• Yes, when I notice the knot is misshapen

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No, don't think it's of any use

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • What you talking about Willis? Never heard of anyone combing a brush

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

StueyB

Used the Vie-Long blonde Horse hair brush for last nights shave and noticed while cleaning it that some of the bristles in the center look like they have tangled together. This is causing a slight hole to appear just off center as the tangled bristles are slightly shorter than the rest of the knot.

Did a bit of googling and seems this can be solved by combing the brush. Ran an old plastic comb through the know and it seemed to help a little. Might try again tonight with some conditioner to see if that helps.

Anyone else comb their brushes?

Yep, I find my Epsilon white horse hair can get a little unruly too. I have a small, gentle hairbrush that I use to keep it it nice. I also find that "fanning" the brush a lot can cause a bit of tangling etc.

Comb? Nah!!!

I do give them a cut, colour, rinse and blow dry once a fortnight though. My 'Duke' looks especially nice now it has had the foils done ...

:)

Used the Vie-Long blonde Horse hair brush for last nights shave and noticed while cleaning it that some of the bristles in the center look like they have tangled together. This is causing a slight hole to appear just off center as the tangled bristles are slightly shorter than the rest of the knot.

Did a bit of googling and seems this can be solved by combing the brush. Ran an old plastic comb through the know and it seemed to help a little. Might try again tonight with some conditioner to see if that helps.

Anyone else comb their brushes?

Can happen with the horse if you press too hard - comb it out with conditioner until the knot is perfect again. It can take a while, but you have to put in the effort. If there is still a little tangling somewhere, it will start to grow again...

Once you are done: USE LESS PRESSURE ;)

Every now and then they cop a shampoo and brushing.

I tried combing a brush a couple of time, never did anything for me. However rinsing a badger brush in wool conditioner once in a while softens them nicely.

I hate to tell all you "I shampoo my brush" people but you are talking about a bloody shaving brush. You know the thing you get soap on every time you use it. I saw one post where it was both shampoos and conditioned! What is next taking it to the bloody hairdresser? Use it rinse it and then use it again. Hope this helps :)

The only time I've washed a brush was after I had to put it in my luggage while still wet and it was a little funky when I unpacked it 8 hours later.

Wasn't so worried about the brush, more on getting rid of any germs before I rubbed it on my face.

Every few months I'll palm lather a tiny drop of dish detergent. It does a great job. I only use synths these days. I'm not sure if it'd do any damage to a natural fibre brush.