g'day y'all

sd_baker

Hi Everyone,

My name is Le and I live in Ontario, Canada. I'm not Australian but I've lived there in a previous life and have some relatives from there.

I recently started honing SRs as an extension of my continued interest in sharp things. Looking forward to learning from y'all here.

My current honing setup is SP1.5k SP 5k, SG500, lapping films, lots of other Japanese synthetics, some diamond plates. Oh and diamond powders, chromox, metal polish, etc for pastes. My initial honing approach is following the scienceofsharp "simple" razor honing steps.

I've made my own strop using veg tanned cowhide 2.5".

I've got 3 GDs and a Titan razor. All have been honed (I use this word loosely) by me.

I have not yet managed to shave with a SR without irritation or remaining stubble. Learning to shave, strop and hone at the same time is quite an interesting 2 weeks so far.

Thanks for accepting me into the Paste and Cut community.

Hello Le and welcome to P&C. You will find plenty of SR users here. Free advice is usually worth what you pay for it, but for someone just going down the SR/honing rabbit hole, I suggest that you send one of your razors to a professional honemeister near you. Then when you get it back you will get to experience SR shaving as it should be and you'll have a target to shoot for when it comes to DIY honing.

Shaving irritation (razor burn) is usually caused by one or more of the following; too much pressure, dull razor, or going over the same area multiple times. A correctly honed razor should give you a close comfortable shave without any irritation.

Cheers,

Phil

Welcome Le. I second the suggestion to get a reference edge from a reputable honer. This will really help you dial in what you are shooting for when you hone, and will provide valuable feedback about the quality of your shaves.

Good luck! It is a lot of fun and doesn't take that long to dial it all in; and from that point on, it is all gravy! :)

Welcome to P&C @sd_baker - great to have you here (y)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Le and I live in Ontario, Canada. I'm not Australian but I've lived there in a previous life and have some relatives from there.

I recently started honing SRs as an extension of my continued interest in sharp things. Looking forward to learning from y'all here.

My current honing setup is SP1.5k SP 5k, SG500, lapping films, lots of other Japanese synthetics, some diamond plates. Oh and diamond powders, chromox, metal polish, etc for pastes. My initial honing approach is following the scienceofsharp "simple" razor honing steps.

I've made my own strop using veg tanned cowhide 2.5".

I've got 3 GDs and a Titan razor. All have been honed (I use this word loosely) by me.

I have not yet managed to shave with a SR without irritation or remaining stubble. Learning to shave, strop and hone at the same time is quite an interesting 2 weeks so far.

Thanks for accepting me into the Paste and Cut community.
Welcome!