Advice Sought: Cleaning & Polishing Gillette Slim Adjustable

Bucephalus

Last month, a close friend passed away. Yesterday, I was kindly permitted to select a personal item as a reminder of our friendship. I chose his razor which research indicates is a U.S. manufactured Gillette Slim Adjustable of 1963 vintage.

As I wish the item clean and polished but am ignorant of the processes, I seek advice of the following:
a. Materials used in construction,
b. Materials used in cleaning, and
c. Detailed step-by-step cleaning/polishing instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Soak
1. Plastic Container
2. Hot Water
3. Dish Soap (Palmolive, Dawn etc etc)

Clean
4. Tooth Brush
5. Pipe Cleaner
6. Needle (Optional. I use one to clean tiny areas on handles)

Polish
7. Cleaning Rag
8. Mother Metal Polish (My personal choice)

Sanitize
Isopropyl alcohol 70% (I use Barbicide but Isopropyl way easier to find.)

Hey @Becephalus, sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

The 1963 Slim Adjustable is a great razor and will be an incredibly special reminder of him I'm sure.

The Slims are nickel plated brass with painted numbers and should clean up a treat.

@Maxime D. has outlined a similar routine to mine except I would use a toothpick rather than a needle and toothpaste (a mild polish) rather than polish. Whatever you do go gently!

As @Normie said our own @FatBoy58 does an amazing job with a more comprehensive clean and polish. While not a replate and polish like the Razor Emporium Revamp service most razors come up looking the goods. I'd suggest you PM him for more info - he now asks a nominal fee but it is worth it.

1949 was the time of the British Aristocrats, the US Aristocrats and Milords - some really nice razors.

Yup, thanks Mark1966
Rather than a steel needle, I'd probably use toothpick flossing plastic doo-dahs and "Swisspers Dual Cosmetic Tips" cotton buds for fine detailing.

"1949 was the time of the British Aristocrats, the US Aristocrats and Milords - some really nice razors." AND Scots-born Aussies :LOL::LOL: ;).

Last edited:
Point taken thanks. I'd not wish to stuff it.

@Becephalus if you don't want to stuff it or any further damage, than my strongest advise is give it to @FatBoy58 because he has many years experience cleaning & polishing Gillette Slim Adjustable. I'm sure @FatBoy58 would be able to help you, all you have to do is ask him nicely ;)

Hey @Becephalus, sorry to hear of your friend's passing.

The 1963 Slim Adjustable is a great razor and will be an incredibly special reminder of him I'm sure.

The Slims are nickel plated brass with painted numbers and should clean up a treat.

Funnily enough... I bought an I4 date code Slim yesterday... well it arrived yesterday! After a quick clean & disinfect (isoprpyl) I had my first shave with it this morning using an Astra.... arguably the best TTO shave I have ever had! What a beautiful razor. Used it at position 7 (1-9 available) and was delighted at the result! Think it's going to replace my Fat Handle 3 piece and my super speed as my goto razor. Well, it will at least be in my rotation trio! Goodbye, L6 Lord!

Last edited by a moderator:
Resurrecting an old thread, but I have a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable coming soon and want to look after it properly. A lot can change in a year, so is the information above still relevant?

Resurrecting an old thread, but I have a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable coming soon and want to look after it properly. A lot can change in a year, so is the information above still relevant?

Same, same mate !

Soak
1. Plastic Container
2. Hot Water
3. Dish Soap (Palmolive, Dawn etc etc)

Clean
4. Tooth Brush
5. Pipe Cleaner
6. Needle (Optional. I use one to clean tiny areas on handles)

Polish
7. Cleaning Rag
8. Mother Metal Polish (My personal choice)

Sanitize
Isopropyl alcohol 70% (I use Barbicide but Isopropyl way easier to find.)

You won't find any better than the above from Maxime_D!!! L.A.B. (Proud Slim owner)

This would be my method,

Clean
Ultrasonic Cleaner
Water
Simple Green
Run for 30 minutes (may need longer)
Rinse in clean water then dry

Polish
Polishing Cloth
Autosol Metal Polish