Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I've got a light tent but am not really happy with getting a good background on it - bent paper, creased fabric, edges in shot etc.

I was looking at this B270 setup - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111341674857? but it is a littl $$$

Some options being considered are:
All are similar and I'm hoping will provide a better seamless and easy to keep clean and neat background.

I currently have lighting via:
  • 1 x Yongnuo YN 560 TX Manual Flash Controller
  • 3 x YongNuo YN-560 III Wireless Speedlite Flash
but am thinking of selling those and looking for some continuous studio lighting instead.

@stillshunter has been VERY helpful but I'm just thinking out aloud in this thread to get other's views - but also to possible give people ideas of options.

No thoughts oh wise ones?

Sorry, can't help you there - my setup costs in total ~30$...just learn GIMP and fix it on the computer :D

Sorry, can't help you there - my setup costs in total ~30$...just learn GIMP and fix it on the computer :D

The aim is to get it right in shot rather than fix it!

I'm thinking any of those would actually be fine to be honest :)

Ok, as I'm a tight a@@@ and worked for many years photographing products in a studio here is my suggestion.

A good size cardboard box. Probably free.
A can of white spray paint About $5:00
A visit to a fabric store to get about a metre of sheer voile curtain. About $12:00
A visit to an art supply store to get a piece of white, black and mid gray paper. About $10:00
Spray the inside of the box a few times.
Cut a good size hole for your camera in the front.
Remove the top of the box so you can clip the voile to the opening as this will provide a diffused broad light spread. If you are really keen make a removable frame for the voile to sit on the top of the box.
Work out a method to hold the paper in the box to form an infinity background. Bull dog clips work well.
Use whatever light you want directly at the top over the voile. To get different effects angle the light to the back or front of the box.
Maybe a half day project and not expensive.

Edit: If you are really keen find a local plastic manufacturer an get him to bend a piece of white perspex to fit the box. Easy to clean. Also get a couple of clear perspex piece to elevate whatever you are photographing.

Last edited:
Great tips for a DIY light box @bald as [emoji106]

...or you could just learn GIMP :D

... or you could get it right the first time @alfredus :)

Hey @bald as

Thanks for the ideas.

I have a light tent - cheapy from eBay - which works fine as a light tent BUT my struggle is getting a backdrop that is seamless and I can clean. Fabric and photographic paper gets dirty and creased etc. Getting something from the local plastic manufacturer though is a really good idea I might pursue though!

They can bend the perspex to form an infinity background. Also the advantage is you can also light it from underneath.