Movie collections

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
I've lately got into the idea of having a really good library of classic films by the time I reach 30. Not just good movies, but the timeless repeat-watching films that don't come around that often. I've just picked up a Stanley Kubrick collection which had (among a few others) Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Lolita and 2001: A Space Odyssey and it was only about $15. I also have the remastered Godfather trilogy coming, so my pile of blurays is slowly increasing. I've been sussing out the Alfred Hitchcock collection, which has a little bit of sentimental value for me because we studied a few of his films in high school and I think his work is brilliant.

The main contenders on my list at the moment are Hitchcock, the Coen Brothers collection, the Deer Hunter and Scarface. Then I start on Clint Eastwood's finest moments. I have a soft spot for Daniel Day Lewis films too, so if they come up on special...

Do you lads buy DVDs or blurays? A lot of people I know waste a lot of money buying average movies that they'll only watch once or twice, which seems really silly when you think about all the great cinema out there. What are the gems in your libraries folks? What are the top 5 films that you own or want to own?

Buying movies.............now there's a distant memory.

Gawd my 'friend', who looks very similar to me *cough cough* has a massive collection. Not sure of exact numbers but around 650 commercial DVD9->DVD5 copies (started out using DVDShrink and then graduated to some far more complex software which did a much better job of the MPEG2 recoding). Haha this was done as lived close to VideoEzy's HO who had this deal where you paid $30/mth for unlimited DVD rentals! 2 new, 2 weekly at a time. Haha sometimes would swap them over several times in a day! This was 10yrs ago.....all on quality Taiyo Yuden blanks.

This is complimented by several terabytes of more modern stuff thats been downloaded. Started out knowing squat and grabbing your 'Axxo' type 700mb xvid rips and then got to know things a lot better and also having a dedicated HTPC moved into grabbing x264 material almost exclusively (bit for bit double the quality of xvid/divx). I think there's around 700 or so of these. Also several terabytes of TV material and documentatries, which are a particular fave of mine....BBC stuff. Have done a bit of my own encoding as well using Megui (from commercial material and also DTV recordings).

I've also got around 130gb of the greatest boxing bouts of alltime. A lot of 'The Ring' magazine's fight of the year etc...not junk or overrated Tyson/Mundine stuff. :)

Alas all this changed on my last move as well we're still hoping to buy/build a place of our own ASAP so getting by with USB tethering - hence no DL's for the past 4mths or so....that said it was literally a situation where there was almost nothing left to grab.

Haha no I like to think I've got impeccable taste (don't we all) so have basically the last majority of the IMDB top 250 etc and anything thats regarded as a great film...though this has lead to a lot of stuff that the critics loved but is kinda a yawn.

Favourite films? Gee thats like favourite foods....where to start? Some of the pix I've most enjoyed and in no particular order are...... There Will be Blood, Raging Bull, No Country for Old Men, El secreto de sus ojos, Heat, The Godfather......like I said could go on and on and I'd miss dozens of them.

If you want underrated gems look at French cinema...they make some outstanding stuff. Hollywood has struggled for decades to make good, original films....hence they've done just about every cartoon character possible (several times over for some!), remade their own stuff and anything foreign makers have done.

Good luck with your collection.....with prices coming down a lot I can say why folks would buy retail Bluray copies of their faves films, especially with very good deals available from the UK etc. :)

I wish I had a better movie collection than I do.

We were never much of a movie going family when I grew up, and I guess that carried forward to adulthood and the invention of dvds.

I've been let down by a lot of Hollywood blockbusters, and don't seem to be so easily pleased as many of my friends. However, as Nick has also mentioned, I have gotten into some foreign language movies more recently. The french, spanish, chinese etc movie watchers do not seem to need the happy ending that focus groups in the US insist on, and they end up with far more enjoyable movies to my mind, even if I do have to read subtitles. And when they do remakes of the foreign language I feel they often miss the point of the movie (Vanilla Sky anyone?), although The Departed was not a bad remake of a Hong Kong movie.

I only bought my first dvd player a couple of years ago, and that has played a few Bali dvds that somehow got mixed up in my luggage, but that is about it.

I don't know why Hollywood is like it is. While I am sure there is a whole load of chaff to go along with it, they have produced some stunning tv shows, but to me the movies just don't match that quality. I have (several times) started a collection of tv shows, but experience has shown me that there are only a few that I am willing to rewatch.

For quite a few years now I have been suffering with wireless dongles as my only means of internet access, so my recent switch to a 200GB p/m adsl2 plan means that I am catching up on a lot of tv that I haven't been able to watch in the last few years, but I can only find a handful of movies that tell me I need to download them.

Massive DVD collector.

