Modern versus Vintage

I just bought 75 Gillette rubies from the early 1970s for around $30, delivered from Europe. That isn't much more than you would be paying for some current production blades, and much cheaper than you could buy anything at the local supermarket.

Last edited:
..........My own personal view is that I missed the boat from a value perspective. From what I read above I could have purchased these blades for as cheap as chips years ago. That would have made the longevity to price ratio a lot more palatable. At today's prices vintage blades last 3 times longer (may be more) but cost 2 to 10x more. But as @Pjotr just pointed out - bargains can still be found. I was just curious why they were highly sought after.
In any case the mystery behind the love of vintage blades has been made well clear.........

If you can engage a few others and formulate a cunning plan to buy in large quantities, the price/blade will go down considerably. You've just got to be sure that the blade you're buying is the blade you want. For instance not all vintage Wilkies are good or in any way stand out. Schick Plus Platinum are a slam dunk in my book and so are the Gillette Super Stainless (with or without "Spoiler" splashed across the front). Good luck with that and if you need a few more to try out I'm happy to send them to you. Shit, that bit of blatant enabling goes against all the SLAPper rules.

Thanks @Pjotr. Once I get back to the DE's I load a Schik and see how it goes. I might call on your generous offer [emoji4]