Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Hoar
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (4)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & êShave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Face lathered with the Hoar again today. Kept the brush quite dry while loading and managed to keep as much lather on my face as ended up around the sink. Must be getting better at this.

Thursday 2 July 2015

205622d1435844281-sun-june-28th-sat-july-04th-sotd-02072015.jpg

Traveling with the Last Mastro Livi New Grind

It is the beginning of July and I am on the road again. For this trip I decided to bring with me a very rare piece of history about straight razors: the last new grind Mastro Livi razor, the one which ended the glorious era of these worldwide famous Mastro Livi razors and of which I filmed the making. I also brought with me my new shaving soap because I want to test it with different waters and brushes. I want to see whether this shaving soap I made is capable of the amazing performance I had at home. Well, it confirmed all of its amazing qualities and I will continue using it until the end of this trip. And this last Mastro Livi New Grind will certainly be the very best companion I could dream of for this test.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Optim'Hom Synthetic J 082
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "The Last New Grind", 6/8 Half Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla

.....Razor GEM Jewel....This razor is so different to any SE I've shaved with. I do need to re jig my technique a bit because of the weight.
I am getting amazing close whisker free face after one pass. I admit to being sceptical but this razor certainly lives up to the hype...........

And now finally a fellow Streamline/Jewel user too! And I didn't even have to lend him mine. He buckled all by himself! There's no hype. The build quality and finish on these things is amazing.

The build quality and the precision of the razor is great. The Streamline/Jewel holds a blade so rigid. There are many "ifs" in shaving but if I had purchased the Streamline/Jewel as my first razor and if I could handle the initial aggression I would only have one SE razor. Well maybe two or ........ !!

Steve

The build quality and the precision of the razor is great. The Streamline/Jewel holds a blade so rigid. There are many "ifs" in shaving but if I had purchased the Streamline/Jewel as my first razor and if I could handle the initial aggression I would only have one SE razor. Well maybe two or ........ !!

Steve
I've just seen the exact same set for $60 in an Antique centre here in Sydney. If anyone is keen, I can send the details to you...

Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush Vie-Long Hoar
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (5)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan Oil

Lovely start to Friday. Bowl lathered with the Hoar and kept the sink much cleaner today. The La Brune WS is still going strong after 5 shaves - smooth as silk.
Scent on the Latha is maturing a bit, has lost the medicinal quality it originally had.

I've just seen the exact same set for $60 in an Antique centre here in Sydney. If anyone is keen, I can send the details to you...

Now he tells us! I think I paid something upwards of $90 for mine and that was just the razor in a nice bakelite case. That would be a few years ago now too.

Grab it for yourself !
I'm happy to point anyone in the direction. They are open 7 days a week and you could call ahead and ask them to put it to one side. [emoji6]

Four and a half days of growth to cut through today. First time in the last 12 months I have missed a day shaving (apart from 3-4) since I started with my straight 12 months ago and through that introduced to DE shaving. Shaving has been something I've looked forward to each day but I've been on a week off and my wife has kept me hopping (well walking actually-every day/plus going places) while I'm supposed to be doing major work on her car. The best laid plans of mice and men ... ... ... where does that saying come from??? Mice and men???

Anyway - the shave.

No prep - cold water
Bush: Body Shop synth
Soap: Dr Jon's Classic
Razor: Dovo SS 5/8 Straight
Aftershave: none - shave is so good I'm just enjoying the "clean" feel

I received the Dr Jon's Classic from @Nonick . This is a soft, soft soap. I had an interesting issue with my lather setup. I used this soap and synth for the 3 days before my "shave sabbatical" finishing what was in my bowl this afternoon. I find that the synth forms a lather in the bowl better than face lathering, especially with this Dr Jon's Classic croap. I find I have to keep adding water to get a good shave lather which is much better to control and judge in the bowl than face lathering. The synth just keeps pumping out lather in the bowl. Is bowl lathering easier because of material construction (synthetic Vs badger which I haven't tried on this soap but produces a great face lather normally), the ability to watch & monitor the water added to a bowl lather or just this croap makes loading a brush more difficult to load the synth preparing for a face lather? (This croap sits in the brush in clumps - next time I try this croap it may be worthwhile moistening the soap in the tub first to allow an easier load ... ... ... next time). The variables presented require further "controlled" testing and any helpful input by the knowledgeable members on this site.

Bowl lather was excellent. I could detect woody/earthy scents (vetiver) and citrus. Really liked the scent. Four and a half days growth required 2 x first passes WTG. This was followed by my usual XTG and ATG with a cleanup of the trouble spots on my neck. A great shave all round.

