Dovo's Future Production Capacity

kwigibocity

hi ya'll

It enormously sucks to declare it, but just FYI; due to absurd lead times and never enough labor that knows how to make them, Dovo's decided to limit what can be ordered and greatly reduce what will be made in the first place. I don't see that they had so much choice in the matter. I've uploaded a slightly redacted Kosher-for-public-consumption portion of our communications, as from 5yrs+ of dealing with all manners of German firms and Dovo as king I suspect those who are looking for an "announcement from Dovo" would have a better chance of getting the same from whomever or whatever makes Rooney shaving brushes. They can believe or not believe or interpret those screenshots however they see fit - ignorance is the purest form of bliss, to be envied by the supposedly more learned.

When we started selling them back in 2009, we had to queue 4-6 mos. for the basic stuff and 6-9 mos. for the costly ones. Those figures became two to three YEARS this year. Also, what we were exported from Dovo has steadily declined the last 2.5yrs, despite ordering early (earliest?) and often and in volume; I know that James Bond helped propel their visibility, but the fact of the matter is that with the Germans it has always been first come is first served, and there simply could not possibly have been that many more hands asking for razors, nor were they asking early enough versus our strong incumbency, for their to be any logical explanation beyond what I know, off the record, to be the fact of the matter; maximum capacity's not nearly what it was.

A 10-yr apprenticeship to learn the fine art of holding a razor blank to a grinding wheel/strop without burning or chipping it just doesn't have the appeal to a 20-yr-old German kid it did pre-internet. Combine that fact with an aging incumbent workforce succumbing to retirement or just their sum spins 'round the earth and Dovo is between a rock and another rock.

Beyond quotas, they'll be greatly pairing down their selection, eliminating all exotic grinds or materials. I think we've seen the last square or Spanish points from Dovo, but you never know. Until they issue the death certificate I'll be begging for them.

In 2014, there were officially 38 models. 2015 begins with but 9 assured, none especially "exotic" to me, and then hopefully - vain hope, almost certainly, but that's better than nothing - more selection will be added later.

An absolute haymaker for little TSS, the custom model for which I did invest a $3000 personal trip to Solingen at all my own expense to help design is, like all custom work, now a non-starter. Should've ordered a hell of a lot more of that &#$%er when I'd the chance, dadgum capital and its constant limits. Oh, to be Apple...

Hollow grinding a razor's tough. I am hoping that the dearth in Dovo's capacity and diversity will help forge an era of 1-or-2-person shops of str8rzr production, such as what flourished in the "Golden Age" of their production (~post-Civil War to pre-Titanic). The materials needed to start a shop aren't much more than getting a Subway running (do they have that crappy chain in Oz and NZ?), it is that damn skill that's the bugger of it.

Anyway, buy what we've got, 'mmkay, and give some of those other little brands (some of which are in fact <3 master grinders) a shot! Happy shaving, ya'll.

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 20
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 17
Just as wet/traditional shaving begins to gather steam, the big gun(s) cut back. More room for the smaller guys as you said. But will impact the prices no doubt.
Thanks for the heads up.

I'll have to stick with DE then!

I am a DE guy but if I want to buy a straight then I want to be able to and not have to wait 3 years. So from that perspective, it's good.

The thing I hate is the special, collectable models which will actually gain in value as a collectable has basically vanished, forcing us to move to other sellers. I hope you will be opening some very serious conversations with those 'niche' makers Jarrod.