Restoring a blade

Stubbles

Hiya,

I managed to find my late fathers old cut throat blade tucked away in a drawer and thought i would add it to my now growing collection...(damn you guys)

Anyway, the thing is a Solingen, made in Germany. Its been stored and not looked after, so has some slight surface rust.

Was wondering the best way to remove it without hacking the thing and removing the pattern on the blade...? Once thats done, hows the best way to sharpen, and keep it like that?

Cheers :)

Can't say I'm up on restos, after my failed entry into straights. Two things you can do - find info on the net about doing a restoration, but some hones, learn how to use those and keep it sharp. This site is still a bit virginal for that, unless any straight users jump on.

Or, use one of the well known Aus restorers and honers for a price. Honing runs around $25, but restoration would have to be quoted on. So long as it isn't trashed, I'd imagine the guy I used to hone mine would charge around $40 for a resto.

Cool beans. Have had a bit of a look around and it seems straight forward, but i might leave it to an expert on this first attempt. Its only surface damage i think, and needs a sharpen too. Should turn out to be a nice razor once i figure out how to strop and use it :)

Will post pics soon.

I flick you Oz from Oz's email when I can find it. Great guy, reliable, knows his stuff. He's in NSW somewhere.

ozzzz@tpg.com.au

Os Parker. Let him know you got his details from a customer on here.

Last edited:
Straight razors scare me a bit. Mostly because of the media depiction I'm sure. I have a mate in Darwin who is mad about straight razors and collects them, I think he is quite active on a forum but not sure which one.

When I say mad, like this guy will spend $400 on a vintage straight. Yet still won't cough up the $40 he owes me for buying him a game on steam....

I flick you Oz from Oz's email when I can find it. Great guy, reliable, knows his stuff. He's in NSW somewhere.

ozzzz@tpg.com.au

Os Parker. Let him know you got his details from a customer on here.
Cheers, will do.

S
When I say mad, like this guy will spend $400 on a vintage straight. Yet still won't cough up the $40 he owes me for buying him a game on steam....
haha, yeah i know a few liike that.

I'd love to get my rolls razors honed, but could never find someone interested in that.
I don't like the thought of using srt8s, really I'm unco, and could imagine someone making a loud noise, banging on the door or busting into the bathroom to make me flinch enough to do myself damage. Str8s are for hermits living alone with no one to make them jump with surprise while shaving.
I prefer a safety razor, but in the future I predict no more SE or DE blades, safety razor blade apocalypse if you will.
So I bought a few rolls razors, but they are too blunt to shave with even using the hone they come with.

Last edited:
Yeah its a thing that requires more time and patience, but I can see where the benefits are in the long run. Also takes a lot more time and investment to get into if you want to hone and keep your blade sharp yourself.

Sent off an email to Oz btw, and he reckons around $60, but I can send it off for a look for free if i want. Seeing as im not probably going to use it just yet I think I might keep it oiled and put it away safely until I can afford to go down that route.

Hey Straight Guys

Anyone know of a honemeister in Melbourne? I require a shave ready hone of a new straight.

If you haven't done so already it might pay to post that question over at B&B or on The Shave Den or Straight Razor place where all the straights gather. To my knowledge there are no straight shaving posters here. I know one of the Australian mods at B&B is a mad straight shaver and razor collector and would certainly know.

There is also an Aussie section at the straightrazorplace if you get no luck at BNB. There are few honers around the country there.

Anyone in perth that does razor restorations that wont charge an arm and a leg for it?

Honing in perth can run up to $80-odd if im not wrong. :blink:

Ok I would use vinigar to loosen the rust. I have used a buffer wheel on a grinder to clean up a blade however take it slow and be careful. To hone is not so hard. Nortons are good. I use sharpton but they are expensive. If u want to stay in straights then get some gold dollars to practice on. 6/8 blade so you can hone all day ;-). I knew I could hone once I got my gold dollar better then my pro honed TI rasors

Anyone know of a honemeister in Melbourne? I require a shave ready hone of a new straight.

I'll do it for you for the price of return postage, if you want.

I'm not a master of the art, however, my edges are comfortable ATG on my top lip using water only.

What brand razor is it?