PIF No. 13 (Worldwide) - Shave-Ready Vintage C.V. Heljestrand MK31 Straight Razor

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
Other shave-ready straight razors are still currently available in PIF No. 11.

Through the kind generosity of @Holiday , I can offer a vintage C.V. Heljestrand shave-ready 4/8 Swedish high carbon steel straight razor. This razor was manufactured in Eskilstuna, Sweden. The Heljestran brand is very highly regarded with straight razor shavers and the 4/8 size is very popular in Scandinavian countries.

I have a 4/8 Heljestrand straight razor and consider it the "sports car" razor within my stable.
pKAHfXD.jpg

1FvCwbR.jpg

r8AI5kC.jpg

525WYE9.jpg

Technical Details (approximate measurements):

Maker = C.V. Heljestrand, Eskilstuna, Sweden​
Model = MK 31​
Year of manufacture = 1915 - 1920​
Blade material = high carbon steel (Swedish)​
Point style = Dutch​
Grind = quarter hollow​
Blade width = 12.5mm (4/8)​
Bevel angle = 19.5​
Blade thickness = 0.40mm at top of bevel​
Edge length = 67mm​
Smile = none​
Stabilizers = one each side​
Jimps = bottom of shank in thumb notch​
Tail length = 22mm opened 270°​
Scales material = plastic​
Pins = 2 of nickel alloy​
Wedge = tapered of plastic​
Length closed = 153mm​
Balance (opened 180°) = 83mm from pivot pin towards blade​
Mass = 36g​

Condition:

This straight razor is in used condition commensurate with its age. There is light patina over all steel surfaces, except the bevel. The scales are in very good condition.​
Note: Due to the narrow blade width (4/8) of this razor, it is better suited to a straight razor shaver who has mastered determining his shave-angle by shaving feel rather than still having to do so by eye. The razor would also be suitable for a beginner in the gentlemanly art who wishes to hold onto it until his skill has improved.​

Honing:

The razor has been honed (without tape) up shave-read finishing on a full diamond pasted balsa progression. For quality control, it has been shave tested and not found wanting. It was then refreshed o a 0.1μm diamond pasted hanging balsa strop. It is supplied ready to shave with - no stropping required.​

Rules:

1. This PIF is open to P&C members worldwide.​
2. You must have been a member of P&C on 15December 2023.​
3. The winner is to pay postage within 72 hours of winning (see postal rates below).​
4. This PIF remains open until won.​

Postage Rates:

Australia = AU$2.70 delivered within 5 to 10 business days​
New Zealand = AU$17.60 (about US$11.40) delivered within 8 to 12 business days​
Asia/Pacific = AU$21.60 (about US$14.00) delivered within 10 to 18 business days​
US/Canada = AU$24.20 (about US$15.70) delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Europe/UK & Brazil = AU$29.60 (about US$19.25 delivered within 6 to 10 business days​
Rest of world = AU$35.60 (about US$23.00) delivered within 15 to 25 business days​

How To Enter:

To win this PIF just post in this thread "I win". You will then be notified via PM on P&C regarding payment of postage.​

Last edited:
Just finished a shave with this razor. I had zero cuts. No blood what so ever!!! Even when applying after shave, there was no sting, just a refreshing dryness. This was the most comfortable shave I've had using a SR. Only a couple of shaves with the Bengal come close.

So now I'm thinking it's not the JNat or balsa edge that makes the most difference given my relative inexperience. The geometry and high bevel angle meant I was able to use the razor flush against my skin for most of the shave, and that really helped to cut down the mistakes.

These couple of PIFed razors have really accelerated my SR learning journey tremendously. Thank you again @rbscebu and @Holiday .