Latest Adoptees

Draco Noir

Gone but not forgotten...
In Memoriam
Hmmm, the courier guy is very popular at my place this week. This week's offering :

dubl_zpsyzuymbfn.png

Top : Hoshi Tombo 6500
Bottom : Zubari #1 Hoshimasa

The Zubari Hoshimasa was a bit of a stab in the dark. It looked like it had the short blade I really enjoy, and appeared to be a quality razor in fine condition. It didn't disappoint in any of these respects. It measures 54mm along the cutting edge, and is absolutely immaculate. Although sold as Used, I can't see any sign of use at all.

The Hoshi 6500 is yet another variation in Hoshi Tombo's tiny line of innovative East/West hyrid razors. It measures a tad longer in the cutting edge than the 8000 I've posted here before, and has the same 1/4 hollow symmetrical grind.

In line with my current Best Practice regime, I'll send them off for a short holiday with @Mark, so I know the bevels are set perfectly and are consistent with my other razors. Maintenance will be a snap after that, as no doubt will shaving.

Hmmm, the courier guy is very popular at my place this week. This week's offering :

dubl_zpsyzuymbfn.png

Top : Hoshi Tombo 6500
Bottom : Zubari #1 Hoshimasa

The Zubari Hoshimasa was a bit of a stab in the dark. It looked like it had the short blade I really enjoy, and appeared to be a quality razor in fine condition. It didn't disappoint in any of these respects. It measures 54mm along the cutting edge, and is absolutely immaculate. Although sold as Used, I can't see any sign of use at all.

The Hoshi 6500 is yet another variation in Hoshi Tombo's tiny line of innovative East/West hyrid razors. It measures a tad longer in the cutting edge than the 8000 I've posted here before, and has the same 1/4 hollow symmetrical grind.

In line with my current Best Practice regime, I'll send them off for a short holiday with @Mark, so I know the bevels are set perfectly and are consistent with my other razors. Maintenance will be a snap after that, as no doubt will shaving.
Courier bloke made the same mistake AGAIN. I keep telling him I live in Townsville.

Courier bloke made the same mistake AGAIN. I keep telling him I live in Townsville.
Indeed, yet the delivery should be to me, in Sydney!
;)

Sensational razors @Draco Noir - can't wait to hear how they shave!

Wow. Lovely razors DN!

Oh they are beauties....you must show considerable restraint in not being over-affectionate to your courier guy when he comes bearing such riches in his arms....

@Trisbert, they do have a western grind so they aren't really kamisori any more.

But yes you can use either side of the blade. You can do the same with a real kamisori, but you need to maintain a different angle of attack with the two different sides of the blade. And it isn't considered kosher according to Japanese tradition, which is to use only one hand and only one side of the kamisori. As you can imagine, it's rather difficult at first :whistle:

they do have a western grind so they aren't really kamisori any more.

I realised that they wouldn't be kamisori any more and I'm pondering the pros and cons of the short blade.

I have used a regular kamisori and found the one hand operation awkward so I put it in storage until I retire. I like the concept of your blades especially the Hoshi.

Sorry, @Trisbert - seems like I was telling you what you already know...

Apologies accepted but not required, after all I asked the question :)

Your blades have got me thinking about those old razors that so often have a band of deep corrosion at the toe. They would be ideal candidates for conversion to something similar to your Hoshi and Zubari. A project for a rainy weekend :D

Your blades have got me thinking about those old razors that so often have a band of deep corrosion at the toe. They would be ideal candidates for conversion to something similar to your Hoshi and Zubari. A project for a rainy weekend :D

Now you're talking @Trisbert!! I assume you must have some decent metalworking equipment? How will you re-temper the steel after cutting it?

... questions flood the mind of the insatiably curious Draco Noir ...