Scuttles

I have to admit I used a bowl for the first few weeks of wetshaving, then realised how superfluous it is.

A scuttle is a nice bit of kit to look at but completely pointless for me. A sink with a plug, a bit of warm water, face lather, brush is loaded and I get two good passes out of it.

I haven't used or needed a bowl to hold lather for a few years.

I can understand the compulsion to have every single bit of kit possible though. I think my bowl is sitting in the study with a few razors gathering dust.

@Mark1966 married and to a woman?
Wow, you've got it all going on, haven't you ?

....how do you figure "living and working in Canberra" into the equation mate. It's a pretty significant minus...
Is it not obvious?
His move there from Sydney increased the intellience quotient of both cities, thus a significant positive for all involved :)

@HGpottery

Did your original Moss scuttle have the right sized opening for a cork? The photo here appears to be a good size for a cork.

Also, you mentioned that you have different types/kinds of scuttles. Would you please elaborate and perhaps give photos of each?

On your website you have two:
Quantum (in different sizes)
Emerson

The main difference appears that the Emerson can fit a cork/plug. Is this correct?

Apart from a brief statement for the Emerson scuttle (11 cm inner bowl and 5 cm depth) you have no dimensions listed on your website for your scuttles. Do you have a comparison photo of the sizes between your two kinds?

Also, didn't you used to make a Moss scuttle or is this referring to the style of your scuttles?

Thanks! I apologise bombarding you with so many Q's.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, limbering up my fingers to type:

Did your original Moss scuttle have the right sized opening for a cork? The photo here appears to be a good size for a cork.
Mr. Emerson, for whom I made this larger scuttle, asked for a larger interior, shallower and wanted it to be something like the MOSS scuttle he's had for a while.
The hole for the cork is 1.5cm wide and I have now sourced rubber, longer, stronger "corks" from a rubber supplier (even two colours, burgundy and black).

Also, you mentioned that you have different types/kinds of scuttles. Would you please elaborate and perhaps give photos of each?
HG "Quantum" Scuttle:
- has a shallow inner bowl, 9.5cm across, with vertical and spiral grooves.
- holds approx. 200ml of boiling water in the mug under the inner bowl
- a small cup fits soap and holds the shaving brush
- also the small cup fits upside down, inside the inner bowl, reducing the soap drying out
- comfortable handle and easy filling/pouring spout.
The pricing is $65 for the HG "Quantum" Scuttle + Postage within Australia $18 includes tracking number.

HG "Emerson" Scuttle 11cm inner bowl with plug
$85 + $18 postage

- 11cm wide inner bowl and 5cm deep
- Plug hole

http://www.hgpotteryaustralia.com/hg-scuttles.php

On your website you have two:
Quantum (in different sizes)
Emerson

The main difference appears that the Emerson can fit a cork/plug. Is this correct?
The "Emerson" bowl is 11cm wide and 5cm deep
versus the "Quantum" at 9.5cm across and 6cm deep
Both have the small 'cup' for shaving brush to rest and soap.

Apart from a brief statement for the Emerson scuttle (11 cm inner bowl and 5 cm depth) you have no dimensions listed on your website for your scuttles. Do you have a comparison photo of the sizes between your two kinds?
HG%20%20Emerson%20%20plug.jpg.opt410x265o0%2C0s410x265.jpg

HG "Emerson" scuttle $85 (my very first customer, Mr. Emerson inspired this design, 5 years ago)
HG%20Quantum%20Scuttle%20b.jpg
hg-quantum-scuttle.jpg

HG "Quantum" Scuttle $65 (actually named after a Quantum Scientist in Canberra 5 years ago)

Comparison:
HG%20x3%20scuttles%20compare.jpg.opt281x375o0%2C0s281x375.jpg
Some clients have specific requirements!
The photo of the Green+Cream and Blue+White are "Quantum" 9.5cm wide
The Blue+Cream (upper right) is 11cm wide and 6cm deep, close to the "Emerson" size.

.... and how about a Greek Style?
Fun and Challenging!
HG%20greek.jpg.opt295x221o0%2C0s295x221.jpg

It's an artisan thing.
I like my job, ART !

I teach and create for my local community.
When it's my passion, it feels great!

Also, didn't you used to make a Moss scuttle or is this referring to the style of your scuttles?

The "Moss Scuttle" refers to the name a potters' client Dr. Moss.

Thank you for your questions, and it's no trouble.
If you would like to see more styles and colours, visit:
http://www.hgpotteryaustralia.com/

Thanks for the helpful reply.

It is here at last, my long awaited adventure away!
I will be back 2nd October 2015, Orders and emails will be looked at daily.

Thank you for your interest and orders will be filled once I return. HG Pottery
Wow enjoy Helena. Have a ball!

Niiiiiice! Just scored a used HG scuttle and it is the perfect antidote to this current Antarctic snap....