May 2016 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of new sharp shiny things flying their way to me from Japan. Both have a bit more hone wear than I like but they are straight, Lone Wolf is 5/8 the Hoshi over 6/8. My first Kami so hitting the books on how to hone these!

@Sxot - congrats on the Hoshitombo 8000. My first Japanese folding razor was one of these, and it shaves just beautifully. It's also incredibly comfortable to wield with that extra long tang :)

As far as honing is concerned, the grind on almost all Kami style folding straights is not a full on single bevel Kamisori grind. It just emphasises one side of the bevelled cutting edge a bit, so you end up with a 60/40 or 70/30 "weight" on the bevel. Some of the more respected Japanese culinary knife makers do the same thing to improve the cutting performance of their knives without making the blade difficult to use. So with your Hoshi, just hone it exactly the same way that you would hone a German straight and you should be able to produce a brilliant shaving edge. The same applies to shaving with it - just use it like a western straight.

Hope this helps,

Draco

Thanks @Draco Noir. So, the way I understand what you are saying is the offset bevel is a result of an asymmetrical grind. That to hone it with the spine on the stone, on both sides as per normal.

Did I get that right?

Yes @Sxot, that is spot on : just hone as normal. The slightly different location of the spine's contact point on each side takes care of creating a bevel that is slightly assymetrical.

One other quick tip : the steel in the Hoshitombos is very hard, and will take longer to hone than most other razors. Be aware of this, and you'll be golden (y)

Ass soap? What the hell is that? Does it use Donkey Milk in it or something.
I once asked @Lifes a Peach that exact question when he first whipped that soap out. And yes! Made with real donkey milk. But the milk content is only 30% of the whole soap composition. I can't wait to use it.

It's also called an ass soap because it makes your face baby ass smooth. [emoji23]

My last for the month - and a while longer too. And pardon the double up.

A lot of stuff arrived this month. The razors:
x306A7K.jpg

Left to right: the Feather AS-D2, the Fine Slant, the Phoenix DOC in Satin, and the Ikon Open Comb deluxe in DLC (or somesuch). Those observant will notice that I have swapped the Feather handle with the Ikon Bulldog handle just to see what difference it makes.

So far - after only a couple of shaves of all of them - the ikon Open Comb is a lovely solid razor that is just a bit better than my DB89, I don't like the Fine Slant, I LOVE the Feather, and I wish I hadn't bought the Phoenix! But, lets see what happens over time.

And with the Phoenix DOC, a couple of their balms (gotta make the shipping worthwhile...):
xvRxJDp.jpg

and a sample pack of "Gondolier". I've tried the Gondolier and the Sangre de Draco but not yet the Cavendish. Nice balms but interestingly they both have kind of stung my face - not a menthol effect, almost a mild irritating burn that fades over maybe 10 minutes. Skin feels good for a long while, though. I think I still prefer Shaver Heaven balms from @Anthony though.

x306A7K.jpg

Left to right: the Feather AS-D2, the Fine Slant, the Phoenix DOC in Satin, and the Ikon Open Comb deluxe in DLC (or somesuch). Those observant will notice that I have swapped the Feather handle with the Ikon Bulldog handle just to see what difference it makes.

So far - after only a couple of shaves of all of them - the ikon Open Comb is a lovely solid razor that is just a bit better than my DB89, I don't like the Fine Slant, I LOVE the Feather, and I wish I hadn't bought the Phoenix! But, lets see what happens over time.

And with the Phoenix DOC, a couple of their balms (gotta make the shipping worthwhile...):
xvRxJDp.jpg

and a sample pack of "Gondolier". I've tried the Gondolier and the Sangre de Draco but not yet the Cavendish. Nice balms but interestingly they both have kind of stung my face - not a menthol effect, almost a mild irritating burn that fades over maybe 10 minutes. Skin feels good for a long while, though. I think I still prefer Shaver Heaven balms from @Anthony though.
What are your thoughts on the Sangre De Drago? I've got the soap & it doesn't have a very complex scent in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on the Sangre De Drago? I've got the soap & it doesn't have a very complex scent in my opinion.
If there was a perfume option I'd be tempted. I rather like it. In terms of other balms I have and therefore comparing it to, it's very similar in texture and feel to the Tabac balm. (I'm not entirely certain about the 'burn' feel as I'm wondering if it is in fact the witch-hazel and aloe I'm using before I put on the balm.)

The scent is different than anything I've ever tried, but I don't know I can really comment on it's complexity. It certainly has several notes, but I can't identify them

If there was a perfume option I'd be tempted. I rather like it. In terms of other balms I have and therefore comparing it to, it's very similar in texture and feel to the Tabac balm. (I'm not entirely certain about the 'burn' feel as I'm wondering if it is in fact the witch-hazel and aloe I'm using before I put on the balm.)

The scent is different than anything I've ever tried, but I don't know I can really comment on it's complexity. It certainly has several notes, but I can't identify them
Thanks for that. I'll keep powering on with the soap & hopefully those multiple scents come out.

x306A7K.jpg

xvRxJDp.jpg

The RAD is strong in you :D

x306A7K.jpg

xvRxJDp.jpg

Very keen on that feather. Heard nothing but good stuffs about it amongst the mild contenders. Yes, RAD is strong in you sir. Nearly pulled the trigger on the DOC as well. Phew.

How is that CAD aftershave? I love the soap.

I have only used it once, and a several days ago, so can't give you details on the scent but I quite like it. I don't have anything to compare it to, but a winner for me and the Mrs. Only low levels of menthol, good balance of ingredients to give you a little brace on application but fades quick to soft and soothing. I am yet to find a PAA aftershave I don't like. Their performance is great, scent is long lasting... wonderful stuff in my humble opinion. If you like the soap, you'll like the A/S.

I am yet to find a PAA aftershave I don't like. Their performance is great, scent is long lasting... wonderful stuff in my humble opinion. If you like the soap, you'll like the A/S.
Ditto. I'd even say that their aftershave is better than their soap. (Although their latest version of their soap isn't too bad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.