Luxury brush care

Guess why your brush no longer smells like the funky thing it does new ?
Perhaps it'd due to a build-up of soap lather coating the bristles/hairs ?

Soap scum definitely builds up on the hairs, but there is no way that that is why the funky smell fades, otherwise a good clean would bring the smell back!

I've noticed a partial rerurn after a thorough clean, might be me though. ..

I know that this brush cleaning soap isn't hugely expensive, but soap scum can be removed easily with stuff that you already own. A really light palm lather with either dish soap or shampoo has worked for me, followed by a diluted rinse with vinegar and water at a 1:4 ratio. Rinse thoroughly, and let it dry. If any vinegar smell lingers, rinse it again with water and lather with something pungent like Arko.

Just thought I'd chuck in my two cents for the budget minded. If you rinse your brushes thoroughly and have a couple to rotate, I really don't think soap build up is going to be too much of a problem.

For the sake of debate, I'll pose a question. Do you think that the softening of tips after using the Da Vinci soap is a result of the soap itself, or just additional use breaking in the bristles?

I know that this brush cleaning soap isn't hugely expensive, but soap scum can be removed easily with stuff that you already own. A really light palm lather with either dish soap or shampoo has worked for me, followed by a diluted rinse with vinegar and water at a 1:4 ratio. Rinse thoroughly, and let it dry. If any vinegar smell lingers, rinse it again with water and lather with something pungent like Arko.

Just thought I'd chuck in my two cents for the budget minded. If you rinse your brushes thoroughly and have a couple to rotate, I really don't think soap build up is going to be too much of a problem.

For the sake of debate, I'll pose a question. Do you think that the softening of tips after using the Da Vinci soap is a result of the soap itself, or just additional use breaking in the bristles?

I just think the da Vinci soap is extra gentle and the hair seems more smooth after you rinse it out. It's also really quick to use as I believe it formulated to lather up very quickly.

It's certainly an interesting concept, and from a business perspective, probably a good marketing move too. Are there any details on ingredients? I do wonder what might be in there that can have a softening effect.

Gotta say…not much different from regular shave soap ingredients.

Detergent will do just as good a job. it's what most people use to wash a new brush out.

Gotta say…not much different from regular shave soap ingredients.

Detergent will do just as good a job. it's what most people use to wash a new brush out.

I think detergent would be much more potent and I believe it's ph neutral as it doesn't leave any soap scum.

The main point is whichever you do it , keeping a clean brush is great for the knots longevity.

FWIW if soap scum build up in your brushes is a problem I know that citric acid is often incorporated into soap by home soapmakers to counter scum build up - as it's a very good chelator. Hence you should be able to make a very weak citric acid solution and dunk/swish you brushes in it to very effectively remove any soap scum build up. I'd recommend rinsing well with plain water after to ensure that the weak acid doesn't remain in your brush and possibly have negative affects. In theory that should be more effective than a commercial detergent etc as it'll be a very specific tool for the job.