Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
...what is the Day of Judgement finally upon us? Phew, was getting a bit over the wait...oh well it beat the arrival of the new mythical shave store of yore, which is a shame.
I hear it's name will be Unicorn!

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage Personna Made in England blade (2)
Post-shave: Soap Commander Unscented Balm
Cologne: Penhaligon's Halfeti

If you had not heard of Beaver Woodwright join the club. This is a sample from 'Mr Suds' @SydBJW of their Limited Edition Ghost Ship soap.How does the Ghost Ship rate on the 'Smiley Scale'? I will tell you after another use but I think it will be either one of these -

(y)(y)(y) - Great soap, top shelf, a must have in your drawer
(y)(y) - Good soap, a worthy one to keep but missing something

The vintage Personna worked nicely in the Slim - although other blades seem to work better I'd suggest. It is not as smooth as some. Sticked with an unscented balm to be able to add the $64m cologne (the Pen's Halfeti) which while expensive is nice stuff.

All in all feeling pretty good this morning :)

...what is the Day of Judgement finally upon us? Phew, was getting a bit over the wait...oh well it beat the arrival of the new mythical shave store of yore, which is a shame.
DE users better get some more blades; eternity is a long time. Divide that by 4-7 shaves per blade (depending on blade/user/user milage) and @Monsta_AU might be the only one here to get through to the other end of eternity without facial growth. [emoji6]

SOTD Tuesday, Demember 1

Cold water shave
Preshave: bloom water
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Spiced Mahogony
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Face lather
Razor: George Butler, Keen 6/8

Very pleasant, sweet scent with this soap. As with all Shaver Heaven soaps, a thick & moist lather. Put my brain into gear this morning & focussed on every pass with the blade. Great shave. The George Butler is delinitely a keeper.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: Beaver Woodwright Ghost Ship
Razor: Vintage Gillette L1 Slim Adjustable (7)
Blade: Vintage Personna Made in England blade (2)
Post-shave: Soap Commander Unscented Balm
Cologne: Penhaligon's Halfeti

If you had not heard of Beaver Woodwright join the club. This is a sample from 'Mr Suds' @SydBJW of their Limited Edition Ghost Ship soap.How does the Ghost Ship rate on the 'Smiley Scale'? I will tell you after another use but I think it will be either one of these -

(y)(y)(y) - Great soap, top shelf, a must have in your drawer
(y)(y) - Good soap, a worthy one to keep but missing something

The vintage Personna worked nicely in the Slim - although other blades seem to work better I'd suggest. It is not as smooth as some. Sticked with an unscented balm to be able to add the $64m cologne (the Pen's Halfeti) which while expensive is nice stuff.

All in all feeling pretty good this morning :)

For me the Beaver Woodright Ghost Ship is a great soap, just love the scent and for any citrus lovers the Thomas Tew soap of theirs is awesome.

For me the Beaver Woodright Ghost Ship is a great soap, just love the scent and for any citrus lovers the Thomas Tew soap of theirs is awesome.

It is a great scent - not my usual but I like it. Thanks again for the sample!

20151201_082015 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 with Windrose Handle
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
Post Shave: Nivea Balm and TOBS Sandalwood AS
Three pass shave. Just a very enjoyable shave today with the strong sandalwood scent of the TOBS throughout the bathroom. Face feels tremendous.

20151201_zpszpidtwqw.png

Face Wash : Lime Menthol Glycerine Soap
Pre-Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Fine 20mm Synthetic
Soap : Martin De Candre Original
Razor : Filarmonica Sub Cero 13P
After Shave : Musgo Real No 1 Orange Amber

The Filarmonica is the new kid on the block in my small collection - I only got it last week after much hunting and deliberation. I spent a very pleasant chunk of my Sunday afternoon giving it the maiden honing, from bevel set using Shapton Glass Stones (2K/4K/8K) to finishing on Jnats (Ozuku Asagi and Mikawa Nagura progression). Nice, focussed, absorbing work with what seemed like a great result at the end - Hanging Hair Test passed with ease. So today it's the only test that really matters : how does it shave?

The Fine synthetic brush was an indirect gift from @alfredus, and I haven't used it much yet. I'd bet money that Fine bought their knots from Plisson - side by side with a Plisson I can't tell the difference, except that the Fine knot is a little smaller. Anyway, it did a super job of producing a Martin De Candre lather : the kind of lather that makes you hope you'll need the full 3 passes today.

I've been wondering for quite a while whether the Filarmonica razors are over-hyped, or if they really justify the pretty stiff price tags you see on them these days. Today's shave gave me the answer to that question : they may indeed be hyped, but deservedly so - they are oustanding straights and shave beautifully. This razor did a wonderful job and sang loudly for the whole shave. I think I would love extra hollow ground razors for the acoustic feedback alone, but they also give me a wonderful feeling of connectedness and immediacy.

Those of you who hone your own straights and Kamis (hello, @khun_diddy :)) would understand the feeling of accomplishment you get when you shave with a razor you sharpened yourself from scratch. It's really rewarding. I have to give a lot of credit and gratitude to @Mark for helping me to get to grips with the wonderful world of Japanese sharpening stones. For quite a while now I've been like the "young grasshopper" learning from the sensei. It's a skill that I may spend the rest of my life exploring, and I feel very fortunate to have had such a great teacher :)

Enough rambling. A super shave today, finished with Musgo Real's fantastic Orange Amber AS.

Happy shaving to all (y)

Razor: ATT R2
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Thater 49125/1
Soap: Mystic Water - Irish Traveller
Aftershave: Lucido

Ffgj6vu.jpg

This was my first shave with Mystic Water soap after doing a few practice lathers using the method below. I was able to get good lather in my palm but trying to recreate that on my face was a fair bit harder and I struggled to get a stable lather but it was incredibly slick. The shave went alright but I'm still dialing in this soap and I'm thinking it may be more trouble than it's worth. The Irish Traveller scent is somewhere between Cool Water and Creed's GIT.
Lucido Aftershave lotion is something new for me and It's a great product. It has a high glycerin, low alcohol content which I find less drying than other splashes and it reduces any redness on my fair skin. It's also non-scented which is great if you want to wear some other fragrance after shaving which is what I prefer to do.

SOTD:
Vintage Boker
St James of London
Custom hand turned brush by my buddy Magnus
20151201-000_3464_zpsowl8r7la.jpg
Does your buddy like challenges ?
I'm contemplating a custom handle from a material that would require resin stabilisation first.

What's your verdict on the Standard Razor? Notice that they are on Massdrop at the moment.

It's a very comfortable and smooth razor to shave with. I can comfortably go Against-The-Grain on my upper lip, which is quite rare for me. The black matte finish and minimalist design are quite appealing. Light weight compared to most of my razors so it will be the next thing that I take on my travels. So far used with Personna Med Prep and Polsilver blades.

Not as efficient as some of my other razors. Sometimes I have to go over the same spot a few times to get rid of the stubble. I'm a 2-pass shaver but this razor would require a 3rd pass if you're looking for a BBS. This is not a priority when my day consists of chilling on a beach but hopefully I can improve on this with use. Quite tricky getting to the stubble just under the nose for some strange reason that I have yet to work out.

Can this razor be a daily shaver for me? Yes. It's the comfort factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.