Best camera to take to Europe in September

WOOT WOOT!!!

I have a Canon GX7 on the way - with MANY thanks to @stillshunter who pointed out that eBay have a 20% off tech sale from selected retailers :) Looks like I owe you an IGP ...

Links to sale items are as follows:
Sony RX100 II (prices range from $528 Kogan import to $639 Teds full retail)
Canon G7x (prices range from $511 Kogan import to $639 Bing Lee full retail)

Alternatively if you want a refurbished Sony Rx100 III they are available from GraysOnline eBay store for $590 after the additional 20%.

Might be time to go shopping @eggbert :)

Now time to get a memory card and possibly a spare battery ...

Facing the same decision - I have a Pentax DSLR and an Olympus stylus. In July off to the UK and Canada (thanks to my wife 20 years of superannuation contributions) :)

Well it seems we have done all the hard work for you! Trip sounds very cool too.

Although by next year there will be new models, 'better' deals etc etc etc (GST only refunded under TRS for purchases within 60 days of departure too BTW)

Facing the same decision - I have a Pentax DSLR and an Olympus stylus. In July off to the UK and Canada (thanks to my wife 20 years of superannuation contributions) :)
Let me know if you need a hand negotiating the rough terrain and thick vegetation of the camera jungle, always happy to help a mate.

Thanks @stillshunter - think I will just take what I have.
"The best camera is the one that's with you."
Chase Jarvis

...but if you ever do need any advice or that little push into blowing some cash on camera gear then you know my PM mate.

We have a dslr but never use it. I'm not a huge photo taker but wifebert is. However she has just realised I can't (won't) carry both of them as they are too heavy so we need to think about something else.
Tempted to sell the canon 600D and get something much smaller but don't know what is it there.

Mate here's an indication of the market for the 600D. Unfortunately it's still languishing, so I assume this is still pitched juts a little too rich.

Package 1:
-Canon 600D (6xxx shutter count)
-canon 18-55 mm
-Canon 55-250mm
-Box (with manuals, cables etc)
-Battery Grip
-Spare Battery (maybe 2 if i can find the other one)
-8gb Sandisk extremeplus SD card 80mb/s
Bought aug 2014, but has extended 5 yr warranty with JB Hifi (have all receipts )

Res:$400
instant: $500

This is where you need to make a call as to whether it's worth more to you than what you'd get for it. I never think of cameras in terms of "what they owe me". That's a fiction....well except for my vintage gear which continues to appreciate.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with that. Yes we would have lost close to 50%, but it's useless sitting in the cupboard doing nothing

Well then mate...
url39.jpg

September 12 - 24

CBR - SYD - LHR (via DXB)
2 nights there

Eurostar to Brussels
2 nights there

Train through Brussels and Germany to CPH
5 nights there (inc conference for me)

CPH - LHR - SYD (via DXB) - CBR

with my wife and sans enfants!

Am I keen? Oh yeah :)

How about you?

We will just overlap a day or two in London. PM me if you're keen for a pint somewhere. Or we could even visit some of the shaving shops on the Monday (13th).

I fly in to London on the 6th, then fly to Spain on the 14th.

Well then mate...
url39.jpg

You always manage to find THE most disturbing images ...

We will just overlap a day or two in London. PM me if you're keen for a pint somewhere. Or we could even visit some of the shaving shops on the Monday (13th).

I fly in to London on the 6th, then fly to Spain on the 14th.

I've done all the shaving shops when I was there by myself last year. This year I will have Mrs Mark1966 so I think I will be tied up the couple of days I'm there.

You MUST do Jermyn Street and that area - although probably only to window shop ...

In other news - all the worlds websites can STOP feeding me adverts for cameras now ...

Finally got wifebert to agree to sell, except now she doesn't want to sell the sdcard that comes with it!

Finally got wifebert to agree to sell, except now she doesn't want to sell the sdcard that comes with it!
Congrats.
Most don't sell their memory cards. Most buyers already have some anyway.

I doubt the compact cameras use sdcards, or do they?

It seems the ones recommended earlier do!

Most cameras nowadays, esp. compacts, use SD cards. If your wife's dSLR used a CF card then I'd recommend bundling that into the deal. They are faster, but bigger and not use much any more except in pro SLRs (they seem to be the Beta, while the SDs like VHS)

OK, camera sold. Now to find some deals at the $500 mark or thereabouts

Shame this didn't happen when the 20% what same was on, mind you.

Shame I left my camera at home by mistake (missing out on the GST refund on the way out of Australia too BTW)

After not having had a chance to look at it beforehand I thought I should familiarise myself before I left so had a play the morning we left. it is still sitting there on the desk as far as I know....

Hmmm, maybe I should sell a lightly used camera - still in warranty .... (Actually I can't - was a Fathers Day gift)