Now I have moved on to HD and Blu Ray so I need to replace my movies and I am only replacing them as I choose, not doing it en masse.

So the 3 for 2 specials get my attention, the box sets, and I studiously avoid anything with Van Damme in it.

I do have a lot of backed -up ISO's, around 3TB, but now I have a blu ray player I find myself wanting to own the media and build a collection as I feel blu ray is a genuine pleasure to watch. Some 3d stuff is good too as we have a 3D tv.

I like some of the foreign stuff but I'm not a "film" snob, I can't pretend that the nobility and purity of anything non-hollywood is better. Other countries churn out crap too.

I also have a 3D-capable system. I shelled out the extra dollars for when the kids come to visit. A $25 BluRay is much cheaper than going to the movies, and you put the 3D glasses on them and you get 90 minutes of complete silence. It's absolutely bloody incredible.

Only just started buying, I have a few DVD's but now I am pretty much exclusively buying BluRay to start a collection.

Since I live in an apartment, I can't have anything to massive. I bought a Samsung UA40ES6700M and the HT-E6750W 7.1 Channel 3D Bluray system. Been very happy with it and the kids love it. Was able to screw Bing Lee waaaaay down on the price too.

Best way to buy BluRay is via Amazon.co.uk - same region as us, miles cheaper.

A very big +1 for Amazon.co.uk.

I bought the Planet Earth series there on Blu Ray for about $40 delivered. Closest I found in Oz was $60+.

Now that's a series well worth owning. It leaves you spellbound and with an awed expression and appreciation for the planet and its inhabitants.

I scored a 46" LG 3D Cinema HD 100Hz TV for free through work, so of course went out and bought the LG Blu Ray player and the wireless dongle for internet access. I don't use the "Smart" side of it at all as it's laborious and annoying to use.

Mate if you want a movie on 3D for the kids, get Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

Unreal.

Just don't get Rio, it was murder on the eyes.

Incidentally, if you have an Android phone, get an app called DVD Shelf. You can scan your movies in and compile a list that you can then export to CSV or Excel.

It's great for when you are out at a shop and can't remember what you have.

I like some of the foreign stuff but I'm not a "film" snob, I can't pretend that the nobility and purity of anything non-hollywood is better. Other countries churn out crap too.

Didn't mean to sound snobbish, as I said there are plenty of great tv shows coming out of the US, I just haven't liked 90% of the movies I have seen in the last 10 years.

Not at all mate, I didn't mean that as a shot at you.

I've got a few mates that live and breath 80's hong kong stuff and swear every movie since is a rip off of the HK scene.

I'm just saying that Hollywood is not the sole provider of crappy movies, they are just more prevalent as we get more exposure to them in the west.

Interesting read I just lifted from Goatpostman on reddit in a topic on why is television so good now, and movies so bad:

(Warning wall of text)

We're in the blockbuster era for movies. In the 70s, the studios liked to make ten $10m movies -- an introspective drama, a thriller, a teen comedy, a grownup comedy, a horror movie, something artsy, something raunchy, something for older women, something for teenage boys -- and try to cover all the bases that way, and hope that they'd end up with a surprise hit or two. Then they released them roadshow-style -- New York today, Texas in six months, London today, Paris sometime next year. Jaws and Star Wars changed all that, and the method switched to investing very heavily in one or two really high-budget movies -- one $100m film, rather than ten $10m ones -- and launching an intensive global marketing campaign for the simultaneous worldwide release. That kind of marketing isn't really effective for the old style of moviemaking.

And it works, it's very profitable and successful. Production values are much higher and there's a bigger atmosphere of hype. But it makes you very conservative with what movies you pick. When your studio was producing 50 movies a year, you could afford to gamble a little, take a chance on something that sounds just crazy enough to work. When you're only producing 5 a year due to the enormous expense, well, you're going to pick your movies a lot more carefully, and you're going to go with something reliable and proven. This is why sequels really exploded in the 80s. Think of the most popular movies of the 60s, how many of them had sequels? Now try to find a popular movie from the 80s that didn't get at least one. The trend dipped a little in the 90s, when the fashion was towards more indie-ish naturalistic stuff in the vein of Woody Allen and Quentin Tarantino, but it came surging back in the 2000s with the success of ultra-high-budget sequel series like Lord of the Rings, Star Wars Prequels, Spiderman and that whole wave superhero wave.

So yeah, when you say "most seem to be sequels or remakes", that's true. And it's unfortunate, really. Note that this doesn't mean all movies are universally worse, it just means that there is a definite trend for conservatism and safe bets, which can be contrasted with other times -- like the late 60s/early 70s in the USA, the late 40s through mid-60s in Europe -- where there was a definite trend for wild and experimental things.

