How many shave do you get out of per blade with a Gillette Silver Blue

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day all,

I just wanted to ask you is how many shave do you get out of per blade with a Gillette Silver Blue, my rough guess would be at least 10 IF I'm not mistaken. So this is why I'm asking you guys because I don't know.

Cheers ;)

SpeedyPC, GSB one of my favourite blades i only use them 4 times, I could probably get more use out of them but never tried you have set me a goal i will have to try and set a record don't know about 10 though.

Regards
cranky

Really, it depends upon the blade, the razor, your beard hair type and how many passes you do.
I average about 2-4 with modern and a week to a month with vintages.

Will do SpeedyPC, will use my EJ DE89 which suits the GSB perfectly always get fantastic smooth shaves with this combination.

I love my GSB's. My first 100 buy.
I toss mine after 3 shaves

If memory serves me correct, I reckon I saw it in a @shavetheman youtube video and it just stuck with me.

I'm not into stretching them out, I'm after a good shave. 3 shaves and done. Admittedly, I have very coarse stubble.

For me, it comes down to one simple question - why?

Why is it important to get the most out of one blade. If it's cost saving, then the next question is how much are you saving, and is it worth any performance hit (if any). Let's do the math.

Assumptions - shave every day (e.g. 365 shaves in one year), same # of passes every day, price per blade is consistent all year - 30c/blade, comparing 3 shaves per blade to 10.
Price per day variance would be 10c vs. 3c = 7c, which we would extrapolate over the whole year to achieve a saving of $25.55

So it really comes down to how important it is to reduce costs associated with shaving :) My point being, there's no point in pushing for an extra couple of days out of a blade really at the expense of your face or comfort.

@Korbz :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky: Smartarse :p you sound like a teacher who has enough common sense, and there are some people becoming a cheapskates wet shavers (not me :p) may want to push the GSB blade a much further ;)

Last edited:
@Korbz i totally agree

If I turf a GSB after 3 days, the math means I'm using 104 per year. I can buy 100 for $30. That's a good deal to me.

I don't see the point of dragging it out for 8,10, 20 shaves. I fail to see how you can have a good shave after a week, let alone 20+ days on 1 blade.

It's nonsense

I can get 12 decent shaves out of a Spoiler. Any more and I start to get irritation. That said it was less when I set my razor to a larger setting (more aggressive). Now I run the Fatboy at 5 and the blades do last longer - mainly as my angle is better.

Most modern blades is 4 at most. My circa 2000/2001 GBE's let me know if I go for a 5th shave very quickly. GSB's I get 4 and chuck them.

But that saving is another soap per year!
@Drubbing would be aghast to hear of such wasteful practices...

3-4 then binned for me. I've not pushed them further but I do have over 1000 of them so don't need to worry about running out.

I had my second shave tonight with a Gillette Silver Blue and I'm underwhelmed! Not a bad blade, but I can't see this one going past 3 shaves.