I find I have to keep adding water to get a good shave lather which is much better to control and judge in the bowl than face lathering. The synth just keeps pumping out lather in the bowl. Is bowl lathering easier because of material construction (synthetic Vs badger which I haven't tried on this soap but produces a great face lather normally), the ability to watch & monitor the water added to a bowl lather or just this croap makes loading a brush more difficult to load the synth preparing for a face lather? (This croap sits in the brush in clumps - next time I try this croap it may be worthwhile moistening the soap in the tub first to allow an easier load ... ... ... next time). The variables presented require further "controlled" testing and any helpful input by the knowledgeable members on this site.
I think no matter how dry you run your brush and add water as you go to build up lather, on the face any spillage (which seems inevitable) makes it onto the chest, basin, feet or floor, while in the bowl everything ends up in the bowl. There is no escape. The bowl is a more contained and easier controlled environment. Add to this that I think most decent soaps/creams like a bit more water than we realise and, again, so the unseen water in the knot mixes in the lather without making itself known - rather than as it is in orbit around the bathroom during facial lathering.. I personally find face lathering far more satisfying but harder to get right. I do find myself, more often than not, running with a drier lather than I should built on my face....which I find more noticeable when using the straight. Again probably entirely contrary to everyone's else experience and theories but that seems to be how Planet Stillshunter spins.

20150703_SOTDS_zpsc4lzr2fa.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Cream: Esbjerg Grapefruit
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

This is the first cream, that performs like a soap - and I love it. I have tried many creams, that provided the desired glide, but never one, which gave a dense yoghurty goodness, necessary for a great cushion - but Esbjerg delivers! And for the non-believers:

PaladinChief_EsbjergGFS_zps5hyrm7gn.jpg

The blades are nice and sharp, but not as smooth as I like. Somehow remind me of Astras, not sure why...all in all a beautiful shave!

Four and a half days of growth to cut through today. First time in the last 12 months I have missed a day shaving (apart from 3-4) since I started with my straight 12 months ago and through that introduced to DE shaving. Shaving has been something I've looked forward to each day but I've been on a week off and my wife has kept me hopping (well walking actually-every day/plus going places) while I'm supposed to be doing major work on her car. The best laid plans of mice and men ... ... ... where does that saying come from??? Mice and men???

Anyway - the shave.

No prep - cold water
Soap: Dr Jon's Classic
Aftershave: none - shave is so good I'm just enjoying the "clean" feel

I received the Dr Jon's Classic from @Nonick . This is a soft, soft soap. I had an interesting issue with my lather setup. I used this soap and synth for the 3 days before my "shave sabbatical" finishing what was in my bowl this afternoon. I find that the synth forms a lather in the bowl better than face lathering, especially with this Dr Jon's Classic croap. I find I have to keep adding water to get a good shave lather which is much better to control and judge in the bowl than face lathering. The synth just keeps pumping out lather in the bowl. Is bowl lathering easier because of material construction (synthetic Vs badger which I haven't tried on this soap but produces a great face lather normally), the ability to watch & monitor the water added to a bowl lather or just this croap makes loading a brush more difficult to load the synth preparing for a face lather? (This croap sits in the brush in clumps - next time I try this croap it may be worthwhile moistening the soap in the tub first to allow an easier load ... ... ... next time). The variables presented require further "controlled" testing and any helpful input by the knowledgeable members on this site.

Bowl lather was excellent. I could detect woody/earthy scents (vetiver) and citrus. Really liked the scent. Four and a half days growth required 2 x first passes WTG. This was followed by my usual XTG and ATG with a cleanup of the trouble spots on my neck. A great shave all round.
Just another thought on the synth Vs badger. My badger is more a ball shape with the synth a fan shape & the loft/height of the synth's fan is in the region of 15-20mm higher than the badger. Could this be another reason for the badger appearing to excel in face lathering and the synth in a bowl. I am only musing as I have not performed any controlled/objective testing.

No prep - cold water
Soap: JGS TMBR
Aftershave: none - shave is so good I'm just enjoying the "clean" feel and the whiskey/timber scent from this soap. Just keeps wafting up to my nostrils.

Bowl lather with the synth again this morning, preparing the soap with a few drops of water while I stropped my razor. Superb lather; Plenty of, yoghurty, ample protection. Straight performed well again with only a 2 pass shave but I can feel a bit of stubble on my neck where I didn't do my usual problem area tidy-up. No aftershave this morning as the scent from the Johnny GoodSir soap is the best scent and just keeps wafting up to my nostrils.

Status
Not open for further replies.