As for TV, which has definitely improved immeasurably, I can point to a few things that I think have contributed heavily.

The first is the digital revolution. Shooting on film was expensive, and editing on film was elaborate and limiting. Special effects, except practical ones obviously, were extremely limited. Only the big shows usually got shot on film, and everything else was shot on analogue video, which looks like crap and is severely limiting in what you can do. An all-digital workflow massively opens your options here, and TV adopted it long before film did. TV has tighter deadlines, anything that makes things even 5% faster is a gift from the gods. And digital cameras hit good-enough-for-TV quality a decade ago, while they're only really getting up to as-good-as-35mm-in-the-cinema quality over the next year or two. Plus you get things like digital colour-correction, which makes a huge difference in how professional and detailed a show feels.

So during the late 90s/early 2000s, TV creators suddenly found themselves equipped with cheaper cameras that output footage the editors could use today and edit on a nice Avid for digital broadcast next month. That gave them a ton of freedom to do stuff that hadn't been possible before.

Probably the best example of this is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. That show started at the absolute bottom of the budget barrel. The camera they used for the first 4 seasons cost $3200. A small group of friends writes, directs, produces, and stars in it, and got their friends and girlfriends to appear as the secondary characters to save money. The budget for season 1 was basically "this cheque my grandmother sent me for her birthday, and whatever change we find in our couches." That just wasn't possible to do 10 years earlier. The network put them on the air because hey, why not, look how cheap they are -- and the show became a cult hit.

The second is the influence of The Sopranos and The Office (the original). The first proved that high-level serialised dramas could become massively successful. Serialisation was a bit of a dirty word before Sopranos came along. Sopranos was massively, massively successful and respected. It pulled in a billion awards, books were written about its gloriousness, and it attracted attention from respectable film actors and directors who wanted to get involved. Steve Buscemi signed up. Stuff like that wasn't meant to happen -- you graduated from TV to film, you didn't go back to TV once you'd graduated and actually become successful. So that was how big a sensation it was. And I think this is a direct forerunner to film producers getting more involved in the TV world (Frank Darabont on The Walking Dead, Martin Scorsese on Boardwalk Empire, etc).

Sopranos pretty much paved the way for all the 'quality' modern dramas. Things like Mad Men, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under -- these are all shows that follow Sopranos' example, and they were all commissioned by producers who were saying "We need another Sopranos."

The Office was kind of similar for comedies. The immediate effect of The Office was a more localised -- it was huge in the UK, but the show itself didn't get as colossal an audience overseas as Sopranos did, for a few reasons -- it's short, it comes from a nation that doesn't do a lot of culture-exporting, it was sour and unpalatable to a lot of people. But it was very influential to TV industries and to future shows. They were the vanguard for the new wave of naturalistic single-camera 'realist comedies', the most popular of which is the American version of The Office. Virtually every comedy being made today belongs to that wave. Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Community -- would these shows exist if The Office hadn't effectively beaten the multi-camera sitcom to death with its own severed legs? I don't think I've ever seen something die as quickly and as thoroughly as Cheers-style sitcoms died in the early 2000s. It went from "There's something else?" to "Laughing audiences make me want to kill myself" in about 4 days.

There are predecessors to both of these shows, but they're the ones that triggered the craze.

Eggbert,

I have to say I completely agree with the concept of finding it easier to get good entertainment via certain TV series than the lucky dip that movies seem to provide.

The number of times the missus and I will end up trying 3 or so movies killing each of them after 30mins as they're just stinkers (and this after I personally selected them!) to just end up going with a TV series we've DL'd or recorded.

In no particular order some of the faves we've had over the past few yrs:
  • Mad Men: Seriously does everyone here NOT have Don Draper as their idol???
  • The Wire: Relatively unknown here but is awesome!
  • Game of Thrones: Oh man I miss my ADSL connect to DL these!
  • The Sopranos: The benchmark against which all others are marked
  • The Office (UK): The original and still the best
  • Extras: Gervais + Merchant = Winner
  • Louis Theroux docus: Most of his stuff is pretty good
  • Forbrydelsen: Smarties will recognise this as the original Danish version of The Killing
  • Boardwalk Empire: Only done season 1 but its pretty good
  • Six Feet Under: I thought it'd be old and dated but was great
  • Arrested Development: ABSOLUTE GEM...how they cut this I will never know! So well written...they're making a new season and a movie now too!!!!
  • Breaking Bad: I have to admit I find this one a bit of a stretch...too much unlikely stuff happens, but is still ok.
  • Dexter: See above comments....I find it too unrealistic, the wife finds it vaguely amusing...I think it's overrated.
  • Peep Show: Underrated gem.....hilarious stuff & very re-watchable.
  • Louie: I liked him, his standup is better - suffice to say the missus just thinks he's crude...girls, go figure. ;-)
  • An Idiot Abroad: I have this crews podcasts back when they were on XFM and unknown - they do milk it at times & its undoubtably staged but still pretty good stuff when they get it right.

