Emily Blunt vs Julie Andrews

Mastropiero

Gone but not forgotten...
In Memoriam
Emily Blunt is a better Mary Poppins than Julie Andrews. I am not saying she sings better (she doesn't) or that she's hotter (she is), I am defending she paints a more faithful picture of the Mary Poppins I grew up with through the books. Mind you, I only watched the Disney movie about five years ago, for me, the reference was the character created by P. L. Travers, hence my opinion that Emily Blunt recreates better that character.

Thoughts? Anyone with me?

I haven't seen the Emily Blunt version, but I did read the original books when I was a kid (IIRC I had mumps at the time :rolleyes: and that's another story...) The Julie Andrews version is nauseating.

The other story is that the family doctor came round for a house call (does that happen anymore?) when my balls hurt so much I couldn't walk. He took one look at me, rubbed his hands and said "looks like they'll have to come off!" My revenge must have been sweet 10 years later when I was going out with his beautiful daughter, who still BTW stands out in my memory as having the most sexy basso profundo voice I've ever heard. There you go, that's two stories... :LOL:

Incidentally, I never realised until just a few years ago that P. L. Travers was an Australian. I had always imagined she was English.

Last edited:
Emily Blunt is a better Mary Poppins than Julie Andrews. I am not saying she sings better (she doesn't) or that she's hotter (she is), I am defending she paints a more faithful picture of the Mary Poppins I grew up with through the books. Mind you, I only watched the Disney movie about five years ago, for me, the reference was the character created by P. L. Travers, hence my opinion that Emily Blunt recreates better that character.

Thoughts? Anyone with me?
Agreed, Emily Blunt is definitely hotter (granted, Julie Andrews was pretty good as Mary Poppins) :ROFLMAO:
Never read the books, but I did prefer the Blunt version over the Andrews version, though it has been a while since I watched the latter

I strongly prefer Emily Blunt, because, she has a lot of experience in bed ;) (better slap-on some Rochas Man) and she is not very good at singing, but, she knows how to dance.
Julie Andrews is a fantastic singer and excellent in good looks, however, not so sure about the bed because she is old enough to be my bloody mother.

I wouldn't go as far as calling Julie Andrews' nauseating, unless you are referring to Dick Van Dyke's supposed Cockney accent 🤣. The movie is ok, slightly over the top at times, but what maked me prefer the new version is that Julie Andrews is too good, too smiley, too nice with the kids.

Mary Poppins, the one I grew up with, is not nice. She is caring, but she is definitely not nice. She can be mean at times. I am reading my six years old the books, and she's constantly surprised at how mean MP can be.

Through the books you get to love MP despite her meanness, because she's marvellous and, in spite of everything, everyone can feel the love she has for the kids, plus, she's smart, she's witty.... She's practically perfect in every way.

This is what I feel Emily Blunt brings to the table much better than Julie Andrews did.

I wouldn't go as far as calling Julie Andrews' nauseating, unless you are referring to Dick Van Dyke's supposed Cockney accent 🤣. The movie is ok, slightly over the top at times, but what maked me prefer the new version is that Julie Andrews is too good, too smiley, too nice with the kids.

Mary Poppins, the one I grew up with, is not nice. She is caring, but she is definitely not nice. She can be mean at times. I am reading my six years old the books, and she's constantly surprised at how mean MP can be.

Through the books you get to love MP despite her meanness, because she's marvellous and, in spite of everything, everyone can feel the love she has for the kids, plus, she's smart, she's witty.... She's practically perfect in every way.

This is what I feel Emily Blunt brings to the table much better than Julie Andrews did.
Do your kids like Nanny McPhee then?

Do your kids like Nanny McPhee then?
She actually does, not a big fan, she much prefers MP, but she does like Nanny McPhee.

images

Somebody called a plastic surgeon… I’m OUT!!!