Honing in Sydney

Loadingdread

Hey all! Just got a 2nd hand razor the other day and im still waiting on getting my honing gear. For now can anyone direct me to a place where I can get my razor honed so I can start using it?

Cheers

Hello and welcome Loadingdread. I can't help with your honing inquiry. You'd think there would be somewhere in Sydney.

I'm in Sydney also and I am not sure of anywhere. I wouldn't trust myself with the Edge Faux just yet.

From another forum the name that is most commonly mentioned is
Oz Parker (a.k.a. onimaru55 on B&B) His contact is ozzzz (at) tpg.com.au

He intends doing that but in the interim would like to have a shave or two. I'm sure when he drops his straight off to be honed he'll come away if not with a load of honing gear, with at least a spot in Sydney or online where he can get that too.

Or sit down and learn yourself.
I liked the bit where you actually read my OP before typing....

I went to this old school barber looking place in Parramatta today and he said he sold his hone because he found out that he could get quite a bit of cash for it.
Thanks for your help Pjotr and Mark, I'll check out Oz.

Last edited:
Now read your original post. Sorry man was just reading the thread.

I'm in Queensland and wasn't able to track down someone to hone when I started so i just grabbed a gold dollar and practiced.

Hey guys I can also vouch for Oz Parker... he is awesome to deal with and dos a great job! I've had 2 of my razors made shave ready, and have recommended him countless times.
I was actually put onto him by the staff at Mensbiz!

Hey guys I can also vouch for Oz Parker... he is awesome to deal with and dos a great job! I've had 2 of my razors made shave ready, and have recommended him countless times.
I was actually put onto him by the staff at Mensbiz!
Oz is THE person to send your razors to... He is one of the main Honemeisters in Australia. He lives in the Upper North Shore region of Sydney. Top bloke.

Has anyone invited him to join our ranks ?

He's a bit more civil than we are, I'm not sure how it would go

Might provide an outlet for his wild side ?

Gold Dollars are not bad razors to learn to hone with because you can wreck them and not worry about them, the downside is they're made from a hardened alloy tool steel which takes longer to hone than your regular carbon steel. I hone them all day every day without a problem. I would love to see more guys start honing their own razors, not to try and put myself out of business or anything I do it primarily for the hobby and once you get the hang of it, it becomes very enjoyable (quite expensive though lol) but lots of fun. Feel free to shoot me any questions, I'll do my best to guide you in the right direction as I have quite a few setups.

I can also vouch for him, even though I never ended up using his services.

He is a straight shooter(see what I did there?), and won't hone your blade if he feels it doesn't need it, or cannot be honed (in the case of cheaper, Pakistani-type blades).

I can also vouch for him, even though I never ended up using his services.

He is a straight shooter(see what I did there?), and won't hone your blade if he feels it doesn't need it, or cannot be honed (in the case of cheaper, Pakistani-type blades).
Oz is a good bloke and top Honemeister. But there's also another fella down in Melbourne.

@Mark has also come along now and is a highly recommended Honemeister. He is a no fuss bloke who is used by retailers across Australia to hone their blades. He lives in Northern Sydney but you can send your blades to him. He also teaches you how to hone for yourself if you want to learn the craft.