Review Feather AS-D2 (v Weber Polished Head)

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I've been playing with the Feather and a Feather for the last week and I figured it was time to joy down some thoughts. To add a little bit of value to the process (and some pseudo-science) I decided in doing so that I'd compare with my Weber polished head on the bulldog handle [thanks @filobiblic for reminding me to clarify this].

Firstly though the packaging on the Feather. Got to say it must be the best on any razor. Cardboard shipper around a cardboard box reminiscent of the highly lacquered Japanese style wooden boxes. Feather All Stainless razor embossed in gold on the top - very classy.

Opening it up you have a hard foam insert encasing the razor and a box of blades with an instruction manual (stamped with a serial number) in English and Japanese. Once again very classy although I don't see the serial number anywhere on the razor itself. The manufacturing of the razor, its look and feel is similarly precise - all in all very 'zen'!

Compared to the Weber the Feather is longer but thinner in the handle and a little lighter, 91g with blade compared to 100g for the Weber. The head geometry is also a little 'flatter' - I'll see if I can get a comparison pic later.

The testing will be done using my standard Personna Lab Blue test blade and I'll use both razors during each shave - alternating areas covered with each. Results of the shaves shown below.

Last edited:
Day One

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Soap/Cream: LPL
Blades: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Razors: Feather AS-D2 & Weber Polished Head
Aftershave: Mysol Antesol

Firstly as an aside - loving the LPL, great soap!

To the test, using the Feather on the left side of my face and the chin, Weber on the right side and under the nose/top lip area.

There is certainly a different feel between the two, instinctively a different angle and style of use. the extra weight in the Weber (and shorter, fatter handle) is very noticeable - it feels like it is doing more of the work itself - let the weight do all the work and all of that.

The Feather seems a little less effective with the Personna rather than a sharper blade. Post shave running my hands against the grain seems to bear that out. The Weber side of my face feels smoother, slightly but noticeable. I will focus more on technique tomorrow to see if i can improve on the result with the Feather.

Overall - I'd give today to the Weber

Day Two

Soap/Cream: B&M Roam
Blades: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Razors: Feather AS-D2 & Weber Polished Head
Aftershave: Stirling Soaps Ozark Mountain Balm

The Roam a homage to my PCTB3 friend :)

Swapped this morning with the Weber on the left side of my face and the chin, Feather on the right side and under the nose/top lip area.

The feel of the Feather is surgical and precise compared to the more 'agricultural' nature of the Weber. Paying a bit more attention with the Feather I think I addressed the problems of yesterday. Both sides of my face feel pretty much identical rubbing against the grain.

Impossible to pick a winner today - a tie.

Great idea! It will be interesting to follow your results.

The Japanese REALLY know how to do presentation and engineering well.

Compared to the Weber the Feather is longer but thinner in the handle and a little lighter, 91g with blade compared to 100g for the Weber. The head geometry is also a little 'flatter' - I'll see if I can get a comparison pic later.
Is this the Weber PH with the standard "Bulldog" handle?

The testing will be done using my standard Personna Lab Blue test blade and I'll use both razors during each shave - alternating areas covered with each. Results of the shaves shown below.
Will you use a Feather blade for a day or two? I've read some discussion about the Feather in Feather combo is a perfect match. The blades are slightly thinner I believe and fit perfectly in the razor that is designed for them.

It may be giving the AS-D2 a "home ground" advantage but it would be worth comparing...

Great idea! It will be interesting to follow your results.

The Japanese REALLY know how to do presentation and engineering well.

They do - the presentation is top class

Is this the Weber PH with the standard "Bulldog" handle?

Yes - good spot!

Will you use a Feather blade for a day or two? I've read some discussion about the Feather in Feather combo is a perfect match. The blades are slightly thinner I believe and fit perfectly in the razor that is designed for them.

It may be giving the AS-D2 a "home ground" advantage but it would be worth comparing...

Yes, after a few with the Personna. I've been using the Feather for a week with the Feather and it was a great shave ...

