note the section I have highlighted in red below.

SINGLE EDGE BLADES (Gem)
Gem.gif

Material: Gem stainless steel with aluminium back (.009''), 3 - facet (grind) edge. Made: USA
Dimensions: 38 x 19 x 0.22 mm
Teflon coated also available - Code: 620165.

NEW CODE: 62-0179
NEW Re-Sealable Clamshell Packaging

product_table_code.gif
product_table_pack.gif
product_table_innerqty.gif

620167 PACK 100 50

Item code 62-0165 seems it might be the same as the PTFE-coated blades sold at Connaughts. I have emailed Diplomat for a price per 100, JIC they are the right ones.

Last edited:
wp36ea9286_05_06.jpg

I get all my SE bades from Connaughts. Those pictured look like mine. They are excellent and I get them at 1 - 200 at a time. I would suggest get them from Connaughts as they are the ones for certain for shaving. About 10 days from ordering.

Steve

Got a reply from Diplomat blades. The codes match so they are the same as the PTFE from Connaughts:

"Unfortunately we do not have a distributor in ACT who stocks these blades. [good news or I would have had to buy from Instant Windscreens]

If you wish to buy these directly from us, they are priced at $37.80 ex gst for a pack of 100 blades.

We normally have a minimum order value of $150 plus freight to ACT is $20.

Please have a look at our website www.diplomatblades.com.au if you would like to purchase other products to bring your order value up to our minimum."

Connaughts are £12 per 100 pack (without delivery). Hmmmm...not sure if it's worth becoming a stockist...or having 500 blades to myself ;)