Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and Myer. Scheduled for around 2018 here I think.

Oops bot.

Fatboy, omega, polsilver, glacial obsidian, floid.

Nice!

Oh and Myer. Scheduled for around 2018 here I think.
That's a shocker (not that you need them) - thought they would be everywhere!

Razor: Parker 90r
Blade: Voskhod
Brush: Mühle 091 M 89
Cream: Fauldings
Aftershave:
Proraso Green

This was my first run with a Parker. As mentioned previously, it was kindly PIF'd by a guy from YKW. It is comically mild - easily the mildest shaver I've ever used. It still does the job though and it was pretty comfortable to use. The long heavy handle is superb as far as ergonomics goes.

There's a good reason you don't see many Parker 90r fanboys around. It's not a very exciting razor. I've definitely used worse though.

Brush: Vintage Boots the Chemist, re knotted with Shavemac Finest
Razor: Aristocrat Jnr
Blade: English Gillette Platinum (4)
Soap: Boots
A/S: Aqua Velva + 444

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: Wickhams Super Smooth Dandyism
Razor: Phoenix Double Open Comb
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

A very quick shave was needed today so skipped the straight and used the Phoenix DOC. Two passes, splash of Violets scented Myrsol, and out the door.

First time in ages really nervous before tomorrow's shave - have khun_diddy's R41 on loan...

First time in ages really nervous before tomorrow's shave - have khun_diddy's R41 on loan...
Remember a light touch... [emoji6]
If you don't post in SOTD within 24 hours we'll call Triple Zero... [emoji14]

Brush: Vintage Boots the Chemist, re knotted with Shavemac Finest
Razor: Aristocrat Jnr
Blade: English Gillette Platinum (4)
Soap: Boots
A/S: Aqua Velva + 444
How do you find the Boots soap ?
I've a few vintage sticks I'm yet to use.

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: Wickhams Super Smooth Dandyism
Razor: Phoenix Double Open Comb
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

A very quick shave was needed today so skipped the straight and used the Phoenix DOC. Two passes, splash of Violets scented Myrsol, and out the door.
Opinion upon the P-DOC ?

Nice knowing you.

Sunday 19 April 2015

198998d1429457960-sun-april-19th-sat-april-25th-sotd-19042015.jpg

Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake Razor, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point

A magnificent snake shave! My new Mastro Livi Snake Razor is absolutely amazing. A breathtaking stunning beauty made of CarboInox Steel with a very keep and super sharp edge, giving the very best shave ever. I love this CarboInox pattern: Mastro Livi Twisted Damascus Steel in the external layers of the San Mai, stainless steel in the middle layer. Not to mention the artistic touch of blue carbon damascus dots inserted in the stainless steel, giving a beautiful and stunning effect: simply a sign of the endless genius of Mastro Livi, a proof of superior craftsmanship and art. I also used Mastro Livi badger brush, his well known loom strop and the excellent Martin De Candre soap, then a generous splash of my RazorGuy Bay Rum: simply the perfect way to inaugurate my new, exclusive and unique Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake Razor. I love this razor!​
  • Pre-Shave: Roberts Distilled Rose Water
  • Soap: Martin De Candre
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger, Makassar Ebony Handle, 26mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox Snake Razor, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Brush: Thater 49125
Soap: MdC 'scented'
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (1)
Post-shave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Started out a little scratchy - not sure if it was the new blade or the MdC lather being on a little thick - as I'm still getting my head around face lathering. Irrespective by the second pass all was very, very very good again. Ready for a shitty Monday.

PAA Cavendish, Simpson's Chubby 2 Best, Tech (40s) with Weber Classic handle, PolSilver SI (3), Soap Commander Integrity ASB.

Well, since @stillshunter won't shut up about his AS-D2, and since it was said that a fat handle tech is a similar approximation, I decided to give it a go this morning.

The last two mornings I have shaved with the r41. Surprisingly my face is in pretty good shape - no permenant nicks or any lasting irritation, which is a complement to the r41. However I was keen for something a little different, as it requires so much concentration, and I don't feel like I can really get super close on the tricky spots as I'm already raw as it is by the end of the second pass.

