Are these old Gillette SS worth trying?

GregP

I've been given a pack of these old Gillette Super Stainless blades - not marked as spoilers. Made in Australia, still in the cellophane wrapper. Are they worth trying, or just best kept as a display item?

Yes! Good blade

Hey - Happy shaving :)

Oh good! I'm curious what they are like, although I don't have a great deal of blades tried yet to compare to.

If they're really good, I'll have to keep the rest for special occasions :D

Oh good! I'm curious what they are like, although I don't have a great deal of blades tried yet to compare to.

If they're really good, I'll have to keep the rest for special occasions :D

There are only three in those packs by the looks of them ...

Are they the ones @Maxime D. calls Australian spoilers?

I think so - as does @Monsta_AU

Yes, they are locally-produced Gillette Super Stainless which gained the moniker of 'Aussie Spoilers', and shave 95% as well as a true Spoiler which have a far better polytetrafluoroethelyne (PTFE/Teflon) coating on them - that's pretty much the only difference.

They were produced roughly at the same time as the Gillette Super Stainless that are not marked 'The Spoiler' from a few years prior - in fact Mr-Razor puts these both at 1967 production. Very, very good blades and yes you can shave with them and I often do! I'd expect 6-8 shaves on a more agressive setting in a Fatboy or Slim, and say 8-10 on a milder setting. I prefer a 5 on my Fatboy but I suggest you go lower on first shave which helps get your angle right.

These are not the best/sharpest blades Gillette ever produced, but they are very good and in my view beats virtually all modern blades post 2000. I'd rank their English Platinums (late 70's-early 80's), and the 80's Platinum Plus blades far ahead in terms of sharpness, longevity and shave experience.

Do be careful the first shave, if you are not used to vintage you might release some claret. No pressure, watch angle etc. Second/third shave is generally the best.

Last edited:
Are they the ones @Maxime D. calls Australian spoilers?

Among the best vintage blades I've used, I use them like twice a year since mine have my birthday year & quarter (Can't waste something this rare, can I ? :D )
12225665784_fbb337576b_b.jpg

What would be a good price for a 5 pack as above? I have just seen approx 40 packs in a shop locally and could get them if anyone here is interested and if the vendor will cut a good deal

In bulk about 50c per blade is as high as I'd go.

What would be a good price for a 5 pack as above? I have just seen approx 40 packs in a shop locally and could get them if anyone here is interested and if the vendor will cut a good deal

Should've added if you do end up grabbing them I'd be happy to buy some.

Had a look in my pile of vintage blades... I have -one-!
Might have to give it a run.