Shaver Heaven Grapefruit & Lime

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
So this afternoon I had another quick one pass shave just to test the grapefruit out. I really enjoyed the dry bitty grapefruit rindy - tobs grapefruit, which was the incentive to order this tub.

When I first took a sniff I didn't like it at all. Sickly sweet citrus that reminded me of citrus toilet spray. I wanted to test how it went when lathered. Unfortunately it was the same. I can't detect anything I'd label as grapefruit, (using the tobs as the benchmark) only a generic citrusy smell. I won't be using this soap again based on the scent. That's only my opinion. I had to put other product through the brush too to get the smell out. If Arko goes in the urinal then this is surely what you spray around the air.

Sorry Anthony I like the Forest one. If I was you I wouldn't be amending this scent, I'd be starting again.

If I write about the good ones I have to mention the other too..!

Obviously this is only my nose, and only my opinion FWIW.

Yep probably a YMMV thing - maybe best PIF it out to WA…where they like arko.

Yep probably a YMMV thing - maybe best PIF it out to WA…where they like arko.
Send via Chullora and let them assess it too. They'll either let it pass to the other side of the nation. Or, like Mark1966's Jabonman, keep it since they know what's good for them. [emoji4]

Send via Chullora and let them assess it too. They'll either let it pass to the other side of the nation. Or, like Mark1966's Jabonman, keep it since they know what's good for them. [emoji4]
NOOOOOOO!!!! They'll shut the place down - biohazard you see - and then I'll get none of my parcels. I have three waiting there as I type...

NOOOOOOO!!!! They'll shut the place down - biohazard you see - and then I'll get none of my parcels. I have three waiting there as I type...
It's not that bad. Not like it's A#k%...!

I fully agree with Nick...The grapefruit lime smells exactly like toilet cleaner.

The lather production and performance were great but the scent is totally off putting!

I'll try my sample of forbidden forest and see how it goes. The scent is nice and complex so I have high hopes for that one!

Nick the Knife said:
, post: 30795, member: don't beat around ush and sugar coat it boys, just give it to us straight! ;) A certain member from the WA branch would be very proud of you both for such candid thoughts.

No offence meant toward shaver heaven. I just wanted to give an open and honest opinion, which just happens to match someone else's.

The forbidden forest was the opposite, fantastic scent! I really enjoyed my sample and it's on my shortlist for when I've used up a couple of other soaps.

The lather is a hit! I don't know if the stearic acid is from tallow but it sure behaves like a tallow soap. I would prefer it to be a harder soap though!

The lather is a hit! I don't know if the stearic acid is from tallow but it sure behaves like a tallow soap. I would prefer it to be a harder soap though!
It makes a mean lather alright! It's all the things you want from a shaving soap.
It's also good news since its early days for @Anthony who makes the soap- he only started towards the end of 2014. It's a great start and it'll be a soap that will be bound to gain in popularity this year.
I think there will be some Shaver Heaven soaps included in the next Travelling Box for all to try.

I got my shaver heaven barber shop in the mail earlier in the week. Great soap and great scent. Scent is very similar to TOBS JS with a more modern citrus twist imo. Very slick lather and awesome post shave feel.

I also tried the sample of forbidden Forrest a few weeks back from nonick. The soap scent was great lather was thick and easy to generate but nowhere near as slick as the latest formulation. I think Anthony said he is up to v5 and final now.

His Bayrum I haven't used yet but the scent is identical to the HTGAM Bayrum.

I got my shaver heaven barber shop in the mail earlier in the week. Great soap and great scent. Scent is very similar to TOBS JS with a more modern citrus twist imo. Very slick lather and awesome post shave feel.

I also tried the sample of forbidden Forrest a few weeks back from nonick. The soap scent was great lather was thick and easy to generate but nowhere near as slick as the latest formulation. I think Anthony said he is up to v5 and final now.

His Bayrum I haven't used yet but the scent is identical to the HTGAM Bayrum.

Well, if I have the previous version then I should be pretty happy with the latest one as I've read the soap has been hardened up a lot.

I have so much soap to get through, I'll probably get some in the second half of the year. Plus by then Anthony's recipe will be all settled in.

I fully agree with Nick...The grapefruit lime smells exactly like toilet cleaner................

It's just very unfortunate that citrus is the general masking scent used in a lot of cleaners or bulk products such as catty litter. What's wrong with the smell of toilet cleaner anyhow. Is it the association with toilets that subconsciously puts you off or is it the smell of any manufactured citrus? Just think, if they stumbled on a cheap way of using almonds for the same purpose, bucket loads of Cella would be heading towards landfill.

It's just very unfortunate that citrus is the general masking scent used in a lot of cleaners or bulk products such as catty litter. What's wrong with the smell of toilet cleaner anyhow. Is it the association with toilets that subconsciously puts you off or is it the smell of any manufactured citrus? Just think, if they stumbled on a cheap way of using almonds for the same purpose, bucket loads of P160 would be heading towards landfill.
FTFY ;)

Hahaha! True. Although the particular aspect of this scent I didn't like was the sickly sweet notes, which is toilet cleaner stuff. Maybe there is cheap chemicals or oils that have that piercing quality about them which makes them useful as a masking agent.

Association is powerful

It's just very unfortunate that citrus is the general masking scent used in a lot of cleaners or bulk products such as catty litter. What's wrong with the smell of toilet cleaner anyhow. Is it the association with toilets that subconsciously puts you off or is it the smell of any manufactured citrus? Just think, if they stumbled on a cheap way of using almonds for the same purpose, bucket loads of Cella would be heading towards landfill.

It's not just the association to toilets but more so the specific citrus scent being fairly offensive to my nose.

I've had many nice citrus scented soaps and citrus mixes...drh Arlington being one of my favorites with its citrus and fern.

There are many, many types of citrus scents and I'm baffled as to why Anthony would have chosen to go with one that smells so much like toilet cleaner.

Pure speculation, yet maybe the other oils hampered performance of the soap ?

There are many, many types of citrus scents and I'm baffled as to why Anthony would have chosen to go with one that smells so much like toilet cleaner.
I don't make soap but I can guess that making the scent would be a hard job.
For example, I think you may have to add the scent before setting the soap. That means you wouldn't have as much control over the final scent as you might like...

I don't make soap but I can guess that making the scent would be a hard job.
For example, I think you may have to add the scent before setting the soap. That means you wouldn't have as much control over the final scent as you might like...

I don't pretend to be an expert but if someone is going to make shaving soap and sell it for money,the customer expects that person to know what they are doing and have the expertise to have control over the full process and if it doesn't turn out as it should, it shouldn't go onto the market.

Anyway, it's all good. I just wanted to share my opinion and I still feel Anthony had nailed the performance and the forbidden forest scent is awesome! Two thumbs up!