PPI Blades cheap again - new production hitting the streets

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
I am seeing 500 GSB's for approx $100 delivered..... mostly from Russian or Lithuanian sellers. They all claim 2015 production. This one caught my eye - link

Also seeing 7OC Yellows much cheaper than previous pricing.

Anyone stocking up?

Last edited:
With the vintage options, why would you ?

I spotted these a while back and had them on my watchlist. Was very tempted, despite having absolutely no need for any more blades (yeah like that rationale ever worked as a deterrent in the past!:LOL:) - however I stumbled across a thread on one of the big shaving forums where someone had bought a bunch of them from one of these ex-USSR sellers and they showed side by side photos against stock from Connaught and the blades were different in a number of ways visually.

The user perception was also that they weren't quite as sharp. There was talk of them being fakes and then also talk of them being 'rejected' authentic blades that were snuck out of the factory. That was enough to keep me on the sidelines but might be decent buying for some.

These would be new production so you would only have 2 glue dots on one side. I know that PPI has changed a few things to try and trim more costs.

I got a bunch of the GSB's and the big glue dots are still there but the blades are definitely the real deal. Sharp, smooth and just great!

The GSB are just fantastic!

Had my seventh shave from it today, which is unheard of for me!

The cheap price seller has been banned from eBay due to a personal details discrepancy (i emailed him) so I'm very very very glad I got mine when I did!

Can you spare any GSBs mate? Happy to pay a premium per 50 or 100 (if you bought 500) ;)
I love them and they're definitely on my top five...and I'm down to my last 3 blades.

There are packs reasonably cheap via ntguys, ends up about AUD$30/100 delivered. That's acceptable to me in small purchases.

If you got a 1,000 blade buy, it would be about $267 delivered, or 27c/blade. So not a massive saving.

There are packs reasonably cheap via ntguys, ends up about AUD$30/100 delivered. That's acceptable to me in small purchases.

If you got a 1,000 blade buy, it would be about $267 delivered, or 27c/blade. So not a massive saving.
Thanks RM. I'll keep a watch on them for when they're listing again. Meanwhile there's a few US sellers with good prices, just the postage kills the deal.
P.S., found them - now called ntguys_s . Also some OK deals shipping from Singapore.

Last edited:
Thanks RM. I'll keep a watch on them for when they're listing again. Meanwhile there's a few US sellers with good prices, just the postage kills the deal.
The ntguys listings are about $5 postage per 100, and it's about $4 per 100 after that. As I said, reasonable. The main thing you need to compare is the landed price of which I think it is the best available currently.

Wish the Lithuanians would come back and sell again. 500 for $100 is cheap as chips although the dollar has moved against us.

I just got 100 from ntguy_s on the bay. nice guy to deal with. 100 blades shipped in the display card.

should be landing this week. worked out to be about AUD$31 shipped, which I think is a good price. I use each blade for 3 shaves and turf it. that works out to 2 blades a week, $31 for a whole year sounds good to me.

I'm sure I read on a different forum that there are no such thing as "seconds" from the Gillette factory. they don't allow them out the door.

Also, surely there isn't enough profit to be made in counterfeit blades? A few cents a blade is hardly worth it. But then, I wouldn't know.

Happy to post pics once they arrive for any comparison/review.

@Monsta_AU

can you give us a list of what comes out of PPI?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I read on a different forum that there are no such thing as "seconds" from the Gillette factory. they don't allow them out the door.

Also, surely there isn't enough profit to be made in counterfeit blades? A few cents a blade is hardly worth it. But then, I wouldn't know.
That doesn't mean that someone puts them aside at the factory and then takes them away 'to be disposed' and they end up on eBay.

As for counterfeiting blades, if you think a couple of cents a blade is not a good profit margin then you don't understand manufacturing volumes. Most of the time these blades are produced for well less than a cent and then sold to middlemen at 3-4 cents per blade. The counterfeiters themselves can make margins of around 1000% on these.

Much of the time now in China, you can source product made in the same factory as the real thing, as they just keep the lines going and retain it for themselves to sell on various online marketplaces. That's how the 'cheap' iPhone parts make their way to market - the managers or owners of the factory produce extra and sell them at a higher profit than selling to Apple.

@Monsta_AU can you give us a list of what comes out of PPI?

It's a long list. Anything Gillette branded outside the 7OC Blacks and the other Indian blades, plus Astra SP & SS, PermaSharp Super, Super Iridium & Polsilver brands are made there.

Last edited:
If you have seen the documentaries on fake eggs, or gutter oil in China you will know that some people will stoop to whatever means are necessary to make an extra cent.