God, can't wait to get back to a nice ADSL2+ connection...... :-(

I'm with you on most of these, although I've never really got the Ricky Gervais line of comedy.

I've also seen a lot of people commenting on how good Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men are, but the subject matter didn't really appeal. Are they really that good?

I would be happy to send you a usb stick or something with the first two seasons of game of thrones if you want?
I haven't got the highest quality versions, but the offer is there if you are happy to send it back.

I'm with you on most of these, although I've never really got the Ricky Gervais line of comedy.

I've also seen a lot of people commenting on how good Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men are, but the subject matter didn't really appeal. Are they really that good?

I would be happy to send you a usb stick or something with the first two seasons of game of thrones if you want?
I haven't got the highest quality versions, but the offer is there if you are happy to send it back.

I could see how Gervais could polarise some....think most comedy is like that, you either find it funny or not at all - and a comedy you don't laugh at ain't worth its weight in salt.

Yes, MM and BWE are that good...IMHO anyway. MM has a lot of stuff that will appeal to most folks.....if you're really into hardcore guy stuff it'll reside on the softer side but its still very entertaining and if nothing else worth it to see how these guys carried on.

BWE I had reservations about but its actually really good. Even my wife likes this one.....but is well written and beautifully presented.

Very kind offer on the GoT seasons, I actually have season 1 and loved it...and to my absolute amazement the missus did too. Normally she hates any of that fantasy type stuff. I'll decline your offer, only as I have to admit I'm a quality snob and I'll end up having to seek the HD/x264 versions out even if I watched yours and its probably good for me to take a break for a little while.......as I've terabytes of stuff that needs to be watched.

But THANK YOU for your kind offer. :) Appreciated.

Very big fan of the Gervaise empire.

I've even watched Derek, which was more cringeworthy that David Brent doing "that" dance in the office.

The podcasts and Guide To series are fantastic and I put them all on CD and listen to them in the car, I think they are probably some of the funniest and most original works I have ever heard.

Also a huge fanof the Idiot Abroads, and Karl Pilkington in general. Who, I am required to say, has a HEAD LIKE A FUCKING ORANGE.

Reality shows are indicative of people being unsatisfied with their own lives IMO and wanting to see conflict and disaster, as this is what most of these shows descend into. Every time I watch Repo. I feel dirty and ashamed of myself.

Very big fan of the Gervaise empire.

I've even watched Derek, which was more cringeworthy that David Brent doing "that" dance in the office.

The podcasts and Guide To series are fantastic and I put them all on CD and listen to them in the car, I think they are probably some of the funniest and most original works I have ever heard.

Also a huge fanof the Idiot Abroads, and Karl Pilkington in general. Who, I am required to say, has a HEAD LIKE A FUCKING ORANGE.

Reality shows are indicative of people being unsatisfied with their own lives IMO and wanting to see conflict and disaster, as this is what most of these shows descend into. Every time I watch Repo. I feel dirty and ashamed of myself.

Oh jesus....we had to kill 'Derek' after about 10mins. That was just PUTRID nonsense....honestly the single worst thing I've ever seem them do - and that new series "Life is Short" is absolute rubbish as well.

Gervais is a bit like that sometimes he'll do absolute crap - I do think he's a bit of a prossie as he's a big chaser of the $$$ and will do anything for it. I think between the two of us we' might have most of their stuff.

If you're a real fan do you have all of Pilkington's books? I'm pretty sure I do, ebook versions only. And do you have the little video Gervais and Merhcant did for Microsoft? Got all the special edition podcasts that they did as well? If so I'm well impressed.........

Yeah, it is a little of a 'dirty lil secret' watching some of the reality shows, haha but thankfully I don't stoop as low as some....(Operation Repo???? You sad sack you!) - ABC2 actually has some decent reality stuff at present - had to laugh it up at "The Undercover Princes' last night and 'Do or Die' is ok as well.

It took me two goes to watch Derek. It was really hard to watch.

I didn't love Life's to short, but I persevered out of blind loyalty.

Johnny Depp was the highlight.

Happy Slapped by a Jellyfish is my favourite. Karl's mind is....eclectic to say the least.

I've got all of the podcasts, the guides, the XFM stuff, the specials, halloween, all that stuff.
All of the Idiots, all of the Ricky Gervaise shows (animated).

I saw Gervaise and Johnny Depp on the Graham Norton show the other night and it was pretty funny.