Day Three

Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Soaps - Barbershop
Blades: Personna Lab Blue (3)
Razors: Feather AS-D2 & Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Aftershave: Captain's Choice Cat 'o Nine Tails

Another day, another shave and another similar result!

Running my hands against the grain I'd again give it to the Weber, just, as there are some patches I've missed with the Feather. Not sure that this is entirely fair - it is my bad technique after all that is causing that - but for me the Weber produces a slightly better shave easier than the Feather.

Bottom line so far - either are great razors. If you had just one you would be happy with it. If you prefer precise - grab a Feather. If you want big and chunky - get yourself a Weber with the bulldog handle if you can. Your technique will evolve to master whichever one you use more regularly I suspect.

I'll slip in a shave with a Feather blade in both tomorrow before I head interstate for a couple of days.

Awaiting my own Feather to arrive, so I can join the cool kids and their feather parties :)

Ahh FFS, not this formatting B/S again:( Sorry all, yet a reply post is easier than trying to edit a post where the formatting jumps all over the place with no discernable pattern!
Was going to edit and advise folks to watch for eBay specials like buy x and get a vouvher or xx% off, which is how I purchased mine.

Fantastic shave off @Mark1966 - looking forward to the Feather match!

Sell it. You can buy another straight with the money... [emoji11]
Far out it's like you're reading my mind man ;)

300x300.jpg

(HE ABIDES!!!!)

...but like with like. Sale of this Japanese classic will enable another - albeit in a more vulnerable and venerable form. Have enjoyed the kamisori experience so far and would like to explore that aesthetic a little further, so next step is a traditional - non-folding, non-scaled - version.

Day Four

Soap/Cream: B&M Roam
Blades: Feather (1)
Razors: Feather AS-D2 & Weber Polished Head on Bulldog Handle
Aftershave: B&M Kyovu

Giving the Feather razor a home court advantage here!

Seriously though - Feather in a Feather = DE perfection. These two were LITERALLY made for each other.

Same routine as previously alternating sides. The Weber performed well, don't get me wrong, but it was the one with a little patchiness. The Feather performed like a charm. Japanese precision at its best. Rubbing my face against the grain I have to give today to the Feather.

Overall Conclusion

Both the Feather and Weber are great contemporary razors. Pity you cannot get the Weber heads at present as their razors represented VERY good buying.

The Feather is certainly a cut above in presentation and overall 'classiness'. Personally I prefer a slightly thicker handle but this is a great razor to use and certainly if your favour blade is the Feather - do yourself a favour and get the razor. I'm a big believer in razor/blade combinations being the key and this is right on the money.

Alternatively if are given a Weber - you have a great razor. Different feel, more chunky and less 'surgically precise' in its feel to me but I enjoy the thicker handle and the heft.

Of course the correct solution is - get both!

Great stuff, Mark. You're 100% on the money regarding the Feather blade/razor combination. They go together like peas and carrots. A great example of supreme engineering. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Massdrop has another Feather AS-D2 campaign on at the moment. That's good news for those who are contemplating an acquisition. The bad news is that Weber no longer make heads and I wouldn't be putting any money them coming back to production. Your best bet would be eBay or one of the overseas forums but expect to pay a hefty premium. 2 Weber PH's currently on eBay for $282 (plus postage $67) and $324 respectively. That's crazy money considering that they sold for $US70. A DLC version for $536 o_O You'd have to consider a brand new ATT (or maybe a Wolfman) for that kind of money.

For the record I prefer the Weber. Perhaps with patience and time things would swing to the Feather but I'm a lazy shaver.

Thanks @Mark1966 for your shave off and comments. I too echo you and @Lifes a Peach on these razors.

The bad news is that Weber no longer make heads and I wouldn't be putting any money them coming back to production. Your best bet would be eBay or one of the overseas forums but expect to pay a hefty premium. 2 Weber PH's currently on eBay for $282 (plus postage $67) and $324 respectively. That's crazy money considering that they sold for $US70. A DLC version for $536 o_O You'd have to consider a brand new ATT (or maybe a Wolfman) for that kind of money.
Yeah, if the Webers are going that high then the ATT is the way to go.

