Razorock Stealth - my 2 cents worth

Lifes a Peach

...or a mango. But definitely a fruit.
2016 Sabbatical
Charity Auction Team
Roughly in April of this year, Joseph Abbatangelo from ItalianBarber.com released a batch of 100 prototype slant razors made from anodized aluminium. According to his website this project was inspired by a german vintage slant razor. The razors from this first batch were sold for $50. A review of this razor popped up on YouTube and it immediately got my attention, but I wasn't the only one. By this time version 1 prototypes had sold out. Some had ended up on eBay and were sold for over $300. In May Joe announced that he would have another batch ready, "in about 4 weeks" with a matching stand. The craze to get one had shifted up a fear gears.

There were some delays but and some guys foaming at the mouth but fast forward to about October and new releases of the prototype started flowing, albeit at a slow pace. By late November I managed to get one in my cart AND pay for it before stocks ran out yet again. A week prior I had one in my cart but they sold out before I had a chance to input my credit card. Mine is a version 3 of the prototype. Joseph also released a small batch of a stainless steel model. @alfredus has a nice collection and more knowledgable than me to comment on the differences between each version.

The razor is certain a funky looking thing. It's a featherweight coming in at about 40 grams on my scales. It's a 3 piece that comes in 2 colours - Black or Clear (Kiyara). Mine, without a stand set me back $US75. Postage would have been an additional $US30, but I used shipito.com to get it to me for $US6.

IMG_1058_zps737dbe33.jpg

Now for the shave.

This morning was my 3rd shave with the Stealth. Loaded with my favourite Personna Med Prep blade. With high expectations that my stubble would just melt off the moment aluminium and blade touched my face, I ended up a bit disappointed. Mind you I was very disappointed when I used my Weber for the first time but that all changed after a week of use and it quickly became a favourite.

So what didn't do it for me? I find that the razor drags a bit on certain parts of my face; a feeling of a lather with no slickness. The optimum cutting angle has a very narrow range and easily lost. There is very little audio feedback from the cutting making me wonder if its doing anything at all. It needs vigorous shaking in water to rinse the lather lodged in the narrow blade gap. Some bending and lifting of the nose to get to the hard to reach spots. It's too mild for my liking, but some guys may feel that this is a positive. The use of this razor reminds me a lot of the Feather ASD2 that @Young Buck loaned me. It's all about getting the angle just right. This is proving to be frustrating after years of using razors that are not so fussy.

What's good about it? I really dig the unique look and jet black colour. The inspiration for it's name probably came from the Stealth Jet Fighter? The handle knurling is quite grippy, even with lather smeared fingers. It does an excellent job of clearing whiskers under my neck, ATG. For some reason I nail the angle just right when performing this pass.

Many moons ago Alfredus and I were corresponding on another forum about some razors. His enthusiasm for slants, and the Stealth in particular was intoxicating. Remembering this exchange of messages I will persist with this razor until things click. Well I hope they click. At least until the replacement top-cap for my Mongoose arrives. I'll update this thread every so often with the happenings.

I like others here are curious about this beast, so will be intrigued to see your updates, as thus far, I'm seeing little to enable me.

@Young Buck loves his Feather ASD2 so I will ask him to give this one a go and provide his thoughts. About a month ago I borrowed it and to me the experience parallels with this razor. With the exception of weight and looks of course.

Thank you, Thank you! Finally an unbiased and balanced opinion of this razor. Jeez, you only have to travel 12,000kms west to escape the hype vortex.

Yeah this one is not for me as I don't get on with mild razors. Even judging by the photos I've seen, I was always concerned about the blade gap on this razor - one thing I never ever, ever, ever, want to return to is the nightmare from cartridge shaving of banging the shit out of my razor against a vanity to clear that gap. Hated it! Also, @Lifes a Peach if you like the stealth black might I suggest trying out the Standard in black aluminium. She's a beaut - very smooth and efficient razor…maybe do a swap with @filobiblic as I am returning his very soon. He might even trade you as I believe he's keen to try this stealth slant business.

You're a good man, Stillsy. Filo and I have organised a test drive in the New Year when I get back from my holidays. Always good to get opinions from others.

I've got a beautiful Gillette NEW Short Comb on it's way. I reckon this baby is right up your alley. You're welcome to try it out.

Great review as always and as always such a good example of YMMV...
I totally get it, if you are a fan if heavy and aggressive razors, that the slant won't be for you and I also agree, that it takes some practice to do the nose area with the large head.
Having said that: once you get the unique technique of it (try forget about ALMOST everything about no pressure, right angle, etc), you will have the easiest DFS+ shave of your life. If you aim only for BBS - its too much work with this one, if you want a good effortless shave, try for another ~10 days and report back.