Well, the tech was night and day from the r41. I couldn't feel the blade at all, and this thing is MILD. However, to my surprise it was still really efficient. Although it felt like there was no blade, there was also no stubble left behind either. Maybe it is because it holds the blade so tight there is no flex at all, but it's normal for me to be able to feel some slight resistance by the hairs, but not with this. The hairs come off like they are made of butter. Yes, I probably needed to do more touch ups than with other razors, as unless the razor angle is perfect and your face very flat, it won't cut at all and just leave a smear of lather behind. But there was absolutely ZERO irritation too, so I felt like I could do 8 passes and still be feeling less raw than the second pass with the r41.

The result? The smoothest and most irritation free shave I have had in ages.

@stillshunter, you may continue your evangelism.

Just to let all of youze know that SE shaving is not dead on this site. Although I don't use SE as much, but every time I do I wonder why I don't (use it more that is). Decided it's laziness and the relatively safe, carefree shave afforded by DE. SE is always a bit edgy and requires a lot more concentration particularly on the first shave with a new GEM blade. The noise is almost off putting because if a DE blade would make that much racket you'd be chucking it after half a stroke. Sorry about the lack of a picture. As is well known, I'm an IT retard and judging by the recent questions on how to download pictures I'm not even going to try. In any case who, after seeing Razorguys insane blades in particular, wants to see a plastic razor side by side with one of my weird looking re-knots and a bottle of Nivea after shave balm. The gear:

Wee Scot: It's not too small, other brushes are just too big.
Body Shop Macca Root: Decided that my huge stash of this stuff is the next target for an entry in the finished product sticky. As it's easily available it's the only shaving product my family gives me. It's also incredibly efficient so the product sticky entry might have to wait for 6 months.
Ever Ready Featherweight: My go to razor for the first shave with a new blade. Light and relatively speaking on the mild side of the SE family of razors.
GEM SS: Always scarily sharp on the first shave.

Where are all you SE shavers?
When I needed you last Saturday
You're all resting up in Cornwall
Writing up your memoirs
For a paperback edition
Of the boy scouts manual.

Sorry, just listened to Jethro Tulls Thick as Brick.

Last edited:
Semogue 830
Trumpers Almond shave cream - Discovered a sample pack of various Trumper creams and skin foods i had forgotten about. Good stuff function-wise but not my scent
Merkur 34C
Blade- unknown. Felt pretty schlick though...will take a look next time around.
Speick ASB

Getting my eye back in. Much prefer the Merkur to the Rocket HD I must admit. A few more goes with the 34C and I'll get back to making acquaintence with the Futur.

Just to let all of youze know that SE shaving is not dead on this site. Although I don't use SE as much, but every time I do I wonder why I don't (use it more that is). Decided it's laziness and the relatively safe, carefree shave afforded by DE. SE is always a bit edgy and requires a lot more concentration particularly on the first shave with a new GEM blade. The noise is almost off putting because if a DE blade would make that much racket you'd be chucking it after half a stroke. Sorry about the lack of a picture. As is well known, I'm an IT retard and judging by the recent questions on how to download pictures I'm not even going to try. In any case who, after seeing Razorguys insane blades in particular, wants to see a plastic razor side by side with one of my weird looking re-knots and a bottle of Nivea after shave balm. The gear:

Wee Scot: It's not too small, other brushes are just too big.
Body Shop Macca Root: Decided that my huge stash of this stuff is the next target for an entry in the finished product sticky. As it's easily available it's the only shaving product my family gives me. It's also incredibly efficient so the product sticky entry might have to wait for 6 months.
Ever Ready Featherweight: My go to razor for the first shave with a new blade. Light and relatively speaking on the mild side of the SE family of razors.
GEM SS: Always scarily sharp on the first shave.

Where are all you SE shavers?
When I needed you last Saturday
You're all resting up in Cornwall
Writing up your memoirs
For a paperback edition
Of the boy scouts manual.

Sorry, just listened to Jethro Tulls Thick as Brick.

Would be joining you @Pjotr but herself tidied away the Gem Junior and I am not keen on having a first SE shave with anything else. It means TM shaving has been in abeyance for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.