Review Shampoo Bars - a personal journey!

Wash Ten

Cleanser: Beauty and the Bees Tasmanian Real Beer Shampoo Bar
Rinse: Mazzetti Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted)

Washed again this morning. Minor irritation of the scalp over the last couple of days - I'm still on the fence to be honest. Haircut today, we shall see if that makes a difference :)

I'm getting to the end of the bottle of vinegar - probably one wash left - but have a spray bottle made up for after that.

While I didn't weight the bar I'm actually using before commencing this journey the other one I got at the same time weighs 114g. After 10 washes this one is 58g, a loss of 56g or 5.6g per wash.

At this rate the current bar will last another 10 washes, so 20 in total, or about two months (at a wash every three days). A lot less than the six months 'claimed' -

Q: How long do the bars last?

A: This is difficult to answer as it depends on how long and thick the hair is, and how often the hair is washed.
A regular user reports that his Beer shampoo lasts for six months!
Remember that our shampoo bars are totally concentrated shampoo, with minimal water content. With proper use & care ( kept dry between uses on one of our Huon Pine Soap Savers) they should last for a long time.
And there is no plastic bottle to pollute the earth after the shampoo is used up.

[Source: http://www.beebeauty.com/info-hair-care/]
My bar is down to about 15-20% of its original size since I received it. So a bar would last me about a month plus, struggling to hit two months as well.

Initially I spend more time 'loading' my one band head, but now I reduce the loading time, still able to generate sufficient lather. Bar seems to last a little longer but not 6 months long.

Glad I am not alone. I find it hard to believe a bar lasts up to 6 month, unless I wash once every week. Which I don't. At times I even shower twice a day.

A: This is difficult to answer as it depends on how long and thick the hair is, and how often the hair is washed.
Remember that our shampoo bars are totally concentrated shampoo, with minimal water content. With proper use & care ( kept dry between uses on one of our Huon Pine Soap Savers) they should last for a long time.
And there is no plastic bottle to pollute the earth after the shampoo is used up.

"A" user reported... they aren't actually claiming it will last that long for anyone else. Secondly, regular doesn't mean frequent.

Some people here use more than that in shaving soap to shave their whiskers!
*cough*
<looks away>

Where do you guys store your soap? Just asking, because if it is kept wet/moist, it might melt away...

Where do you guys store your soap? Just asking, because if it is kept wet/moist, it might melt away...

Here -

It dries out within the day

Wash Eleven

Last of the bottle of vinegar not already in the spray.

All seems to be OK, scalp a little more sensitive than previously but has largely settled down. Next wash will be the spray and leave vinegar in for a couple of minutes before rinsing out.

BTW - had a haircut since the last wash.

Last edited:
Wash Twelve

Conditioning Spray: Mazzetti Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (1:5 diluted)

OK, so this is the first in the new routine.
  1. Wash hair with shampoo bar
  2. Leave in hair for a minute or two
  3. Rinse
  4. Spray vinegar solution on hair and work in
  5. Leave in hair for a minute or two
  6. Rinse
Much nicer than the vinegar dunking.

I also notice that the bathroom still has a faint but noticeable smell from the shampoo bar. Even if you don't use one it might be worth getting as a room deodouriser!

Wash Eleven

Last of the bottle of vinegar not already in the spray.

All seems to be OK, scalp a little more sensitive than previously but has largely settled down. Next wash will be the spray and leave vinegar in for a couple of minutes before rinsing out.

BTW - had a haircut since the last wash.
Did the hairdresser notice?

Wash Thirteen

Same process, same result, all seems to have settled down.

I will post each wash until this bar if finished so I can have a record of how many washes out if it :)

Wash Thirteen

Same process, same result, all seems to have settled down.

I will post each wash until this bar if finished so I can have a record of how many washes out if it :)

Still using my Beauty and the Bees Bar (Moroccan Mud).

Wash Fourteen

Did I wash my hair on Monday or did I really last wash Saturday? Hmmm, can't recall! OOPS :)

Anyway, the vinegar spray and leave in for a few minutes before rinsing our certainly seems to be as efficacious as the dousing with the solution - I would encourage others to take this route is the dousing is off putting.

Wash Fourteen

Did I wash my hair on Monday or did I really last wash Saturday? Hmmm, can't recall! OOPS :)

Anyway, the vinegar spray and leave in for a few minutes before rinsing our certainly seems to be as efficacious as the dousing with the solution - I would encourage others to take this route is the dousing is off putting.
@Mark1966 - I'm a douser. Must be my acid-head past........

Wash Ten

Washed again this morning. Minor irritation of the scalp over the last couple of days - I'm still on the fence to be honest. Haircut today, we shall see if that makes a difference :)

I'm getting to the end of the bottle of vinegar - probably one wash left - but have a spray bottle made up for after that.

While I didn't weight the bar I'm actually using before commencing this journey the other one I got at the same time weighs 114g. After 10 washes this one is 58g, a loss of 56g or 5.6g per wash.

At this rate the current bar will last another 10 washes, so 20 in total, or about two months (at a wash every three days). A lot less than the six months 'claimed' -

5.6g per use seems excessive if you have short-medium length hair.

I use my Liggett's bar daily and a 100g bar lasts me about 5 months.

Impressive!

I confess I have probably been using less as I've gotten used to it and am lathering more lightly with the bar but then still creating a decent lather massaging it in.

Impressive!

I confess I have probably been using less as I've gotten used to it and am lathering more lightly with the bar but then still creating a decent lather massaging it in.

That makes sense. As you keep reducing bit by bit, you'll come to the level you're happy with where you are getting good lather and results without using too much.

I find just a quick couple of swipes makes sufficient lather and gives me great results.

Where were you when others were saying they used more shaving soap than that per shave?

Where were you when others were saying they used more shaving soap than that per shave?

hahaha

Actually I did read that and thought it was just a joke.

I average half a gram per shave!! 0.75g if I push it.
The lather is never lacking in quality or quantity for the full shave.
I don't buy in to the "load it like you hate it" mantra. It's wasteful and just not needed!
Loading extra doesn't make the lather itself any better, it just makes more than is required.
I mean, what's the point of 2 passes worth of lather going doing the drain?

Wash Fifteen

Nothing exciting to report - which is exciting?