Open Combs

So this morning I tried a three pass shave with the R41.

I think @Nightguard 's new avatar is very appropriate.

The good news is most of my blood is still in my body. The third pass was very uncomfortable, a lot of tugging and scraping sensations. Left my face feeling like expanded metal. Yes it's very smooth but it's so sensitive any benefit of less stubble is outweighed by the missing layer of epidermis.

I'm reminded of a mine I worked at once where they had just cleared the trees, and then started the beginning of the pit by taking away the topsoil. Face shovel, I think they called it!

NtK when using my straight I never attempted ATG either, so maybe I'm just a wimp. With the long blade and handle it's extremely awkward to get certain places like the neck ATG. The R41 would be easier to handle technique wise, as any DE would be.

I'll be right back after I change my neck bandages

Yeah I've found the R41 likes a nice sharp blade. That sensation of tugging from an R41 is wholly unpleasant - feels like the frustrated claws of a hungry marmoset. Looks innocuous enough but not something you want free around your face.

Once I'm done with my current vintage RAW (Razor A Week) I'm looking very forward to loading a Feather into my old (2013) R41.

Goes better with a nice new Astra Green!

Is that THE 2013 R41?

Fearsome

Now folks how does the Fatip go?

I have been eying off this as a companion to the R41. Is it more mild? (I like open combs, but something a little more daily friendly)

Does it fit the normal 3 piece thread?

I't a very good price compared to the German counter parts.

I have been eying off this as a companion to the R41. Is it more mild? (I like open combs, but something a little more daily friendly)

My, you are a chip of the shoulder... Your OC Master @stillshunter just lent me his Fatip Piccolo. I hope to use it tomorrow.
But I'm sure he'll answer your questions and may even lend it to you for a trial... [emoji6]

Great! Don't spare the detail on your sotd write up filo! After the slant got a bollacking I'll be expecting a frank appraisal of its abilities!

Another interesting one is Maggards MR1 razor (cheap $20 razor from China with a SS handle - bargain- not OC though)

Also the Merkur 15C which is another class of finish of course (but the MR1 is $38 landed, unless you stock up on soaps, and the 15C is $45 from Mensbiz)

I, too, can't wait for @filobiblic appraisal. But we cannot forget the ol' YMMV thang. Filo's face might be a little different to yours - and different to mine.....especially if he says anything bad about my Fatip! But seriously why not grab this local offering while it's still available. Only difference between the Fatips is the handle. See for yourself for little risk.....great price and @Nightguard is a far, far better seller than any CONUS store by a country mile!

Thanks Stills, I had forgotten about that post. I'll have to talk to this man!

Observation -

The Merkur 15C is $45 at Mensbiz and $64 at Shavershut :eek:

Thanks Stills, I had forgotten about that post. I'll have to talk to this man!

Observation -

The Merkur 15C is $45 at Mensbiz and $64 at Shavershut :eek:
The Shave Shed has the 15c for less than $45 - with their 20% off closing down sale...and I think another 10% using "B&BOFF10" discount code. But the Fatip is half that price again...and with the Fatip we are talking a man's razor as opposed to the Lady Merkur ;) (seriously though the 15c is purported to be quite mild....not a virtue I'm a fan of in an OC)

The Shave Shed has the 15c for less than $45 - with their 20% off closing down sale...and I think another 10% using "B&BOFF10" discount code. But the Fatip is half that price again...and with the Fatip we are talking a man's razor as opposed to the Lady Merkur ;) (seriously though the 15c is purported to be quite mild....not a virtue I'm a fan of in an OC)

I'm glad you made this suggestion Stills, still getting a bit used to it, but liking it more each shave.

I'm alive. Just got a lot of family related life issues at the moment.
Good to see you are still around, and good luck with real life. I can empathise somewhat with our new addition sucking away what little time free time I used to have to live a life.

I'm alive. Just got a lot of family related life issues at the moment.
Hang in there mate. We'll still be a shavin' over here. All the best with taking care of the important people in your life. [emoji4]

Hang in there mate. We'll still be a shavin' over here. All the best with taking care of the important people in your life. [emoji4]
Good to see you are still around, and good luck with real life. I can empathise somewhat with our new addition sucking away what little time free time I used to have to live a life.
Thanks guys. I have to make a mercy dash home to Darwin next week to see mum, she is quite ill.
As a result my head is all over the place at the moment.

Ahh, you've visited Skid Row the bus stop outside Woolies before?

Yep, I've handed out the contents of my pockets in that area in the past. Charming part of the world. God's Own Country....

I heard your first reply!

And you want to convince me to sell the ERR?