The Weber was/is a great razor for the price point. A seriously good buy. But it was never to be in the upper class of stainless steel razors. Just a great value SS razor.

@Mark1966 , great review and writeup, very well done indeed.

Just a couple of quick thoughts on what you've stated:

- I agree that it's nice that the AS-D2 comes in a great presentation box when bought brand new (definitely the best razor presentation I'm aware of as well) however, for all intents and purposes this contributes nothing to it's practical use - I know this is stating the obvious but the 'weighting' of such elements/factor would be very light/minor indeed.

- I'm strictly from the function over form school of thinking and though I've never seen an AS-D2 in person I've always felt the etched name on the head is somewhat surprising for a Japanese product & also a high quality one. The only other razors I know of that do this are much more entry level so whilst it's a personal thing I don't feel etching the razors name on the head is in keeping with it's being a 'premium' product. I also always found it looked almost mass made/cast - whereas the Weber PH (which I own) really does look like a handmade & machine turned item. Again for all intents and purposes neither of these is 'better' than the other but the Weber does look a bespoke item, whereas the Feather doesn't strike me as having that aspect.

Both of these are really, really minor points and ultimately I think most here will judge them both on how they actually perform - and I think you covered that very well indeed. The interesting thing is that originally the Weber was much cheaper than the AS-D2 (around 50%the AS-D2's price) and at the time I found it a far more attractive option however as @Lifes a Peach points out the worm has completely turned in this area (with the AS-D2 being ironically around 50% of the Weber's going price!).

They're certainly both excellent razors though as you've pointed out quite different. The As-D2 being a mass produced but very high quality stainless steel razor of mild temperament thats best matched with a very sharp blade. The Weber being a small production run bespoke item also of stainless steel thats a lil more middle of the road in temperament and works pretty well with a range of blades.

Again great review - I think most users would be very happy to have either of these in their rotation so that you have BOTH is somewhat enviable. :)

The Weber was/is a great razor for the price point. A seriously good buy. But it was never to be in the upper class of stainless steel razors. Just a great value SS razor.
I think at the time the Weber first came out for stainless steel razors there only was the Feather, a couple of Ikon's, Pils and I think that was really about it IIRC.

I think I might have been the first here to get a Weber and I remember urging people to buy one while you could as there was no way they'd stay at that price point. I wasn't to know they'd quit on making heads altogether but c'est la vie. Now it's just that the ceiling in stainless steel razors has risen - so things like the Wolfman and ATT are now around - the former being IMHO a product that is the category leader, atleast for build quality and aesthetics.

All that said the build quality on the Weber PH really is very high - I know they had some issues with the coated heads but it'd be a very tough marker who'd knock them back in this regard. I think they were really just an item sold at an unsustainably low price and now supply and demand has raised that to a level thats significantly different but doesn't that always seem to happen with good shaving products that are put out of production e.g P160, the original Polsilver SI's etc. :)

Last edited:
yes, @Lifes a Peach - current Massdrop here - not yet at $US160 aiming for $US140 if they get 15. The current market prices on the Weber PH with Bulldog handle are unreal - and not good value IMHO as @filobiblic suggests too.

Can always count on @Nick the Knife for a thoughtful contribution too :) (y)

The packaging on the Feather I agree doesn't impact shaving result and I am probably too conscious of it as it is sitting on the desk next to where I'm typing. It might come into play for gift purchases but I also concur that the name on the cap doesn't sit entirely comfortably with the premium tag.

Ditto the observations about the look of the two - the Weber more hand turned and the Feather more machine built - again though I think that this fits into the surgical precision / agricultural aesthetic I described. Neither is necessarily better.

If I recall correctly it was your enabling, sorry, encouragement that led me to get a Weber in the first place - certainly a great buy in those days and a loss to the market. The high end is well served as you note but the budget end less so.

Hard to believe Weber were selling the razor for $55 at one stage!
Am awaiting delivery of a AS-D2S.
No doubt you guys played a part in this acquisition :p