My Journey on the Straight Path

A question: I want to know how those with a straight razor shave the day or two after they've made a small nick or cut themselves?
I like to shave twice daily. Can get away with one but prefer the smooth face/feel and really enjoy the whole wet shave experience and show, so twice daily it is. I was using a DE each morning and straight each night but with all the straight talk going on here recently I've been back to 2 x straights per day since Easter Friday. I'll probably be sending the DE to a mate for the next few weeks to try and "open his eyes" to proper shaving.

Back to straights and the question posed.

Even if I nick myself, by the next shave if I make sure my angle is correct, the skin has healed enough to shave as per usual.

If I try to shave over a cut I've only just inflicted (the same/current shave) I find the wound still fresh and the swelling or incision still has the skin raised and will most likely cause further/deeper incision on that location. Great care is taken to work around the perimeter of but close to a fresh cut.

I don't find nicks/cuts a drama. Just be careful when revisiting that area and it will be good.

Thanks @Dale.Whiley and @Mark - I have found it healed almost fully by the next day. I took it careful over the spot and it was fine. [emoji106]

@stillshunter and @eggbert Good one! I plan to shave with the ERR tomorrow. I won't be giving it up that easily!

Shave 13
One pass WTG over the full face. Sharp and smooth.

I caught up with @Mark today and he pointed out a few different ways to hold a straight and angles to use. I look forward to trying them out to see if it further improves my shaves. It's amazing how many different ways you can hold a cut-throat razor and how even small adjustments can make a big difference. (So I'm thankful for having others around to help and for the many videos to provide visual techniques.)

Have been watching/reading intently, it's got me considering giving shaving with a straight a try...damn you.

Now to start looking for a razor and strop for me to start out with.

Have been watching/reading intently, it's got me considering giving shaving with a straight a try...damn you.

Now to start looking for a razor and strop for me to start out with.
Plenty of fun. [emoji6] Flirting with danger the way great-grandad used to shave.

@Mark sold me the Good Dollar for $35 (comes with pouch and a free re-hone). It's been great to start with and I'm not worried if I drop & break . Also, if I didn't want to continue then it's a minimal investment.

To start you just need a razor and strop. @Mark sometimes sells strops for around the $30 mark...

I did the same. My left handed grip is slightly different to the right. I take a bit of soap off my a fingertip left-handed.

I do actually find that under the nose for me is easier left-handed though. Not sure why. Maybe it is something to do with the stropping of the blade?

Otherwise, I have been using left, right, under-hand and Japanese grips... depending on where on my face I am shaving.

Shave 14
One pass WTG on the whole face with one lather.

When you're still as slow as I am with a single pass, you really test the quality of the lather. I must say that lather with higher water retention (ie it takes in more water) tends to last longer and remain slicker for longer. It's obvious really when you think about it, but it's these small details that sometimes get missed.

That's very good @filobiblic. It sounds like your beginner stages are coming to an end. I had the same experience with straight shaving, I found that the lather was slicker when it wasn't as pasty, very helpful when using straights, since then I've kept that consistency of my lather whether I'm shaving with a straight, DE, SE, Kamisori or a spoon. ( I don't really use a spoon).
Speaking of which I just honed 4 straights and a Kamisori, about to have a shave, just gotta find enough real estate (on my face) to test shave them all. Not doing a SOTD photo either, that would look very silly. LOL

That's very good @filobiblic. It sounds like your beginner stages are coming to an end. I had the same experience with straight shaving, I found that the lather was slicker when it wasn't as pasty, very helpful when using straights, since then I've kept that consistency of my lather whether I'm shaving with a straight, DE, SE, Kamisori or a spoon. ( I don't really use a spoon).
Speaking of which I just honed 4 straights and a Kamisori, about to have a shave, just gotta find enough real estate (on my face) to test shave them all. Not doing a SOTD photo either, that would look very silly. LOL
Speak to me of this honed spoon...

Forget SOTD for this matter, Let's try HOTD (hone of the day) lol.
Bevel set - chosera 1k
Midrange work - Okudo Tomae with Mikawa Naguras (range from 3-10k)
Finish - Ozuku Asagi (approx 20-30k)

HOTD_zpsqldpnsu1.jpg