You're a good man, Stillsy. Filo and I have organised a test drive in the New Year when I get back from my holidays. Always good to get opinions from others.

I've got a beautiful Gillette NEW Short Comb on it's way. I reckon this baby is right up your alley. You're welcome to try it out.
Goes to show that men can share desirable things in our lives ;)

Having said that: once you get the unique technique of it (try forget about ALMOST everything about no pressure, right angle, etc), you will have the easiest DFS+ shave of your life. If you aim only for BBS - its too much work with this one, if you want a good effortless shave, try for another ~10 days and report back.

What so the RR Slant demands pressure…like a cart...hmmm…that can't be good if you use anything else in rotation or desperation. It took me many months to wean myself off.

Great review as always and as always such a good example of YMMV...

Totally agree, mate. The RR requires a different touch and I don't mind a challenge. The hype that engulfed this razor set very high expectations. Your opinion is highly valued so persistence will pay off.

Day #5

5 shaves with the Stealth and things are are improving. This mornings effort was the best one so far so I must be adjusting to the quirks that this razor requires. Lots whiskers just below my nostrils was a sign of how tricky it is to get under under the nose. Some drag still remains but it's gradually tampering off with every use. Two easy passes with no dramas.

What so the RR Slant demands pressure…like a cart...hmmm…that can't be good if you use anything else in rotation or desperation. It took me many months to wean myself off.
Not like a cart - it's just a very light razor so your zero pressure with a stainless steels results in negative pressure with the slant. The DLC is a zero pressure razor...

Day #5

5 shaves with the Stealth and things are are improving. This mornings effort was the best one so far so I must be adjusting to the quirks that this razor requires. Lots whiskers just below my nostrils was a sign of how tricky it is to get under under the nose. Some drag still remains but it's gradually tampering off with every use. Two easy passes with no dramas.
Glad to hear. Another thing about the lather sticking to the razor: although this is my only razor that would almost tempt me to do a water only shave, it is the razor that showed me perfect lather. If your lather is perfect, it won't stick, but if you like to overload your brush like I do, but then don't use enough water...I know it is strange but maybe try Marco's method?

I know it is strange but maybe try Marco's method?
Not strange, merely sacrilege on this forum. La, La, La, La. We do not mention such deviants here. This is the small paradise apart from them and their worship. There is the Drubbing Way or the Thomas Method take your pick - though they are not mutually exclusive. Mate I fear you're in for a short ban (lucky you'll be shown leniency as a newbie), but we'll be here waiting for you when you get back. No worries.

Then again, the drubbing way and the Thomas method couldn't be more polar.
1 brush, 1 razor, 1 soap, 1 blade - ever vs 2 razors, 2 blades and 2 of anything else he has handy per shave.

I think @alfredus is safe.

Last edited:
Then again, the driving way and the Thomas method couldn't be more polar.
1 brush, 1 razor, 1 soap, 1 blade - ever vs 2 razors, 2 blades and 2 of anything else he has handy per shave.

I think @alfredus is safe.
No the Drubbing Way involves an anti-Marco lathering technique. Dryish brush with no thought to counting swirls or mind for which direction to move your brush. I believe the austerity with gear is simply a consequence of getting so proficient that there is no need for the distraction of anything more than a tried-and-tried non-rotation. Have I sort of got this right @Drubbing ?

Not like a cart - it's just a very light razor so your zero pressure with a stainless steels results in negative pressure with the slant. The DLC is a zero pressure razor...

Glad to hear. Another thing about the lather sticking to the razor: although this is my only razor that would almost tempt me to do a water only shave, it is the razor that showed me perfect lather. If your lather is perfect, it won't stick, but if you like to overload your brush like I do, but then don't use enough water...I know it is strange but maybe try Marco's method?

@alfredus is on the money. The lather needs to be just right. Coincidentally the lathering instructions that comes with RR Captain Choice soap is similar to Marco's method. Soaking wet brush, no shaking of excess water, and load for 1 minute. I loaded with the container upside down. Bowl lathered. I don't think it's the exact Marco method but close enough. No clogging of the razor and a damn fine shave.

Now into my 6th shave with this funky beast and it's getting better with each shave. However, for the face of the Peach, the performance does not match the hype. It's obvious to me that the buzz is proportional to the difficulty of getting one. It's very smooth but not close for a 2-pass shaver like myself. It does a great job under the neck but requires some tricky maneuvers under the nose. It's horses for courses so I totally get why Alfredus thinks very highly of it. Having said all this the Stealth will stay in my rotation because I've grown a little attached to it. I'll squeeze every improvement that I can get out of it.

