What's up with all the Vintage SE Gems around?

StueyB

Been on the hunt for a vintage DE and have noticed that while they are few and far between in Melbourne that there seem to be a large number of Gem SE razors available.

Went to Launceston and the antique markets there seemed full of Gems but I only saw on DE - a badly rusted Gillette.

Were the Gems the go to razor in south-eastern Australia back before we fell to the evil of cartridges?

.........Were the Gems the go to razor in south-eastern Australia back before we fell to the evil of cartridges?
I doubt it. It's more like SEs were the go to razor before the evil of DE. Not sure why you're only running in to vintage SEs.

I doubt it. It's more like SEs were the go to razor before the evil of DE. Not sure why you're only running in to vintage SEs.

Because 'somebody' came in a week before and purchased all the DEs - that is what I'm always told!

Because 'somebody' came in a week before and purchased all the DEs - that is what I'm always told!
Yeah, the GEMS are the left-overs... Good pickin' for the SE lovers but no love for everyone else.

Yes... that's what I'm seeing, too. I went into a country town antique shop today and found FOUR 1912 patent Gems! Bought the best one in great condition for $25. They also had a 1940's Tech and a 1960's Tech in ordinary to crap condition... both had been dropped, the 1940's one had a couple of mashed teeth, very worn plating and was $10, the other almost as bad and was $15. Then the lady told me she had had half a shoe box full of Gillettes until a dealer from Newcastle had been through last month and "picked the eyes out of them!"

I know that story. The last antique shop I was at several weeks ago the owner told me that I was to late because a guy from Hawaii came in and took his whole inventory of 13 vintage Gillette's. Nuts!

I have some vintage de and we razors for sale in Perth. Bit too far for you guys to have a hunt through though. Lols