Site moved - now hosted in LA

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
Guys;

You may have noticed a small downtime today. I locked up the site and moved it to a new server in LA rather than Seattle.

You should see a small improvement is latency and also speed - our new server has vastly superior specifications... 2GB of RAM instead of 1, and 4 CPU cores instead of only 2.

There should be no major issues with things, although there is likely going to be some DNS weirdness for about an hour or so, especially on the images I was hosting as I will need to wait for the DNS records to time out from there.

Any seen issues - please post them here.

-Monsta

Hosted in LA?

Does this mean we can get aftershaves and colognes posted to the server site and they can come down the P&C wires to our PCs?

That is how this Internet thing works isn't it?

[Thanks for all your hard work on this site mate]

Nah, doesn't quite work like that.

Our previous provider - RamNode, who I like as they do an awesome job - is opening a new LA location soon and I was hoping to move our VPS from Seattle. Unfortunately they cannot do that, and we would basically have to buy a new service in order to move. Since I have signed up, they made some changes including the removal of the 45% off coupon which is recurring on each their plans. This means I would go back to paying full price of around $14/mo for the hosting.

I have fired up a VPS with another provider, and grabbed some extra IP addresses. cPanel was a very fast install so the performance seems pretty good thus far.

I also have a backup VPS in LA with a different provider, but in the same datacentre which I will likely use for other purposes. It runs a different hosting panel which is free.

Sorry did you say something?

All I heard was gibberish :)

Actually I switched off when you popped my dream about the A/S and colognes :(

Virtual Private Server.

Anyway, finally got IPv6 up and running but I am seeing massive latency on it on Internode, iiNet and related companies. I have a support ticket in to see if we can fix it.

Virtual Private Server.

Anyway, finally got IPv6 up and running but I am seeing massive latency on it on Internode, iiNet and related companies. I have a support ticket in to see if we can fix it.

Bet it feels good to finally get the IPv6 up and running! Looking forward to the IPv7 though

Guys;

You may have noticed a small downtime today. I locked up the site and moved it to a new server in LA rather than Seattle.

You should see a small improvement is latency and also speed - our new server has vastly superior specifications... 2GB of RAM instead of 1, and 4 CPU cores instead of only 2.

There should be no major issues with things, although there is likely going to be some DNS weirdness for about an hour or so, especially on the images I was hosting as I will need to wait for the DNS records to time out from there.

Any seen issues - please post them here.

-Monsta
I don't seem to be able to post photos now via tapa talk. Tells me I don't have permission.

Correct. We have adjusted a permission to only allow linking, not uploading.

I don't seem to be able to post photos now via tapa talk. Tells me I don't have permission.
Use free services like Imgur or Flickr. It means all your photos will be in one place and this site remains free for a longer time.

I have not attempted post any images as yet. Instead of Imgur or Flicker, can I link from my existing Dropbox aacount?
No harm that I can see in trying :)
Even a sub thread at the bottom of the forums where you can try things out iirc.

I have not attempted post any images as yet. Instead of Imgur or Flicker, can I link from my existing Dropbox aacount?
Yes, you can. But the images must be in (or moved into) the Public folder. Then you can copy the link to the photo and post it here.

And when you delete the the photos on flicker or drop box will the link then fail here and this will show for ever as a broken link.

Would it be better to allow uploads but have them downside to reduce bandwidth?

Assuming that you actually delete them. While I realise that the whole Flickr/Dropbox link may actually change (you move your files on dropbox to a competitor service), the benefits of not allowing it outweigh the disadvantages.

The issue is that it then consumes disk space and also database space (thumbnails) when you attach an image. This makes it far more difficult to backup the database and send it offsite. The database itself is currently about 200MB but compresses down ok. Then you also have to get all the images which is about another 500MB and they do not compress well as JPG's and PNGs are already compressed.

I then need to backup the entire account (Files, databases, email) and copy that archive offsite, and I also download a weekly copy to home for another location of the data. Downloading every day is just too hard & takes too much bandwidth.

Other sites like OCAU have had the 'no attachment' rule for a long time as it simply makes the databases much too large an unwieldy. Now we are not at the thread or post count of OCAU, but one day we may be.

Generally, they do provide an image upload service via UGbox or even Imgur. I suggest that you take advantage of one of them, unless you want to host it on your own website and let it load from there. As I mentioned, I will likely be granting an FTP account to those that donate, and they can upload all their files there and link to them that way.

Flickr give you 1 TB (terabyte = 1000 GB) for FREE. Don't tell me you will start deleting photos now...

Google Drive also give you a serious amount of space for free, Dropbox can give you 2GB free. Just sign up with an aliased/forwarded email and put the photos in the Public folder in that account. Easy.

For extra on Dropbox, install Carousel & Mailbox - run them both once and you'll get an extra heap of gigs on your Dropbox account (2GB & 1GB respectively I think it is)

Once you claim your free extras you can uninstall both - hurrah!