Shave of the Day Thread - 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
sFWIOix.jpg

Put the new straight to the test this morning. It is a beautiful razor perfect weight and balance, only down fall is it isn't a sharp is want it to be :(. But it is still sharp enough to make three passes.
The 'Suds' keep impressing me with its slickness and cushion (might be my new favourite soap, tough to tell yet though), then to finish it all up the Thayers and Drogon Noir AB.
Enjoy your Sunday's gents (y)

Razor: Gillette 'Fatboy' Adjustable (5)
Blade: Vintage Schick Superior Platinum (1)
Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson (reknotted in pure)
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Shaving Soaps - Barbershop
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum, Limes and Peppercorn

Great start to the month - I hope that the rest are as good. The razor will also stay the same and the type of blade will be locked in too. Brushes will be my standard seven day rotation with the aftershave being the only variable.

20160501_084721 by tvrepairzone, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Simpsons Commodore X2
Soap: Mystic Water Teakwood and Cardamom
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and Captains Choice Bay Rum
Let the May madness begin with a sensational three pass shave. Lathered up the Mystic Water till it couldn't take any more water and was rewarded with a glossy, slick lather. The Simpson brush continues to improve in every department as it gets broken in. The Captains Choice Bay Rum is a lovely scent that lasts well into the day.

hRK9QPTxd585zTePuNbiWJIBh1oZABQ0ByYgON4Ko_H9q_LPGCEqIO028JCH-Sh_WIIwkh--wgF5kgK-O6gCrwu4f2qNlSY0HE3Z-c9fFrQnDKok_IqslX7Z34qfguB02fEeczv8RTW_Bn4la8b_Nqwq25bM25bBcpMryzhbdHk02kn49lPma0gdElinVOa2bDl93__7c7n3kkXr0N75vb5wYGHX63nV24HvSqwIOmWXQQhL0omYK1BiXmQY-nlWKucsrIVp-I7CInINe6SZ8YdKR-WAIUGfSTgmANMSLbEsonFOrtiGmSUZBZ-3d01A_TiPGwRThxomY7HvKZoE5haZX55Z8utPk4WqJc9edBIZZltR6gYku9fW_OlpBeb--0CRhP6Dan07tBz56yh2V-U7S0-woGOaj0GtISDCy4oJEySPdAbp3gVRXjA_G6GgqZvItaI-7qn_Gyj-cgmxNdoFUxrn5OsJtzzJyqeumo8yjd650SYMJagX38rkFB9J067Poznel1h0l2tCtiehtPSEQNWRNWFKdbysNioSE_uXVDDdj3cBHroWfdKBljLUNsO2=w477-h358-no

Face Wash : Musgo Real Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Proraso Green Pre-Shave
Brush : Shavemac Custom
Soap : Meissner Tremonia Mint Ice Menthol
Razor : Fine Superlite Slant
Blade : Feather [1]
After Shave : Alum, Witch Hazel/Aloe Vera, Bvlgari Man

Still very much in the grip of this little Slant Razor...

I decided to go for a bit of a menthol start to the shave - a sparing application of Proraso Green Pre-Shave to begin definitely pushed the Menthol button. Then a beautiful lather was easy to coax from the Meissner Tremonia Mint Ice Menthol using the little Shavemac brush. Very nice stuff. Then the shave itself - the second shave from a Feather blade is the "golden one". Just that bit smoother, but still v sharp indeed. The Fine Slant loved it of course and delivered a superb shave, both the experience and the result. I found the absolute sweet angle for the Fine today - turns out I had it close but not perfect. The Slant likes the handle to be a bit further from the face than most other DEs, similar to a Feather AS-D2. It will shave, and shave well if you get the angle a bit too oblique, but it's worth finding the perfect angle and sticking with it if you want to get the very best from the razor.

I finished the shave off with a generous squirt of Bvlgari Man, and chalked up another intensely enjoyable shave.

Today's big question : will the Feather manage a third high quality shave in the Fine Superlite Slant?

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Preshave: Musgo Real Glyce
Razor: iKon DLC Slant 'The Dark Knight'
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Simpsons Duke 2 Best
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Post Shave: Myrsol Formula C

The Martin de Candre continues to impress. This Duke 2 is now fully broken in and is magnificent. The Dark Knight rose to the occasion.

20160501_SOTDSBW_zps3ij6h5qq.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: ATT S1 Kronos
Blade: Ladas (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac 2-band Silvertip
Lather: Mystic Water
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

Beautiful shave today, although the blade was at its absolute end during the 4th pass - mountains of slick MW lather (pic in the lather section) and fantastic post shave feel - ready for our Adelaide meet-up (y)

Brush: Shavemac Silvertip Badger
Soap: Mike's Natural Bay Rum
Razor: Gillette NEW Long Comb
Blade: Personna Super
After-shave: Barberry Coast Bay Rum No. 29

IMG_20160501_175327416.jpg

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Sterling synthetic 22mm
Soap: Shaver Heaven - Diamonds & Pearls
Post-shave: Alum, Diamonds & Pearls Balm

Two pass shave with some clean up. This was very close to a DFS and definitely my best shave yet. The stand out for me was the soap, this is the first time I've used a soap with tallow in it and it was fantastic. I was a little worried about the scent as lavender isn't really my thing but was I wrong, I couldn't even begin to describe the scent (neither could the missus) but needless to say we both loved it, same with the balm. @Anthony has really out done himself.

Sword: Schick E-Type
Suds: Gent's #6 Olive / Omega S10108
Salve: Proraso Green

Lather enriched with olive oil, jojoba wax, glycerine and tea tree oil is so conducive to good shaves that it's almost like cheating. This is another pure KOH soap so it's very soft and loads rapidly. Could probably be tweaked to 30/70 for a little hardness but really, this soap was more a test run to see if 60% olive oil works. It does.

It gives me two passes worth of stability. I suspect it would be good for more but I'm finished by then. It's so good to shave off and the post-shave is unequalled. The lather is 'dense'. As I was saying to guys today, I no longer wet the whiskers pre-shave as the lather is so moisture laden that it's all the wetting they need.

Lather enriched with olive oil, jojoba wax, glycerine and tea tree oil is so conducive to good shaves that it's almost like cheating. This is another pure KOH soap so it's very soft and loads rapidly. Could probably be tweaked to 30/70 for a little hardness but really, this soap was more a test run to see if 60% olive oil works. It does.

It gives me two passes worth of stability. I suspect it would be good for more but I'm finished by then. It's so good to shave off and the post-shave is unequalled. The lather is 'dense'. As I was saying to guys today, I no longer wet the whiskers pre-shave as the lather is so moisture laden that it's all the wetting they need.
I'd love to try it sometime! Sounds spesh. [emoji106]

So would I - sounds like you guys are doing some amazing stuff over there ;)

@saku39 Thank you for the feedback sir! Glad you enjoyed it! Did the purple soap surprise you? Thought that would be a nice touch! Lol.

I'm away until the weekend so mine is sitting in my office till I get home on Friday. [emoji20]

I've been waiting for a review! Anyone else used it? How much different is the lanolin addition???

Last edited by a moderator:
6d7dd172882e12508db0417e357deb89.jpg

Nice shave after looking after the lil guy whilst his mum was out. This Manchurian was my first high end brush. Older style Manchurian. Like a badger mated with a boar [emoji195] super backbone and soft tips. Ps shaver heaven down the last few shaves. Summer breeze best SH hands down. Dash of menthol would really set it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.