Lather Shots

20160728_DC_EP_MW_TBWS_zpsdp0xqtwp.jpg

Doug Korn Epsilon + Mystic Water
Look at that drippy goodness, haha;)

a1ee8c181a4666f03bbf2e08a73736c4.jpg

Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 Band + Tabula Rasa Cardamom

Started with a dripping wet brush, I can conclude for now that only tallow soaps like that. Or, I keep on loading it until it thickens up which is bit of a waste. Lather got really bubbly really quick and there is too much water in the brush. Totally screwed the lather up Imo.

I still think it is easier to start with a damp brush, no matter what your lather of choice...

It might be faster with a wet brush, but you have to have much more experience with the lather/brush combo.

I basically use 3 soap brands and 5 badgers and still am not confident enough to start with a wet brush...

I still think it is easier to start with a damp brush, no matter what your lather of choice...

It might be faster with a wet brush, but you have to have much more experience with the lather/brush combo.

I basically use 3 soap brands and 5 badgers and still am not confident enough to start with a wet brush...
Yea I have learnt the way now. Had great success with those super easy lathering soaps, but it doesn't always work. Thanks for the advice!

I totally agree. The easiest way to screw up my lather is to introduce too much water too quickly. I know that when I used to use 1 brush I had a fairly decent idea of how to shake water out so that it held the ideal amount. But, having a fairly large range to choose from meant I need to adjust that. Also, I have some brushes, like the Thater or Chubby, that hold a ton of water and really need to be squeezed out well.
My initial problem with the dry/damp brush method was that it was too dry. The brush couldn't load enough product if it was so dry. That was fixed once I watched the video that @alfredus linked to. Now I feel ok adding water to the brush as I'm loading. Initial misgivings about using too much product proved unfounded.
For me, adding water slowly is the key to a slippery, protective lather.

I totally agree. The easiest way to screw up my lather is to introduce too much water too quickly. I know that when I used to use 1 brush I had a fairly decent idea of how to shake water out so that it held the ideal amount. But, having a fairly large range to choose from meant I need to adjust that. Also, I have some brushes, like the Thater or Chubby, that hold a ton of water and really need to be squeezed out well.
My initial problem with the dry/damp brush method was that it was too dry. The brush couldn't load enough product if it was so dry. That was fixed once I watched the video that @alfredus linked to. Now I feel ok adding water to the brush as I'm loading. Initial misgivings about using too much product proved unfounded.
For me, adding water slowly is the key to a slippery, protective lather.
TR take three, been coughing my lungs out for the past two days, somewhat relates to why no lather shots.

Much better results and it was creamy all the way. No big visible bubbles and the TR surely doesn't like too much water too quickly. I added drops and drops of water, took a while to get to a workable lather but tonight's shave proved that the lather done this way is much more reliable and stable. Thanks guys for your tips.

But, I think tallow soaps like Stirling and some others work much better for me. I'll swap back to tallow on Monday. Tomorrow is lanolin soap day for me.