Show us your straights

borked

Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat
Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Ok, time for the straights to come out and shine in the limelight.
Guess I'll start this thing off...

Warning, mine shined too brightly for a camera phone on auto settings and overexposed, yet will give an updated idea of what I've been hiding and acquiring in the wild and as gifts/inherited from family.

cGeYO4g.jpg

Dovo Carre New
Dorko NOS
Bengal
Wade & Butcher NOS
Smith & Wesson New
Dovo BIsmark New
Dirlant

The scales on the swcond last one are amazing.
For the greater audience, can you list their make and model ?

Last edited:
@HereForTheEdge
Such a beautiful collection! Well done on the mods and restores. [emoji106]
What equipment do you need and use (both for modifying blades and creating scales)?

Regarding creating a new blade: I know of a forge just south of Canberra but no where else. I'm assuming there must be a few around.

@HereForTheEdge
Such a beautiful collection! Well done on the mods and restores. [emoji106]
What equipment do you need and use (both for modifying blades and creating scales)?

Regarding creating a new blade: I know of a forge just south of Canberra but no where else. I'm assuming there must be a few around.

Scales, is mostly scroll saw, drill, and sanding most of that by hand.
Modding is mostly dremel, and a cup of ice water, the blade needs to be kept cool enough to touch as not to lose temper, hardness.

Scales, is mostly scroll saw, drill, and sanding most of that by hand.
Modding is mostly dremel, and a cup of ice water, the blade needs to be kept cool enough to touch as not to lose temper, hardness.
Thanks mate! Most helpful as I really had no idea. The photos are great. Seems straight forward enough...

Hardly even looks used!

almost looks like for making your own scales from wood using old fence posts or lumps of seasoned firewood with all the interesting burls and cracks in them would make for much more interesting scale patterns then boring old class A cabinetry timber

Spent part of the lovely weekend we had down here outside trying to clean up the Hoshitombo 6000 that just arrived

Before
BVjxTyB.jpg

After
hHjtAoW.jpg

Still needs some more work but quite happy with the progress. Hopefully I can get ti finished this week and send it off to get honed.
Then I'll need to get to work on the next piece - I think this will be a bit more work
6kOaeWl.jpg

Then I can buy a strop and learn how to use them

Nice work @StueyB! The Hoshi certainly looks to be coming along well - did you do all of that by hand so far? If you're interested in mechanising some of the process, give me a hoy mate.

The Kikuboshi looks like quite a challenge if you don't plan on removing the scales :(

Thanks @Draco Noir. Yep all by hand so far. Started with 120 grit wet and dry paper and worked my way up to 1200 grit (the highest that Bunnings has). Wanted to get some 2000 grip from Repco but left it too late yesterday and they were already closed.

Going to take the scales off the Kikuboshi. There is a name scratched into the scales on the opposite side from the one in the photo that I want to try to get out if possible.

Thanks @Draco Noir. Yep all by hand so far. Started with 120 grit wet and dry paper and worked my way up to 1200 grit (the highest that Bunnings has). Wanted to get some 2000 grip from Repco but left it too late yesterday and they were already closed.

Going to take the scales off the Kikuboshi. There is a name scratched into the scales on the opposite side from the one in the photo that I want to try to get out if possible.

might be an idea to look in your yellowpages and see if there are any shops that sell spray painting supplies aswell. has been a while but i know there used to be upto 3200/4000 grit wet n dry made by 3M for spray painters so you could go even smoother for a higher shine on the metal. and if your not planning on replacing the scales maybe one of these would help for getting at the metal in between them http://promotorcarproducts.com/sandingpen.htm/

Thanks for the tip @PapaDooks. I'll try my Google-fu tomorrow and see if there are any spray paint suppliers near by, we do have a couple of body shops around here