Best camera to take to Europe in September

Thinking about investing in a point and shoot camera, from reading here and elsewhere the Canon g7x and Sony rx100 iii seem to fit the bill. Don't think I'd use 4k video so no point getting the rx100 iv.

I have seen the g7x mark 2 has recently come out, is it worth shelling out a bit extra for the mark 2 or Is there something better coming out that's worth waiting for as I'm in no rush?

@stillshunter seems to be the resident expert but interested in everyone's opinions and any good deals going?

Mate what are your priorities - e.g., zoom range, main subject matter - landscapes, portraits, wildlife, etc., do you want point and shoot or do you want more manual control, will you be looking for control of files (i.e., will you want RAW files), etc., etc.

Bit of an all rounder really, mainly landscapes, wildlife, typical travel shots I guess and the occasional SOTD shot! I have no experience with photography so a point and shoot would be probably be better than manual. Being able to shoot in RAW would be nice but not essential.

I definitely don't want anything big and cumbersome to drag around. I like the idea of it having wifi but could do without if needs be.

Hopefully that somewhat answers the questions...?

the wildlife bit complicates matters and makes for a much, much bigger camera. otherwise the Panasonic LX100 sounds a real possibility for you. great resolution from a half frame (micro four thirds) sensor in a compact body with great controls and with a very capable and fast 'Leica' 24-75mm lens.

the wildlife bit complicates matters and makes for a much, much bigger camera. otherwise the Panasonic LX100 sounds a real possibility for you. great resolution from a half frame (micro four thirds) sensor in a compact body with great controls and with a very capable and fast 'Leica' 24-75mm lens.

The wildlife thing is definitely not high on the priorities as it would be a very very rare occurrence and I certainly don't want a big camera. From what I have googled it seems the LX100 has more manual control over things which I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing for me. Guess it depends on the learning curve and ease of use.

Size wise I prefer the smaller form factor of the RX100 and the G7X but the LX100 isn't that much bigger.

I cannot comment on the other cameras but as a passable amateur I can tell the difference between shots on the iPhone 6+ and Gx7 and it is only a small step up to what I usually get on my DSLR Canon 650D - all on auto settings.

I can play more with the DSLR and get a better result but often don't. I could learn to play more with the Gx7 but haven't learnt. Definite improvement on the iPhone though even on fully auto settings BUT ...

I found I needed to remember to take the Gx7 with me and have it OUT. A few times on my recent trip it was either at our accommodation or in the bottom of my bag and the iPhone was more accessible. It was also more convenient to take a quick iPhone picture to Instagram that use the Gx7, transfer etc etc. A variation on the old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you.

@Mark1966 very good point, I can definitely see myself falling into that trap of leaving the camera behind especially if it's too big to fit in my pocket.

Convenience and ease of use is a must.

Do you have a strap for your camera?

I actually picked up a small pouch for the Gx7 which can strap onto a belt - means it is always there ;)

if you want a capable compact - with emphasis on the latter - then you're right the RX100 or G7x are good choices. And if you are happy with the small sensor and with better reach than maybe something like the Panasonic TZ110. Same 1" sensor as the RX100-series but with a zoom range from around 25mm out to 300mm.