It's now been handed over to @Young Buck for a week. @filobiblic will give it a burl in Feb. I'm looking forward to their thoughts.

That's very generous of you! Although I think you should have gone for a couple more shaves in a row to have it all perfect...but then you might have never given it up again ;)

9237a63143e43479c951a9f266ad94fb.jpg

The Razorock Stealth Slant, a highly sought after razor that I was lucky enough to obtain on loan. Having used the razor now for a good 10+ shaves I thought I would share my opinion of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good:

- The razor head design ensures the entire length of the blade is concealed by the safety bar. Those who have used the Merkur 37C would know that the far edge of the blade is suspended freely above the safety bar. This potentially could cause a nasty cut if not handled properly.
- The handle design has a lot of grip. I found myself able to twirl this razor in my fingertips.
- Being a slant bar razor heavy stubble is no match for the slicing action.
- The DLC coating made it easy to keep the razor clean and free of soap scum.

The bad:

- The large sweeping head used to conceal the blade also meant maneuvering the razor in tight spots was sometimes problematic. Continued practice would certainly help here.
- The cutting angle is very shallow, coupled with the large head and again hard it was sometimes hard to get a close shave in all crevices of the face without performing multiple touchups.
- Whilst I appreciate the light weight of the handle I wish the razor was more weighted towards the head. For me what feels like a 50:50 distribution means the razor feels vague in the hand and doesn’t lean in towards the face.
- The light weight head also meant some additional pressure was required in order to make the razor glide along the skin without skipping. Using the wrong angle won’t cut you but it may lead to irritation if you are running the blade along the skin.

b3d0a625881252130ce25d7e447aa126.jpg

As stated I used this razor over the course of the week and a bit as my daily razor. At the beginning I found it a little difficult to get a close shave as the cutting angle on this razor is unlike any other I have tried. The handle must be held very close to the face somewhere in the region of say 20-25 degrees. Once I found it however it didn’t present to much of a difficulty until you get to places like the lip area and the lower jaw, that said however upwards pass on the neck felt right at home using this angle.

The razor head has a large relatively flat cutting face which conceals the blade nicely. That said this makes the razor head somewhat less slippery albeit the DLC coating. In use coupled with the light weight head it made it somewhat difficult to make the razor glide across tight areas due to the amount contact the razor head has with the skin; making it want to stick rather than move. This led me to applying more pressure in these tight spots. Whilst at the end of my test this didn’t lead to any negative effects at the beginning I was getting some irritation.

In summary if you a DFS type shaver then it is very good. You get the efficiency of a slant with the mildness of a well-made solid bar razor.

If you a BBS then this razor will take some extended practice as you learn its nuances. For many the Feather all stainless is also this kind of razor. I have been using Feather razor since I first started wet shaving and for me there is not better razor. I have learnt how to use it properly and am tickled pink every time I get a DFS in one pass using my Feather. Two passes latter and it’s like my face never had hair. With time I believe the Razorock could also do something similar. The only thing I would like to see changed on this razor would be to increase the weight in the head to aid in making it want to glide more freely and lean in towards the face.

Last edited:
Epic review. Very thorough. It certainly echoes a lot of what I have heard about the RRSS (shallow cutting angle, smoothness, etc). Thanks! It's very helpful.

The DLC coating made it easy to keep the razor clean and free of soap scum.
I think you'll find its aluminium, not DLC with steel underneath. The aluminium accounts for the light weight and smooth surface.

Joe did have some DLC Stealths at one stage and some stainless steel ones as well. It would be interesting to see if your issue with weight was better if it was a stainless steel razor.

Another great review - and I totally agree, that the large head is the weakest point of the razor and needs some practice to get used to.

The shallow angle on the other hand I find great, being as lazy as I am :)

Now the weight issue is a double edged sword: the stainless steel DLC slant is a lot heavier, and while it might give the unpracticed user a closer shave, it takes away from the main feature: ease/speed of use. No razor that I have tried gives such a quick hassle free shave...

But again you are absolutely right: this razor is not the weapon of choice if you only want a BBS and don't care about time/ease of shave.

The shallow angle on the other hand I find great, being as lazy as I am :)
I can see that if you are used to a cart this would be a highlight or at least an ease-of-use feature. But it could also distract from learning a good angle for the usual DE razors. That said, a good shaver adapts and refines their technique to the razor.

But again you are absolutely right: this razor is not the weapon of choice if you only want a BBS and don't care about time/ease of shave.
So this is easier - or at least more comfortable & straight forward - to use than the Merkur 37c/39c. But it won't give as efficient a shave as the other slants. Seems like it's more hype than substance!?! There are many other razors in the same price point (Weber, Standard, #102, #101, etc) that would deliver a more rounded shave. Is that a fair call?