Duke 2 Best - where to from here?

Sxot

Artisan Producer
So I have a bunch of brushes of various types but have settled on the Duke 2 Best is a clear winner as my fave. The others are good, but if I could only have one brush this would be it - easy decision. The others are all smaller, or stiffer so I think that means I like the level of backbone, with it's level of softness, and density. Face lathering by the way.

So I could spend the rest of my days using the Duke, and occasionally rotating in some of my other brushes that I like (all badgers now) but that's not very exciting is it. It makes me wonder - what is Duke 2 good, but better?? If I could pick a fault with the duke I would say it could be softer. I have vintage Simpson in best and oh boy it's soft - like a cloud but missing some backbone. I think that is where brush nirvana is, everything Duke2, but softer. Possible?

So, what do I try next???

@Sxot how long have you been using the Duke 2 Best for?, the longer you keep using it will get softer at some stage you can't make it any softer than a silvertip ;)

@Sxot why don't you get yourself another best badger brush a Berkeley 46 Best Badger for $75AUD you better hurry http://pureman.com.au/shop/grooming...rushes/berkeley-46-best-badger-shaving-brush/

Colonel X2L Best Badger for nearly $85AUD http://www.theshaveshed.com.au/shav...ns-colonel-x2l-shaving-brush-best-badger.html

Commodore X2 Best Badger for nearly $82AUD http://www.theshaveshed.com.au/shav...s-commodore-x2-shaving-brush-best-badger.html

Remember you better hurry fast ;)

Last edited:
They don't appear to be much different that the Duke. In what way do you think they will exceed the Duke?

@Sxot I've own a Berkeley 46 Best Badger it very much the same as your Duke 2 Best and the performance and backbone is almost the same, okay on the left is the Berkeley 46 Best and in the middle is the Duke 2 Best is up to you.

P1260822.JPG

Last edited:
@Sxot how long have you been using the Duke 2 Best for?, the longer you keep using it will get softer at some stage you can't make it any softer than a silvertip ;)(y)

Shavemac 2-band Silvertip is the short answer

Shavemac 2-band Silvertip in fan or bulb with a xxmm knot, a yymm loft in a zzzzz handle is the long answer :D

Like DN, I think others are better placed to comment than me. Blokes like @Lifes a Peach @youngbuck @alfredus and dark horses @SydBJW and @shavetheman

Shavemac 2-band Silvertip in fan or bulb with a xxmm knot, a yymm loft in a zzzzz handle is the long answer :D
I concur with @alfredus based on my limited experience.
Shavemac 2-band silvertip or the D01 Extra Silvertip are my picks. Both have great backbone (the 2-band because of the different bristles, the D01 is packed more densely but not like the Chubby). Both have super soft tips - more than any Simpson I have or tried. The only Simpson silvertip softer ~to my understanding~ would be the Manchurian ST.

As has been said time and again, there's no real standard or way to compare across knot/brush makers.
There ARE real differences with Silver tip badger.

As you've done, it's best to ask those who have used a variety of badger brushes from different makers.

Oh and of course I forgot: if you you go Shavemac, don't forget to ask Bernd for his advice - he knows best!

Yes, sounds like a shavemac is the way to go. The Duke 2 is a magnificent brush and there's not much in the sub $200 range that could beat it for face lathering. You could look at a Semogue 2 band I suppose. Also, I know you mentioned no Simpson, but a Chubby 2 sounds like it could be in your future.

There have been some excellent suggestions posted here from guys with a tonne of experience and modesty. I'm still exploring so not an expert by any means but these brushes would happily sit along side my Duke 3 and get equal love.

1. Shavemac D01 Silvertip (@Draco Noir 's) - once broken in you get lovely soft tips and perfect backbone; easy lathering control; face lathering beast. Just pick a handle.
2. Thater 4125/2 - (@Young Buck 's) similar experience that you get with the Shavemac above but larger knot and handle. You could always downsize from a 26mm knot but this brush does not feel like a 26mm knot would.

If are a face latherer, like me, then we are talking about brushes that have nice pillowy soft tips to spoil your face, lovely backbone to so that you can feel the thing without lather flying all over your bathroom, and just the right amount of density that allows the lather to flow perfectly.

My shopping list for 2017 is coming along nicely :)

@Sxot - the one thing I do know is none of these brushes will push your Duke out of the inner circle. The Duke will always be the brush that you judge all others (y)

Another option - although a bit complicated: Romera is selling knots at the moment. I would never go through the hassle of ordering a poorly finished handle from him (I guess @Draco Noir could chime in there), but you could get a knot and send it directly to a brush maker of your choice...

Yeah so I tried to order a xxmm knot but I couldn't see it on the website?!

Yes, sounds like a shavemac is the way to go. The Duke 2 is a magnificent brush and there's not much in the sub $200 range that could beat it for face lathering. You could look at a Semogue 2 band I suppose. Also, I know you mentioned no Simpson, but a Chubby 2 sounds like it could be in your future.

I've given some thought to the Chubby. Only apprehension is it is too dense/big? Not sure. Also thought about a Simpsons Manchurian.

If are a face latherer, like me, then we are talking about brushes that have nice pillowy soft tips to spoil your face, lovely backbone to so that you can feel the thing without lather flying all over your bathroom, and just the right amount of density that allows the lather to flow perfectly.

My shopping list for 2017 is coming along nicely

@Sxot - the one thing I do know is none of these brushes will push your Duke out of the inner circle. The Duke will always be the brush that you judge all others (y)

Accurate description of requirement.

Thanks for the excellent comments everyone.

Last edited:
So, I went to the Shavemac configurator. Knot options only list one D01, one Two band ... the same knot. Unless I am missing something but your comments seem to suggest there is a D01, and a Two Band Silver Tip.

Silvertip D01 2-Band extra tight and short hair knot. Knot size 23 mm, Hair loft = 45 mm. No options.

Then they go and complicate things. Outside the "configurator" under "powerfully ones" there is a similar knot Extra Silvertip D01 2-Band, but you get diameter options, 18mm through to 28mm, and fan or bulb. I get lost at that point.

Either option the price seems good, at least compared to say a Simpson's Manchurian. Same price as a Chubby 2 Best. Super Badger doesn't have enough backbone right?

Help!

Last edited:
Yeah so I tried to order a xxmm knot but I couldn't see it on the website?!

Thanks for the excellent comments everyone.

"xxmm" refers to size as in 24mm

Romera - click here - but I'd give that a wide berth just now. Stick to a brush that you can buy off-the-shelf for now and revisit his knots later on.

I know... sarcasm... never translates does it!

I'm thinking the Extra Silvertip D01 2-Band in 26mm (or 28?) fan might be the go.
I've emailed them for advice though.

We need a "sarcastic" smiley :)

You have made the right move by emailing Bernd. He will guide you towards making a choice that suits you.