Four of the finest!

khun_diddy

diddy_arko!
State Rep - SA
I had a very enjoyable meet up today with three other Adelaide shave nutters including @alfredus. Here's some of the booty I have to sample...

pf5YGTA.jpg

L-R: vintage Merkur slant, Aristocrat, #66, V1 Stealth Slant.

I'm particularly excited as I've never used a slant before and now I get to try two of the best ones ever made.

Also got to see alf's Wolfman - drool central!

(y)

Always great to meet up!

pf5YGTA.jpg

Merkur 37c is not vintage. It's a Zamac with chrome bling is a dead give away...
I also think the Aristocrat and #66 are in the other order... The knurling on the #66 handle is beautiful and its Rhodium played which give it the extra zing!

Edit: Is it an Aristocrat as well? It looks like a Parat (German version of the Rocket)... But I'm not good at these things. Where's @Mark1966 ? Oh, studying...

Haha, yeh, we need some Mark help here.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a modern Merkur although it did come in an oldschool plastic box quite different from the modern Merkur packaging.

Yes, I have those mixed up I think. Should be #66 on left.

Who knows?

Fantastic meet up today and indeed some beautiful razors on display!

Only problem is, I'll have a sleepless night as I have a R41 on loan and am really nervous about using it :D

Always great to meet up!

Merkur 37c is not vintage. It's a Zamac with chrome bling is a dead give away...
I also think the Aristocrat and #66 are in the other order... The knurling on the #66 handle is beautiful and its Rhodium played which give it the extra zing!

Edit: Is it an Aristocrat as well? It looks like a Parat (German version of the Rocket)... But I'm not good at these things. Where's @Mark1966 ? Oh, studying...
IIRC the Parat has the same thickness upon the bottom twist knob as the body of the handle, where the rockets are thicker.
Of course the Gillette Museum Curator can correct me if wrong.
'Gillette Museum Curator' would make an awesome custom title for @Mark1966 actually :)

I had a very enjoyable meet up today with three other Adelaide shave nutters including @alfredus. Here's some of the booty I have to sample...

pf5YGTA.jpg

OK it is a little hard to be certain from one picture but to me it looks like ( L-R)

Vintage Merkur slant - they used to be made in brass and my guess this is one of those older ones not the more modern 37C

Gillette British Aristocrat #66, a lovely rhodium plated razor

Gillette British #58, part Rocket HD and part Aristocrat, on the border between the two. A lovely razor sometimes in aluminium.

RazorRock Stealth Slant - really, what a pretentious name ...

@filobiblic - the normal Rockets (and the Parat) have a thinner handle than the #58 or the Rocket HD. They and the HD have the common knurling and the #58 has this distinctive knurling.

@borked - yes the Parat knob is the same size as the handle

@khun_diddy - the vintage Merkur slants did come in a plastic/bakelite box - very cool!

Yay I am right :D
Goes to show folks here actually digest what you share with us @Mark1966 .

OK it is a little hard to be certain from one picture but to me it looks like ( L-R)

Vintage Merkur slant - they used to be made in brass and my guess this is one of those older ones not the more modern 37C

Gillette British Aristocrat #66, a lovely rhodium plated razor

Gillette British #58, part Rocket HD and part Aristocrat, on the border between the two. A lovely razor sometimes in aluminium.

RazorRock Stealth Slant - really, what a pretentious name ...

@filobiblic - the normal Rockets (and the Parat) have a thinner handle than the #58 or the Rocket HD. They and the HD have the common knurling and the #58 has this distinctive knurling.

@borked - yes the Parat knob is the same size as the handle

@khun_diddy - the vintage Merkur slants did come in a plastic/bakelite box - very cool!
Thanks @Mark1966 - you're such an asset!

Nice set of razors to shave with @khun_diddy [emoji106] Lets hope you have a decent amount of time to shave with them.

I just had my first encounter with the Razorock Stealth Slant. Holy mother of God, this is a superb razor! I'm ultra-reluctant to make huge claims after just one shave, but yeh, this razor is special. The way it cut the whiskers going up on my neck was really incredible. The comfort level is something I haven't experienced with other razors. I don't know what was more impressive - the comfort or the efficiency.

@alfredus is a world class enabler - first he's got me buying 500 Voskhods and now he's surely set me off on a slant addiction.

I just had my first encounter with the Razorock Stealth Slant. Holy mother of God, this is a superb razor! I'm ultra-reluctant to make huge claims after just one shave, but yeh, this razor is special. The way it cut the whiskers going up on my neck was really incredible. The comfort level is something I haven't experienced with other razors. I don't know what was more impressive - the comfort or the efficiency.

@alfredus is a world class enabler - first he's got me buying 500 Voskhods and now he's surely set me off on a slant addiction.
Glad you like it - how did you go under the nose?

Glad you like it - how did you go under the nose?

As you say, it requires a modified technique. It did get all the whiskers though. Same goes for cutting the sideburns. The only other point against it is that is made of unobtainium. Other than that it is all positive.

It is a stupidly good razor.

There should be a new batch released soon...just check his instagram, it will give you at least a ballpark and then F5 until the early morning hours :D

There should be a new batch released soon...just check his instagram, it will give you at least a ballpark and then F5 until the early morning hours :D
No guarantee of a razor at the end though.

If @khun_diddy wants one, he will get one ;)

I could have gotten every version (had them all in my shopping cart) - and I did not use any software...

If @khun_diddy wants one, he will get one ;)

I could have gotten every version (had them all in my shopping cart) - and I did not use any software...
I'm not saying he could end up with one, I said there is no guarantee that he will end up with one.

Most of the guys who end up with one don't use software. That's not the issue. It's just a horrible business model. I think everyone agrees with that. It's just how badly do you want one means how much effort you'll go to get one. That's all.

@alfredus - how does the Instagram trick you mentioned above work? The only way I've ever managed to get one of these unobtainable type razors was sheer dumb luck. An even slightly more scientific approach would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks (y)

@khun_diddy, I'd be very interested indeed to hear your ongoing opinion of the Stealth Slant as you continue using it. It's been on my high interest list for some time, and your initial thoughts certainly made me sit up and take notice.

Maybe you can be a world-class enabler too ;)

@alfredus - how does the Instagram trick you mentioned above work? The only way I've ever managed to get one of these unobtainable type razors was sheer dumb luck. An even slightly more scientific approach would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks (y)
Usually Joe posts on Instagram the date the razor will go on sale...then it is just a matter of having a decent internet connection, observing the time difference to Canadan and hitting F5. That's it.