VPN

gthomas04

...was Drubbing's first. AKA Captain Tightarse
Any of you Techo types running a VPN. I am thinking of setting one up in preparation for the 30th October cutover to the new blocking policy. Not that I have ANY intention of downloading copyright software - just for the privacy aspects. (of course I would be interested in knowing how well something like utorrennt runs for downloading public domain stuff).

Thanks

Any of you Techo types running a VPN. I am thinking of setting one up in preparation for the 30th October cutover to the new blocking policy. Not that I have ANY intention of downloading copyright software - just for the privacy aspects. (of course I would be interested in knowing how well something like utorrennt runs for downloading public domain stuff).

Thanks
huh?? What dialect are you jibbering?

I'm running with nordvpn. They had a special on a groupbuy site recently which worked out to roughly aud$50 for 2 years.
Still not using it as often as I should and haven't got it set up at the router level yet.

There are apps for windows, Mac, android and iPhone, even BlackBerry I think

What's happening 30 Oct?

I purchased two small dedicated servers in France for those requirements. Only cost me 2 euros per month per box. Any data transfers are then done via SFTP to home.

As for the block, it depends how the ISP does it. DNS cache poisoning (make the domains return 0.0.0.0) is easy to fix. Point DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - the only IP addresses you will ever need to remember. If they block traffic to particular domains, most of that will be defeatable by moving to HTTPS.

Anything else a VPN will definitely fix. Again, a small VPS with a provider offshore will fix that - $10 to $20 per year and then run a setup script on the Linux OS and then point your VPN to it.

If you want everything to go via VPN then you will see a big slowdown unless you have a higher-end router or use a separate VPN device to encrypt. You also have to deal with increased latencies to local sites as you are sending the data to the other end, then it has to come back, then reply back to the VPN gateway, then back to you.

Torrenting over VPN's is horrible. You need to reduce your connections to less than 20, ideally 2 active torrents at any time....

I have no idea what any of this is about. Should I be worried ?

I purchased two small dedicated servers in France for those requirements. Only cost me 2 euros per month per box. Any data transfers are then done via SFTP to home.

As for the block, it depends how the ISP does it. DNS cache poisoning (make the domains return 0.0.0.0) is easy to fix. Point DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - the only IP addresses you will ever need to remember. If they block traffic to particular domains, most of that will be defeatable by moving to HTTPS.

Anything else a VPN will definitely fix. Again, a small VPS with a provider offshore will fix that - $10 to $20 per year and then run a setup script on the Linux OS and then point your VPN to it.

If you want everything to go via VPN then you will see a big slowdown unless you have a higher-end router or use a separate VPN device to encrypt. You also have to deal with increased latencies to local sites as you are sending the data to the other end, then it has to come back, then reply back to the VPN gateway, then back to you.

Torrenting over VPN's is horrible. You need to reduce your connections to less than 20, ideally 2 active torrents at any time....
Another one that speaks some foreign dialect.

I have no idea what any of this is about. Should I be worried ?
Yes @Mark1966 you should always be worried.:) In a nutshell, companies like Village Roadshow etc have persuaded our leading political parties that they could increase their donations to said parties if only they could stop the vast financial haemorrhaging that was occurring due to illicit downloads. At the scent of money, both mainstream parties rolled onto their backs to have their tummies scratched and we now have a law in place that as of the 30th October the movie and record companies can force ISPs to block access from Australia to any site that they believe may allow for said downloads to occur. And of course we can all be thankful for our political masters saving us from our own baser instincts.

If you wanted to be safe for your 'Linux distro' DL's VPNs are a very imprecise way to go plus come with a bunch of other ongoing PITAs. It's a slight learning curve BUT switch to acquiring your distros via Usenet and you've much safer & won't suffer from the speed issues of torrents via VPN etc. Just made the switch myself after several years of considering and no brainer for the more popular content (e.g the stuff that will be cracked down on) - torrents are good for less easy to obtain/obscure stuff that doesn't have copyright issues (or atleast less obvious stuff).

Are you breaking the first rule of Usenet NtK?

Thanks

Good god GT! Where the hell did you get all that from? There must be more to you than the pill popping, grumpy old SE/DE user we all know.

Are you breaking the first rule of Usenet NtK?
Apparently yes - it's quite amazing how much that Fight Club reference is used when talking about Usenet. In my defence considering the esteemed company I felt it somewhat acceptable. But I'll revert to the 2nd rule now, which is as any good movie buff knows to refer back to the 1st rule. :)