November 2014 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
If love to try the pure fresco, it sounded very pure and err fresco when I was looking at the description yesterday in their website. Too bad they don't do samples. Looks like your next purchase will be your 50th

If love to try the pure fresco, it sounded very pure and err fresco when I was looking at the description yesterday in their website. Too bad they don't do samples. Looks like your next purchase will be your 50th

LOOKS can be deceiving. :sneaky:

I will post up preliminary thoughts and feedback on the soaps when used. The Puro Fresco? Well I am describing this totally off the top of my head so hope I don't bodge it (I could be a prat and refer to the sellers notes but what the hey)......citrus and floral tones dominate. I get a lil bit of bergamot too. Its very delicate and not overly sweet. Good one for summer IMHO.

PS. Now just to amuse you I have gone to see what Larry wrote:
Clean and fresh. Light notes of bergamot, lemon, white tea and ginger enveloped by rose, nutmeg and geranium sitting on a base of musk and wood.
Ah....not bad but I won't look for the Positions Vacat for a 'Nose' just yet.

Borked threw some various soaps and 5 of the viiiiintage Polsilvers my way.

He got his Francais Wilkies, a pack of GBE's and a few other things. Don't worry, I also put in a pack of Gillette 365's and some of the horrible Topaz blades. It all evens out!

Add @Barrister & Mann to the list of items in my possession now.
I purchased the following...
  • Fougère Aromatique Shaving Soap, Tallow (Packaging it arrived in is beyond average, by far)
  • Fougère Imperiale Shaving Soap, Tallow (Packaging it arrived in is beyond average, by far)
  • Shaving Soap - Sample Pack (think I was lucky enough to score the very last one - some interesting scents thus far and a few I've a few that I've members in mind, that I suspect will find them appealing, if they manage to sneak out of my possession that is :p )
  • Fougère Classique Aftershave Splash (Liking this scent already before trying it, smelling it sealed, the open lid and the open box divulge what I suspect will be the various drying stages)
Samples included for PCTB#3
All are Black Label Tallow...
  • Lavender
  • Orange & Cedarwood (This scent alone, to me at least, demonstrated how true to the natural scent Will's soaps are, it's Orange, yet not a sickly sweet Orange as most others are)
  • Rosemary & Peppermint
  • Beaudelaire x2
An itemised receipt with a hand written note at the bottom really does demonstrate the approach of this company.

I once again, would like to extend my grattitude and appreciation to Will @Barrister & Mann for assisting with this transaction and generously providing the samples.

They airmailed aftershave splash? Their site says otherwise - I'm surprised the US air force didn't try to bring the plane down.

I believe mine is non alcoholic, as per what's listed upon the exterior of the box, which I should include came with copious protective padding.

As for Stirling Soaps, I'm awaiting delivery of the following...

Witch Hazel - sample size
  • Vetiver
  • Bay Laurel

Post Shave Balm - 2oz
  • Lime

Designer Waterproof Labels
  • x13 (for all chosen samples and Stirling Nior)

Shave Soap - sample size

• Autumn Glory
  • Barbershop
  • Bay Rum
  • Bonaparte
  • Coniferous
  • Jasmine Sambac
  • Lime
  • Ozark Mountain
  • Port-au-Prince
  • Scots Pine Sheep
  • Sharp Dressed Man
  • Texas On Fire

Many years of shaving right there ^^^^

I believe mine is non alcoholic, as per what's listed upon the exterior of the box, which I should include came with copious protective padding.

No, it's the alcoholic one. We shipped it before we realized what a convoluted mess it was going to be to ship internationally. Once I had spoken with FedEx and determined what a nightmare it is to ship alcohol internationally, I immediately introduced a "no alcohol outside the lower 48" policy.

@borked , love your choices for those Stirling Soap samples - nearly everything I've got on my wishlist on their site. Love to hear your feedback on them & the B&M products, again wonderful choices. Must be the blue blooded 'Grand Society' pedigree in you! (y)

I'm just a little bit joyfully tearful here. I can finally report that I've got some new stuff! It's been months and months since I last reported an acquisition. Got my tube of Jermyn Street and a ten pack of Muhle blades from the @Monsta_AU . Now I just have to see if I can run the P74 down before the end of the year otherwise the Muhle blade thread will be dead and buried before I can contribute.

Menzbiz certainly get stuff out in a hurry. Took two working days to get here. Excellent. If I ever buy stuff again.......Oh let's not go there....I'm tearing up.....

Muhle R41 head from Connaught arrived today. Massive box the size of around 8 CD cases stacked on top of each other and hidden inside amongst a sea of packaging was the two individually packed heads. Nicely packed but I think they could find a better way - only cost me like 1.5 quid in post so they must have gone backwards on it.

Bought on 10NOV, was posted 11NOV - arrived today, which had me thinking it was maybe lost etc - contacted Connaught a few days ago and they replied within 24thrs apologising for the delay and stating that if it hadn't shown after 25 days they'd post a replacement item at no cost to me.

Now thats VERY good service, particularly as their shop doesn't use Paypal - so I'm not sure they're under any obligation etc to resend in that 1% of sales where they go missing. (y)

So my sincere thanks to Peter and the team at Connaught for a real commitment to excellence in customer service, which thankfully wasn't needed on this occasion but I'll be sure to shop again soon.

I've had one or two product issues and Peter;s been great to deal with.

Postage from them and Shaving.ie is probably slowest.

Timing of the orders from the UK is key. I have found if you order from shaving.ie on a Thursday night or Friday morning (AUS) at the latest, it will be dispatched & make it to Heathrow in time for the Saturday QANTAS flight.

If that happens, I get it in little over a week (second Mon/Tues following order date). Order later than that and I am sure it sits on the tarmac for a week.

Note that delivery times after mid November blow out significantly due to Xmas volumes. I personally would not bother ordering anything from now until after New Year. If it isn't in the air now, don't expect it this side of the fat red guy getting stuck in your chimney.

Last edited:
These sample aftershaves from Garry's Sample Shop arrived in the mail.

cf0fd3b7bb4dc3d8eab20bd591dda222.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.